LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My last mpg on $25 premium.

Old 10-20-07, 11:20 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My last mpg on $25 premium.

Just over 8 gallons, 50-60 miles were highway out of the total of 201 miles traveled. That comes to 24.5 mpg.Not bad for my style of driving in the city, drag racer from light to light. Ill tell you what my next $25 does, being that it is all city driving. What are your personal numbers?
Old 10-21-07, 07:00 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25mpg city is very impressive in San Diego. I got about 1/2 that in all city driving but on the highway at 55-60mph I got nearer to 30mpg
Old 10-21-07, 02:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In pure city driving we average around 12-14 MPG. My wife and I both live between 2.5 miles and 4 miles from work, so sometimes the LS sees nothing but city driving. You have to figure in morning and afternoon traffic to travel that 2.5-4 miles in stop and go traffic can take 30-40 minutes. In 50/50 mixed highway driving we get about 17-19 MPG. Never really got to go majority highway often, but I've seen it above 20 MPG two or three times since I bought the car.
Old 10-21-07, 06:59 PM
LS400_Fan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Just over 8 gallons, 50-60 miles were highway out of the total of 201 miles traveled. That comes to 24.5 mpg.Not bad for my style of driving in the city, drag racer from light to light. Ill tell you what my next $25 does, being that it is all city driving. What are your personal numbers?
I'm sorry, but that's impossible.
Old 10-21-07, 09:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

not really......

present an arguement, not a random statement that makes you look ignorant.
Old 10-21-07, 10:14 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
In pure city driving we average around 12-14 MPG. My wife and I both live between 2.5 miles and 4 miles from work, so sometimes the LS sees nothing but city driving. You have to figure in morning and afternoon traffic to travel that 2.5-4 miles in stop and go traffic can take 30-40 minutes. In 50/50 mixed highway driving we get about 17-19 MPG. Never really got to go majority highway often, but I've seen it above 20 MPG two or three times since I bought the car.
I'm average about 11 mpg in town and I thought something is wrong. Do U think your 12-14 mpg is normal? Do you think new O2 sensor may help improve mileage?
Old 10-21-07, 10:29 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Suppose 1995LS400 gets 30 mpg highway, and that 60 miles of the 201 are highway. 60 miles at 30 mpg takes 2 gallons. That leaves "just over" 6 gallons for 141 miles of heavy-footed city driving, which is over 20 mpg (assuming "just over" is less than 1 gallon). If "just over" is less than a quarter gallon, then the drag-racing city mileage would be over 22.5 mpg. That does seem very high.
Old 10-21-07, 10:41 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sanpete
Suppose 1995LS400 gets 30 mpg highway, and that 60 miles of the 201 are highway. 60 miles at 30 mpg takes 2 gallons. That leaves "just over" 6 gallons for 141 miles of heavy-footed city driving, which is over 20 mpg (assuming "just over" is less than 1 gallon). If "just over" is less than a quarter gallon, then the drag-racing city mileage would be over 22.5 mpg. That does seem very high.
I didnt really mean "drag racing" from light to light. But I do take off faster than your normal commuter. Normally I see them in my rearview everytime I take off. But all that is besides the point. About my mpg in this car. I seriously cannot believe what I am getting compared to some of you guys that have replied to this thread. The absolute worst city driving mpg that I have had in this car is 18 mpg, all city driving. I thought that was terrible. All I have to say is fill your car up at a BP or Shell and make sure that you always put in 91+ octane. It may cost more, but it will ALWAYS give you better gas mileage.
Old 10-21-07, 11:24 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
I didnt really mean "drag racing" from light to light. But I do take off faster than your normal commuter. Normally I see them in my rearview everytime I take off. But all that is besides the point. About my mpg in this car. I seriously cannot believe what I am getting compared to some of you guys that have replied to this thread. The absolute worst city driving mpg that I have had in this car is 18 mpg, all city driving. I thought that was terrible. All I have to say is fill your car up at a BP or Shell and make sure that you always put in 91+ octane. It may cost more, but it will ALWAYS give you better gas mileage.
I always fill up with chevron supreme.
Old 10-22-07, 03:00 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexie
I'm average about 11 mpg in town and I thought something is wrong. Do U think your 12-14 mpg is normal? Do you think new O2 sensor may help improve mileage?
I do think it is normal. My car had 47k miles when I bought it. While I can't be 100% sure that the engine and trans were not abused before I bought the car, I personally can't detect anything wrong with it. My car now has just under 53K miles on it. I used to live in Kapolei and had an SC400. Since I work during off peak traffic hours, I used to get about 22 combined MPG on that car. I found my LS400 under similar driving gets slightly better than that, so I have to assume there is nothing wrong with the engine at all. Just that 4.0L V8s just don't like idling low and moving slow during stop and go city driving The 12-14 MPG is when the LS is used to go to work only. If we take the car out on the weekend and do some longer highway/freeway driving, we are getting about 17-18 combined MPG.

