LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Why is Lexus such a dependable car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 10:43 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Lexus such a dependable car?

Before this year, Lexus has been the most dependable car in the world for like the past 12 years. In 2007 Buick finally tied Lexus for the most dependable, according to Consumer Reports. Is Lexus the **** or what, comments?
Old 09-19-07, 10:57 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

I could probably hang on to mine until I retire if I wanted to. That's a very long time from now. I have no disappointments with my LS.
Old 09-20-07, 08:19 AM
mac6694
Driver

Agreed. Current issues aside, caused by shoddy maintenance, this car is solid as a rock when it comes to performance and reliability.
Old 09-20-07, 08:29 AM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Ive been going strong for 15 years
Old 09-20-07, 09:27 AM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

I find it hard to imagine that Buick was the most dependable car in the World. Afterall, it's still a GM product...

I love my LS400. I bought it with 224k on the clock, and I've put nearly 10,000 miles on it since April with no issues whatsoever. I had one problem with the car, but it was easy to resolve and didn't require my spending any money to fix it. I see no reason why this thing won't go well beyond 300k miles as long as I keep up on the maintenence. I haven't seen a lot of Buicks with mileage like that.
Old 09-20-07, 09:53 AM
98LS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about dependability. I've had my 98 for three years and have had to do nothing but maintenance. It doesn't look, feel, or drive like a 10 year old car. I know there may be some repairs down the road due to age, but that's to be expected.

This car is an incredible value for the money, whether it's new or used.
Old 09-20-07, 02:09 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 95 has 190,000 miles and still runs like new - As for Buick, they did rank #1 with Lexus in JD Power - I'd check Consumer Reports though to see actual reliability. Either way, good for Buick getting the positive PR. I have seen some cool Buick VIP style cars however I am still partial to the LS
Old 09-21-07, 12:09 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why are they so dependable? because they were built right and researched to no end before they were put into production. the early LS's were engineeered in the mid to late 80s and tested for years before they were ever put into production. every flaw, every shortcoming was fixed and improved before the cars were made available. i dont know of any other car company that tests their high end vehicles as extensively or for as long a time before production.
Old 09-21-07, 02:19 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point - all parts in the LS are made to tighter tolerances than American I believe. This means alot in terms of part life, efficiency, etc. It's nuts how well my LS drives and how smooth it is now that it is 13 years old. It actually drives as good as any new car - certianly as good as when it was new.
Old 09-22-07, 04:41 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Wait Until The Buick Get Around 50,000 Miles Then Compare To Lexus No Match
Old 09-22-07, 06:16 PM
lennylexus
Driver School Candidate

i havent had ne problems with my car.
except the spark plugs and the water pump hose...
lol
231,000 milez and still flooring that baby!!!
Old 09-22-07, 08:55 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

You could put it something like this , Toyota parts supplies have to have a quality of only 50 failures per million parts supplied , Lexus parts suppliers are expected to be only 10 failures per Million parts supplied .
Toughest in the industry , also equate in that the LS is built in the finest most quality controled factory in the world , by a fair margin , also the LS assembly goes against current car line thinking in that they remove the car from the line for various assembly process'es , so they can do it slower , every body else does it all on the line .
More so than anybody cost is not the issue or deciding factor in most decisions , quality is the word .
Old 09-23-07, 12:35 PM
cartechpr
Driver

Cars are not dependable.. its just a marketing hype.

LExus vehicles.. specially the ls.. have disappointed me to no avail. Honestly they ride great.. but they are vehicles designed for 50k/4 years (warranty) and get RID OF THEM! they are CRAP.. working on them is a total nuisance and they fail on everything. Start giving problems that are so complex that would require you to replace many $thousands just to fix nuisances. They are "dependable" on the fact that even with issues the car will ride you home. but... they bother with so many things that the ls400 98 will be my last Japanese car i'll ever buy.

Things like vanity mirrors not working, things like ALL THE INTERIOR sounds. Computers leak capacitors. Coils failing, the REQUIREMENT to change a belt, water pump and seals. Valve covers leak badly... Engine vibrations. Engine hesitations that are not that explicit on TSBs. Lack of TSBs... I mean... When you have a problem with an american car, 80% of the time there is a TSB for the sympton that describes the problem and a solution to it... Toyota doesn't like to publish them.

Ever ridden in the new caddys? they are much better than our ls. BTW... i have owned 4 ls400... so ... i got the experience with them to back it up.
Old 09-23-07, 12:45 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cartechpr

Ever ridden in the new caddys? they are much better than our ls. BTW... i have owned 4 ls400... so ... i got the experience with them to back it up.
First of all, I disagree with the Caddy theory. But you must have bought yourself some pretty ****ty ls's because mine is the **** and treats me like a god everytime I drive it. Funny thing is that I literally feel like a god in this car when I'm driving and everone else should get the **** out of my way when I drive it. Poor people with ****ty cars, get the **** out of the way, the LS is coming through.
Old 09-23-07, 06:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cartechpr
Cars are not dependable.. its just a marketing hype.

LExus vehicles.. specially the ls.. have disappointed me to no avail. Honestly they ride great.. but they are vehicles designed for 50k/4 years (warranty) and get RID OF THEM! they are CRAP.. working on them is a total nuisance and they fail on everything. Start giving problems that are so complex that would require you to replace many $thousands just to fix nuisances. They are "dependable" on the fact that even with issues the car will ride you home. but... they bother with so many things that the ls400 98 will be my last Japanese car i'll ever buy.

Things like vanity mirrors not working, things like ALL THE INTERIOR sounds. Computers leak capacitors. Coils failing, the REQUIREMENT to change a belt, water pump and seals. Valve covers leak badly... Engine vibrations. Engine hesitations that are not that explicit on TSBs. Lack of TSBs... I mean... When you have a problem with an american car, 80% of the time there is a TSB for the sympton that describes the problem and a solution to it... Toyota doesn't like to publish them.

wow, i guess that Consumer Report, JD Power and Associates, and the BULK of LS400 owners must be completely wrong. we must have all been blind to the sheer lumps of CRAP our cars are........

honestly dude, you may have had a bad experience but you would be the ONLY one ive ever come across to prefer an american car over a japanese car given RELIABILITY being the main factor. its your money and your choice but dont expect many here to support you.

and do you honestly think that american cars will be so much better on keeping their **** together? most american cars ive been in/driven/owned by friends (primarily GM and ford) have EVERYTHING break EXCEPT the engines and drivetrain (everything else either falls off or breaks after 90k mi.)

Quick Reply: Why is Lexus such a dependable car?