Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS400
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

*JASBMO's '98 LS400*

Old 04-27-10, 08:58 AM   #31
Lexozz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Nice ride, leave just the way it is, looks perfect for a daily IMO.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Lexozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 01:43 PM   #32
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitz View Post
I use Meguiars Gold Class Endurance. I try to give it at least an hour to dry. Usually lasts a couple weeks even through rain.
What tire sizes do you have on those wheels? Have you rolled the fender lips?
I only ask becasue at that height you shouldn't have any real rubbing issues unless you have aggressive offsets but it doesn't look like that's the case.
The tire sizes are 245/35/R20 in the front and 275/30/R20 in the rear. My offsets are not aggressive at all, but when I turn up a slope, or corner hard, the tires will rub against the fender.

The other rubbing is when I crank the steering wheel all the way to one side, there is rubbing against the plastic shields inside the wheel wells. In fact, 3 years of this have put a hole in one of them. I heard the best solution to this is using a heat gun and pushing them back. Anyone tried this?
Jasbmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 01:53 PM   #33
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Trader Score: (10)

PureDrifter
Send a message via AIM to PureDrifter

wont help too much as the washer bottle is there.

it's going to rub at lock as long as you run that front tire size. try a 225/35-20, that's what did it for me
3. Black 2004 IS300 -Manaray-HKS-Eibach-Kumho-
4. Ebony Teal 1995 LS400 11-8-06
PureDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 01:58 PM   #34
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

Yup, 225/35 front and 245-255/35 rear and you'll be set.

Liberty on Facebook - Liberty VIP Blog
Schnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 06:24 PM   #35
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

PureDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitz View Post
Yup, 225/35 front and 245-255/35 rear and you'll be set.
ehh at his fitment and given the lack of rubbing i'd keep the 275s. wider tires=better unless you have fitment issues.
Old 04-27-10, 06:55 PM   #36
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking more aesthetics.

Old 04-27-10, 07:26 PM   #37
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

PureDrifter

yeah but stretching tires JUST to stretch tires (and not because you need it for fitment) = nono.
Old 04-28-10, 12:05 AM   #38
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureDrifter View Post
yeah but stretching tires JUST to stretch tires (and not because you need it for fitment) = nono.
I like this reasoning. I've seen so many wheels wrapped with rubber bands and the extreme stretching looks dangerous. I've had to resolve some bends in my wheels in the past, even with my "meaty" tires, so I can only imagine how much more prudent rubber band riders must be. I also like to occasionally tear thru the twisties on Sunset Blvd. towards the water, so I need some meat for that.

Don't get me wrong, I think low pro and even some stretching looks awesome, but there should be a rhyme and reason for stretching, beyond looks.
Old 04-28-10, 04:58 AM   #39
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

245 or 255 on a 10" wheel is hardly a stretch. 225 yes.

Old 09-03-10, 06:58 PM   #40
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

I never posted the ash tray "integrated" EDFC. Unfortunately the device is too large so it's impossible to close the ash tray.

I did this when I first got my coilovers as I didn't like to look of an EDFC just hanging out under the dash, or completely invisible in the center console, etc.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-10, 01:35 AM   #41
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Thats pretty clean and clever Jasbmo. Have you thought about putting it in the upper left slot above the extra CD cartridge cubby? I think That would probably be my second choice after the one you chose, but Due to the EDFC being eye candy for knuckle heads I would have to cover it up.
j three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 11:12 AM   #42
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by j three View Post
Thats pretty clean and clever Jasbmo. Have you thought about putting it in the upper left slot above the extra CD cartridge cubby? I think That would probably be my second choice after the one you chose, but Due to the EDFC being eye candy for knuckle heads I would have to cover it up.
I saw something similar in magazine article featuring "Kevin Dimdiman's Junction Produce LS400" (here are the images from the article: http://www.jdmchat.com/showthread.php?t=807), where the air suspension gauges were embedded into that area...

...for me that would've been more work for the wiring and not as easy to revert back to stock, also it'd be harder to reach, especially trying to adjust dampening while driving.

The EDFC's green backlight match well with the stock LS400 backlights, (thanks to the brightness adjustments) so at night it looks clean. However, when the car is off, frankly the EDFC standalone looks somewhat dinky and small, and doesn't have the appeal to knuckleheads as say an aftermarket navi or deck.

Parking access cards and standard business cards also fit perfectly into this ash tray slot...I highly recommend this to those of you who don't smoke and need an easily accessible place to hide standard sized cards of any sort. You just pull out the ash tray insert.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-10, 05:38 AM   #43
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I see what you're saying about easy access to it for changing road conditions. Also I wanted to ask how is your camber at that height, and the tire wear as a result? I had no finger gap when I first got my coilovers but raised it back up to a two finger gap due to rubbing in front from my 245/35/20. I'm getting tires soon and switching out to 225/35/20 recommended to me by Puredrifter a few months back. I didn't get an alignment when I lowered but managed to get about 34k miles on my Yoko S.drives so far. I might be able to squeeze 40k. What kind of mileage are you getting from your's?
j three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 07:14 PM   #44
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by j three View Post
Yeah, I see what you're saying about easy access to it for changing road conditions. Also I wanted to ask how is your camber at that height, and the tire wear as a result? I had no finger gap when I first got my coilovers but raised it back up to a two finger gap due to rubbing in front from my 245/35/20. I'm getting tires soon and switching out to 225/35/20 recommended to me by Puredrifter a few months back. I didn't get an alignment when I lowered but managed to get about 34k miles on my Yoko S.drives so far. I might be able to squeeze 40k. What kind of mileage are you getting from your's?
The camber is great, I believe its -1.3 in the rear, and even less in the front and I don't even notice uneven tire wear. I'm running Yokohamas in the rear and they've lasted me over 20K and still have a ton of rubber left

When my LS400 was stock, I'd get 19/26-28 city/highway. With the wheels, I get 14/26-28 city/highway. It averages to 20 MPG.
Old 03-27-11, 07:40 PM   #45
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

The Black Pearl emblems I picked up from a dealership 4 years back were fading pretty badly so I decided to spray my other set (originally gold) of emblems gloss black.

The biggest pita was applying the 3M adhesive, but overall I'm satisfied with the way they came out.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-11, 07:40 PM