PS. My LS is a 99.
Old 10-23-07, 08:54 PM
LS400_Fan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
not really......

present an arguement, not a random statement that makes you look ignorant.
Sure

Based upon the original poster's math he drove 201 miles with 50-60 miles being highway with a little over 8 gallons to achieve 24.5mpg Using Excel's goal seek function you end up with 8.205 gallons to be exact with the goal being 24.5

According to www.fueleconomy.gov a 1995 LS400 achieves approximately 17mpg in the city and 23mpg on the highway for an estimated combined number of 19mpg.

I own a 1996 LS400 that has been serviced at a lexus dealer it's whole life and have roughly 6 months of data including: miles driven between fill-ups, mpg, mpd, with comments because i wanted to keep track of how well the gas mileage was. I also drive the car like a grandma 90% of the time. My 6 month data set has the following results:

low = 17.26
high = 21.26
average = 18.86

I do a pretty even driving between city and highway everyday to work. Obviously my high included a lot of highway driving and the low was a lot of city driving but is pretty inline with the EPA estimates. But you can quickly see how fast the "high" is closer to the combined because even though 3/4 of the driving was highway, the remaining 1/4 of city really dragged down the average.

So let's assume that the original poster achieved 24mpg of highway driving for 55 miles (split the difference on his 50-60 estimate).

That equates to roughly 2.25 gallons of gas used. This now leaves us 146 miles of city driving which the original poster admitted they drove aggressively, this means they will not achieve a normal 17 to 18 possible mpg but more like 14-16mpg. We'll go with 15mpg as a safe estimate (11.7% decrease which isn't unreasonable).

Assuming this 15mpg for the remaining 146 miles you end up with consuming roughly 9.75 gallons of gas.

--------------------

So in my estimation the 201 miles driven would consume roughly 12 gallons of gas. The estimated overall mpg would then be 18.27mpg which is more in line with the combined number the fueleconomy website has stated.

So there ya go Now just to show what the mpg would have to be to achieve what the original poster is claiming would be is shown below. Please note my assumption for the below is that the highway mpg is 35% better than the city driving by using the fuel economy website as a guide (23mpg on highway is 35% better than 17mpg in city)

201 total miles
8.20411 gallons used
24.5mpg observed
55 miles estimated to be highway
146 miles remaining to be city miles

To achieve the ratio i stated above of 35% better mileage on the highway than the city you'd end up with the following:

146 miles @ 22.76mpg in the city
55 miles @ 30.73mpg on the highway

201 miles combined at 24.5mpg

So like i said in my original post, what the original poster of this thread is claiming is really not possible.

Thanks and take care

PS My day job is as a Financial Analyst with a heavy focus in forecasting, budgeting, and financial/pricing modeling
Old 10-23-07, 09:43 PM
subparrnd
Pole Position

nicely done!
Old 10-23-07, 09:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400_Fan
Sure

Based upon the original poster's math he drove 201 miles with 50-60 miles being highway with a little over 8 gallons to achieve 24.5mpg Using Excel's goal seek function you end up with 8.205 gallons to be exact with the goal being 24.5

According to www.fueleconomy.gov a 1995 LS400 achieves approximately 17mpg in the city and 23mpg on the highway for an estimated combined number of 19mpg.

