LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hi-tech ipod dock for LS400 console

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 08:46 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hi-tech ipod dock for LS400 console

Hi friends,

I got fed up with my ipod sliding all over the gearshift area, so I made a dock for it. Thought i would share.

This is for Cassette adaptor type connection...

First you need a black rubber piece that would fit nicely into the cassette slot. I stole one of my wife's flip-flops when she wasn't looking and used that. It was the perfect size. If you don't have a wife/gf, go to the mall and get one for christ's sake! (black flip-flop that is. A gf is gonna cost you more than the damn car) (men's is too big, you need ladies')

Use a long smooth knife to make 2 clean cuts about 1 inch appart. You want to tie up the cable nice and tight and size of a cassette width long. Its gonna live inside the slot. Don't have any loose loops to get caught in mechanism.

Now go test it to see if its the desired size. If it is, heat up a small screwdriver and make a hole in the right place. Be carefull with the candle...

Now push in the plug and adjust it so it sits flush with the surface like so...I should have gotten a black cassette adaptor. Would have looked much nicer.

Almost done...Charge up your ipod
Old 10-27-07, 08:59 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Now I had some black leather piece which i used on the edge to make it nice. Also made a little loop to cover the wire coming out from under. Use your imagination...pop in the adaptor, carefully slide in the cable knot and then slide in the dock...This setup allows you to remove the ipod when you leave the car. Leaving the ipod there when you leave the car parked in public is like begging for a break-in. Just leave the dock in permanent. The plug is strong enough to support the ipod IF the ipod is fully resting on the dock. You wanna make the plug flush...

Now you don't want to get in trouble so glue the remaining piece back on. If you get caught just deny any knowledge or just change the topic. Maybe it shrunk cos somebody put it in dryer eh? God only knows...

Neil young - Heart of Gold

Cheers
Old 10-27-07, 09:40 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Creative...but i dont want to to get slaughtered by my girlfriend
Old 10-28-07, 12:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

interesting but im not a big fan of tape deck adapters
Old 10-28-07, 05:14 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time well spent.
It does cover your HVAC controls though.

BUT all is not lost.
I will do this to my wf's slippers - Thanks for a great idea
Originally Posted by Bali26
Old 10-28-07, 05:23 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

ha! very inventive!
i use a cassette adapter as well....was going to do a direct hookup modification that was listed here, but decided not to be cutting into amp wires to do it....the cassette adapter i have sounds great! i have a 99ls with navi (and i don't smoke in my car) so i just set my ipod in the ashtray...fits perfectly and it's really convenient.
oh, and yer gonna be in big trouble when the wife starts huntin for those black flip flops!
Old 10-28-07, 08:00 PM
osang26
Driver School Candidate

Default Sooooooooo smart!

You're very creative. Now, I have an idea on how to fix my car. I need a piece of my hubby's slipper.
Old 10-28-07, 08:11 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Yeah, I've learnt the hard way that one must avoid messing with the electronics as much as possible. 10% chance you gonna make it better, 90% chance you gonna mess it up.

Furthermore, there's little point in attempting to get sound quality of a sound studio from a car since there's always noise coming in from outside when driving no matter what. As long the sound is reasonably clear, I'm happy.

Also I don't like wires dangling around and want one touch operation (safer) instead of having to hold the ipod first to change songs. I was gonna buy one of those holders but I don't like their look either.

Now if only I can fix my torn subwoofer, i'd be good to go...
Old 10-28-07, 08:25 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you can get those sandals for under $5 in the Asian areas. Too bad my ipod doesn't connect from the bottom. Good thinking on your part.
Old 10-29-07, 06:24 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Yeah, I've learnt the hard way that one must avoid messing with the electronics as much as possible. 10% chance you gonna make it better, 90% chance you gonna mess it up.

Furthermore, there's little point in attempting to get sound quality of a sound studio from a car since there's always noise coming in from outside when driving no matter what. As long the sound is reasonably clear, I'm happy.

Also I don't like wires dangling around and want one touch operation (safer) instead of having to hold the ipod first to change songs. I was gonna buy one of those holders but I don't like their look either.

yeah, after all, we ARE talking about mp3's here....ya can't get sound studio quality from an mp3 anyway.....my stock cd player sounds great, so i usually listen to that more than my ipod .....but it's nice to be able to use my ipod.
i had a direct connection in my lincoln (before i got rid of it to get the LS) and to be honest, there's no difference in sound quality from the cd adapter....
Old 10-29-07, 06:46 AM
Rice
Pole Position

If it just got unglued around the edges, you can glue it back. I know lots of 430s with Mark Lev have that problem and people end up paying $1500 to replace the subs when all they need to do is glue it back.
Old 10-29-07, 09:20 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Rice
If it just got unglued around the edges, you can glue it back. I know lots of 430s with Mark Lev have that problem and people end up paying $1500 to replace the subs when all they need to do is glue it back.
i know more people buying aftermarket free air/marine subs for those than buying the $1500 replacement
Old 10-29-07, 09:39 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

I was surprised to see that my sub's cone edges are not attached to anything. The cone attaches in the center only and not around the edge if you know what I mean. Also its torn, so I'm looking at a re-cone which is $80, which i'm reluctant to pay as I just ordered Arnott UCAs so i'm a little broke.

Its so hard to find an equivalent sub online anywhere...
Old 10-29-07, 09:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I was surprised to see that my sub's cone edges are not attached to anything. The cone attaches in the center only and not around the edge if you know what I mean. Also its torn, so I'm looking at a re-cone which is $80, which i'm reluctant to pay as I just ordered Arnott UCAs so i'm a little broke.

Its so hard to find an equivalent sub online anywhere...
there were 3 8" free air JL subs for sale here for like 80 not a month ago
Old 10-29-07, 11:14 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
there were 3 8" free air JL subs for sale here for like 80 not a month ago
What do you mean by "here" ? Do they ship? Website?

8 inch is not enough, should have 2 ohms below 40 Rms etc. ( I sound like a picky lady don't I?)

Quick Reply: Hi-tech ipod dock for LS400 console