LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Did anyone here buy their LS....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 12:32 AM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone here buy their LS....

for the styling, reliability, or for the fact that it had a V-8 with RWD? The reason why I bought mine is because I love big 4 door sedans. I used to own a 91 Ack Legend LS. I wanted to move up to Lexus to see what all the hype was about. I havent had a RWD car since I was in HS, 13 years, so I wanted to see what I was missing out on. Back then it was fun to do cookies, (donuts for the old folk). I guess Im looking forward to having fun again in the winter with my RWD "grandpa sedan."

Will this car even spin out with the TRAC on??
Old 10-28-07, 01:44 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
for the styling, reliability, or for the fact that it had a V-8 with RWD? The reason why I bought mine is because I love big 4 door sedans. I used to own a 91 Ack Legend LS. I wanted to move up to Lexus to see what all the hype was about. I havent had a RWD car since I was in HS, 13 years, so I wanted to see what I was missing out on. Back then it was fun to do cookies, (donuts for the old folk). I guess Im looking forward to having fun again in the winter with my RWD "grandpa sedan."

Will this car even spin out with the TRAC on??
You mean your "Jap Crap"? Lol jk, big time. No it wont do a donut with trac-off. It will idiot the ecu and stop spinning the wheels. I know when I first got my car, I tried to do a donut in the snow, and it seriously caught the car and stabalized it...it amazed me since all my lincoln ls did was shut the wheels off, hence kept sliding.

OH, I bought it for the looks...i love big luxury sedans...but nothing american or cheap...gotta be classy
Old 10-28-07, 02:33 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
You mean your "Jap Crap"? Lol jk, big time. No it wont do a donut with trac-off. It will idiot the ecu and stop spinning the wheels. I know when I first got my car, I tried to do a donut in the snow, and it seriously caught the car and stabalized it...it amazed me since all my lincoln ls did was shut the wheels off, hence kept sliding.

OH, I bought it for the looks...i love big luxury sedans...but nothing american or cheap...gotta be classy
actually, you can very easily do a donut in a 95-97

98-00 too, make sure that VSC is off and off ya go

this isnt a mercedes, turning VSC off disables BOTH traction control and the actual skid control. (in 98-00)

pre 98 didnt have skid control, ONLY trac, which again, could be turned COMPLETELY off.
Old 10-28-07, 11:46 AM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought it for lots of reasons... reliability, style, baller factor, comfort, and an overall good reputation...

I bought it knowing that it weighs 2 tons and it's going to be a slow turd (I spend time around lots of turbo and built V8 cars), but so far it's been a great daily driver.
Old 10-28-07, 12:20 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i bought mine because i wanted a big, quiet,super comfortable car. I had to have amazing reliability, and easy to work on. and i had a budget of 2.5 grand.
The LS400 was the only car i would/could consider.

car just turned 240k! still runs amazingly well. 30k miles in 1.5 years and not one mechanical failure.

No other car come close
Old 10-28-07, 12:25 PM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my 96 LS 400 for first the reliability then the style and shape, And easier to work on and cheaper parts than BMW or MERCEDES.
Old 10-28-07, 01:02 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

To be honest, I love the styling, and looks of the 98-00, both inside and out.

I fell in love when it was introduced in 98, shocked everyone... it looked sharp with its new front adn rear clear lenses and HID'.s

Than you gotta love the power, the luxury, and how much room it provided considering its length in total.

Great love the stock sound system (even by today's standards).
Old 10-28-07, 01:19 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Why did I buy an LS? I was vacationing in Florida abot three years ago and decided to visit some upscale auto dealers to check out some cars. I went to a Benz dealership and checked out a Maybach selling for 200K. They would'nt let me test drive it, so I test drove a regular Mercedes and then stopped by a Lexus dealer. I had seen the LS's around, but had never driven one. I drove an LS 430 and it was the smoothest driving car I had ever been in. I was really impressed and never forgot the experience.

My vacation ended and I came back home. Last year a business associate dropped by the office for lunch and we drove to a restaurant in his 1997 LS 400 with 150k miles on it. My ride in that car rekindled the experience I had with the 430 in Florida. After getting back to the office, I began to wonder how much a used LS might run. I begin checking the web and saw several cars that were in the price range of what I could afford. I saw a 1996 LS with 36,700 miles on it in NJ and decided to go check it out. It was mint and drove like a new car. I bought it on the spot.

I spend a lot of time in a car and this is the type of car that time goes quick in. I wanted something comfortable, durable and powerful. The LS hits all of those cylinders and then some. This is the kind of car one can buy every 10 years or so and be set. This is why I wanted an LS.
Old 10-28-07, 02:43 PM
tcbted
Driver

I wanted the LS experience based upon reading these boards for many years, while owning a variety of Cadillacs.
The Cadillac boards were full of people seeking help for major powertrain issues.
The Lexus board had posts focusing on very minor annoyances by comparison.

I consider it a privilege to own one of these finely crafted machines.
The more I drive it, the more I appreciate the understated elegance and commitment to perfection.
I wake up looking forward to driving the car each day.
Old 10-28-07, 02:54 PM
bippU!
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

big trunk = more bodies . . . . .
Old 10-28-07, 03:40 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got my current one basedon the fact that my last one i had back in 2000, had no problems and was a great car with 192k miles on it. i really wanted to get antoher one and get out of fast turbo cars. of course, now i'm hooked on vip and it's not really any cheaper than a turbo car, just slower! but the styling and the necks it breaks as i drive down the road is all worth it.
Old 10-28-07, 03:58 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

V8 power, really nice styling, considered by some to be the most reliable car ever. What's not to like?

To the original poster, I also came from the acura family (93 LS legend), but kept mine. It's fun to switch between the two
Old 10-28-07, 06:47 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

I was actually looking into buying a 7-series BMW before I bought my LS400.

Good thing I didn't, eh? No mechanical issues or electrical problems since I've owned it (5k miles), and I really beat the hell outta my car too, with 186k on it.
Old 10-28-07, 07:25 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought it for Toyota build quality and the 1UZ-FE engine.
Old 10-29-07, 01:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 99 for the reliability. I too came from multiple Acura Legends, but coupes. I'm primarily a coupe person and more of a sporty car person. Large 4-Door Sedans for me is more of what comes along with being married with a kid. If I had my way I'd still be driving a 2 seater sports car. That said, I like the over all looks and power of the 98+ LS400. I don't like the fact that these years still have the gas tank behind the rear seat, so the trunk space is very limited especially for such a large sedan. The car is a little larger than what I'm used to driving (I'm more of the GS Sedan size type of person) but I find it makes for a great family car.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 10-29-07 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Did anyone here buy their LS....