I own a 1996 LS400 that has been serviced at a lexus dealer it's whole life and have roughly 6 months of data including: miles driven between fill-ups, mpg, mpd, with comments because i wanted to keep track of how well the gas mileage was. I also drive the car like a grandma 90% of the time. My 6 month data set has the following results:

low = 17.26
high = 21.26
average = 18.86

I do a pretty even driving between city and highway everyday to work. Obviously my high included a lot of highway driving and the low was a lot of city driving but is pretty inline with the EPA estimates. But you can quickly see how fast the "high" is closer to the combined because even though 3/4 of the driving was highway, the remaining 1/4 of city really dragged down the average.

So let's assume that the original poster achieved 24mpg of highway driving for 55 miles (split the difference on his 50-60 estimate).

That equates to roughly 2.25 gallons of gas used. This now leaves us 146 miles of city driving which the original poster admitted they drove aggressively, this means they will not achieve a normal 17 to 18 possible mpg but more like 14-16mpg. We'll go with 15mpg as a safe estimate (11.7% decrease which isn't unreasonable).

Assuming this 15mpg for the remaining 146 miles you end up with consuming roughly 9.75 gallons of gas.

--------------------

So in my estimation the 201 miles driven would consume roughly 12 gallons of gas. The estimated overall mpg would then be 18.27mpg which is more in line with the combined number the fueleconomy website has stated.

So there ya go Now just to show what the mpg would have to be to achieve what the original poster is claiming would be is shown below. Please note my assumption for the below is that the highway mpg is 35% better than the city driving by using the fuel economy website as a guide (23mpg on highway is 35% better than 17mpg in city)

201 total miles
8.20411 gallons used
24.5mpg observed

To achieve the ratio i stated above of 35% better mileage on the highway than the city you'd end up with the following:

So like i said in my original post, what the original poster of this thread is claiming is really not possible.

Thanks and take care

PS My day job is as a Financial Analyst with a heavy focus in forecasting, budgeting, and financial/pricing modeling
this is an excellent writeup but doesnt prove that its impossible.

i personally hit 22mpg right after i purchased my old 95 LS400 in a 80/20 combination of city/hwy driving.

cars are like everything else in this world, reality is always a bit different from theory, cars in particular respond to a myriad of variables, humidity, temperature, road surface abrasion, tire CoF, tire inflation pressure, barometric pressure, relation to sea level, wind speed, and then you get into the variables on the gasoline itself

and you should know as well as me the useless nature of the earlier EPA mpg estimates

so yes, while it isnt likely to happen on a consistent basis, it is very POSSIBLE.
Old 10-23-07, 11:00 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS400_Fan
Sure

low = 17.26
high = 21.26
average = 18.86

--------------------

201 total miles
8.20411 gallons used
24.5mpg observed

Thanks and take care

I dont want to be a smart azz about this, but that is what i got, seriously. Im in the middle of my next test with the Lex on $25 petro, I just havent used it all up yet. But dude, not to start an internet argument, the thing about ur job being a financial analyst/pricing modeling/forecasting. I took Advanced Algebra and Geometry in 10th, and Physics in 11th. I "too" know a little about math as well, bra.
Old 10-25-07, 09:44 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the way some people in life look at the glass half full and half empty I have a 91 lexus 400 with 192,000 miles and I get about 19-20 miles in town and I don't jack rabbit start I also replaced my air filter with an K&N air filter which makes a little more noise but have noticed I get about 23-24 miles on the open freeway in California I also run my tires at 35PSI and use mobil one snythetic oil which is supposed to help get better mileage. I run snythetic oil in the rear end, transmission power steering, and motor and I would like to think this will help get a little better mileage. Who knows maybe so, I know that BMW Mercedes and high end car all run synthetic oil through out their cars since 1997 or about that time. I started in 1986 on my toyota cressida and ran it 460,000 miles befor selling it and it still runs today with the same trans and motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My last mpg on $25 premium.