LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Low mi. '94 LS for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 08:04 AM
Spacepig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mi. '94 LS for me?

Newbie here, but been lurking for a while. Can finally begin shopping for my first Lex. Been waffling between both GS and LS, but looking today at a '94 LS w/ only 60k. Has the Nak. sound system and is apparently mint except for the beginnings of the dreaded flickering dash. I'm also aware of the PS issues with these cars, but anything else unique or tricky I should look for? Also, how does one value a car like this? KBB is ridiculous high ($10.8k for excellent) while Edmunds seems way low ($5.6k). Owner is using KBB as starting point, but the office Lex-head says if spending $8-10k, I should go for newer cars and not get hung up on the low mileage since they run forever. Any thoughts appreciated. I look forward to becoming an owner soon (since I'm selling main driver this week).
Old 10-27-07, 08:12 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

check susps. they are expensive to replace, check maintenance with the car too like timing belt, water pump, caps, rotors, everything. the flickering dash is easy to fix if u have soldering skills but try to use that to bump down the price a bit. any lights that come on? TRAC? Check engine light? ABS? Airbag? Seatbelt light? good luck. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html to pull the codes.
Old 10-27-07, 08:23 AM
Spacepig
Rookie

Thanks for quick reply! I thought I didn't have to worry about the timing belt until 90k (or is there also an age issue there?)
Old 10-27-07, 08:26 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

u never know, might be good to just inspect the damn thing while ur there! costly maintenance to repair those stuff unless ur a DIY-er person.
Old 10-27-07, 01:16 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

OK. Now I have seen this car. It is very nice and completely loaded with the air suspension, traction control, gold package, Nakamichi system w/ changer. Cost $61k in 1994 per sticker. A couple of stupid questions:

1. I don't know much about the air suspension. Is this system a positive or a negative? I'm sure the Japanese do it better than the Germans, but the car I'm replacing is a '72 MBZ 300SEL 4.5 w/ air suspension, and one of the reasons I'm replacing it is because of the cost/hassle of the air system.

2. Is the cladding on the lower doors supposed to look like brushed metal? It is the same color as the paint, but I can't tell if it is supposed to have a sort of brushed appearance, or whether somebody tried to "polish" it with steel wool. Panels actually feel like they are plastic and perhaps easily replaceable if the latter.

3. There is a slight rumbling/grinding noise coming from the front end that is more pronounced when you turn the steering wheel even slightly. Sounds a little ominous.

Thanks for any help. And I promise to be a meaningful contributor once I land one of these (hopefully this one).
Old 10-27-07, 04:20 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air suspension is always a problem waiting to happen. You can convert to springs but its gonna cost ya.

Nothing on these cars is easy to replace. Dont assume. Some parts are hard to get used.

Get the steering checked out by a mechanic. Get the whole car checked out.
Old 10-27-07, 05:09 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't buy UCF20-21 if you're gonna pay around $8-10K. The mileage may be low, but the years already caught up to the girl. For that money, I'd get a UCF20 or UCF21 and not worry so much about mileage.

Spacehog is a British band, aint it?
Old 10-27-07, 07:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

think avalon meant a UCF10-11 which is the first gen, hes telling u to get the 2nd gen.
Old 10-27-07, 10:37 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't Buy It. Air Suspension Sucks. It Will Cost You Big Time In The Very Very Near Future. i USED TO HAVE A LS with Air suspension, the right rear air shocks cost me over $1,000 to replace. I sold it right after that cus I did not want to pay for the other three! Trust Me On This.

Last edited by lexie; 10-27-07 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 11:47 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the info. I was planning to definitely get the car checked out (unless I decide before to bail completely). I offered 8k with the condition that it pass my mechanic's inspection, but that price may not be accepted, in which case I'm gone. At least 2 of the air shocks were replaced recently, but it sounds like this feature should be avoided regardless.
Is the issue basically the shocks, or are there other components to worry about (my MBZ has a compressor, leveling valves and other plumbing to worry about).

I'd love to find a 2nd gen car if 8k will get me into one that is not trashed. Perhaps the 150k mile cars are mechanically sound, but ones I've seen can be pretty trashed inside, and I imagine that new seats cost as much as a couple of air shocks.

Avalon42: Not aware of any connection to any bands. The handle derives from my propensity for large cars- spacepigs in the garage; eg., a '59 Cadillac.
Old 10-28-07, 06:27 AM
Rice
Pole Position

I would not buy it for the following reasons:
1. Year and milage. This is a 17 y/o car with 60K miles on it. Do the math. It means that the car was driven less then 300 miles per month? I know a lot of people who GULP roll back the odometer, paint the interior to make it look like new and do other things to make the car look almost new.
2. Air suspension. Like others have said, this is a major no-no.
3. Price. You can get a very nice 2nd gen for 8K.
Old 10-28-07, 01:06 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spacepig
Thanks everyone for the info. I was planning to definitely get the car checked out (unless I decide before to bail completely). I offered 8k with the condition that it pass my mechanic's inspection, but that price may not be accepted, in which case I'm gone. At least 2 of the air shocks were replaced recently, but it sounds like this feature should be avoided regardless.
Is the issue basically the shocks, or are there other components to worry about (my MBZ has a compressor, leveling valves and other plumbing to worry about).

I'd love to find a 2nd gen car if 8k will get me into one that is not trashed. Perhaps the 150k mile cars are mechanically sound, but ones I've seen can be pretty trashed inside, and I imagine that new seats cost as much as a couple of air shocks.

Avalon42: Not aware of any connection to any bands. The handle derives from my propensity for large cars- spacepigs in the garage; eg., a '59 Cadillac.
sure, there is compressor and other stuff within the air suspension system. This option was to design to derive income for Lexus service department from this car years after sale.
Old 10-28-07, 01:14 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

On the mileage issue, I do believe it, although I haven't carfaxed it yet. The records I skimmed through show gradually accumulating mileage by elderly owner who had the car serviced at Palm Springs dealer, including new timing belt at 45k in '05. The elderly may be othe only ones who don't drive these cars much. I have a friend of the family on east coast w/ early 1990 LS that currently has about 23k on it. He is 85, but still driving, and I've gotten tired of waiting for him to hang up the keys. Also his is the most stripped LS I've ever seen- cloth seats and no moonroof.
Old 10-28-07, 01:27 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

I wouldn't pay more than 5,000 for that car regardless of the miles. Check out ebay or cars.com. You'll see a very rare situation, if any, where a 94 is going for 8 to 10 k
Old 10-28-07, 05:13 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

Thanks to every here here who pretty much convinced me to run from this deal, but seller made the decision for me; after consulting with her dad, seller decided to remain firm on their price of $9k. Whatever else I do, I will steer clear of air suspension. I did not realize that this air $uspenesion $ystem is actually quite similar to that on my 73 MBZ 300 that I'm replacing with a Lexus. Does Lexus warn you, like MBZ does, to never be at all under an air susp. car (even reaching under), because of the risk that the system could suddenly drop? Or maybe there's not enough ground clearance for that to be a problem.