LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

SC300/400 or LS400 (or something else) for a second car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 05:53 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300/400 or LS400 (or something else) for a second car?

I posted this over on the SC forum, I wonder if the responses will be different from the LS400 camp.

Howdy, I'm in the market for a second car and a Lexus is leading the pack right now. I've been reading up on the forum and have learned a lot.

About me and my needs in a car:
- I already have a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 that I'm keeping.
- I am 47 years old, 5'10" and about 240 pounds.
- I drive about 1000-1200 miles per month for work.
- I drive about 20K per year total.
- About once a month I do a 300+ mile trip for work.
- I very rarely have more than 2 people in the car.
- I am a long time fan of Toyota (and Honda) vehicles.
- I'm not afraid of a high mileage vehicle, if it's been well maintained. But I still don't want to buy anything with over approx 130K, as I will be racking up a lot of miles on this car.
- I have about $7500 to spend, and do not want to go over that as I don't want a car payment.

Questions:
- I'm trying to decide between an SC400 and an LS400.
- Will a man my size who is used to a pickup be able to get in and out of an SC400 without feeling like I'm rolling on the ground?
- I'm not a hot rodder and don't plan on making any performance mods to the car, how does an SC300 compare performance wise to an SC400. I don't mean drag strip times, but real world performance.
- As much as I would like an SC, I wonder if an LS400 would be a better choice?
- How does an Infiniti Q45 compare to an LS400?

Thanks
Old 09-08-07, 10:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Warhawk
I posted this over on the SC forum, I wonder if the responses will be different from the LS400 camp.

Howdy, I'm in the market for a second car and a Lexus is leading the pack right now. I've been reading up on the forum and have learned a lot.

About me and my needs in a car:
- I already have a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 that I'm keeping.
- I am 47 years old, 5'10" and about 240 pounds.
- I drive about 1000-1200 miles per month for work.
- I drive about 20K per year total.
- About once a month I do a 300+ mile trip for work.
- I very rarely have more than 2 people in the car.
- I am a long time fan of Toyota (and Honda) vehicles.
- I'm not afraid of a high mileage vehicle, if it's been well maintained. But I still don't want to buy anything with over approx 130K, as I will be racking up a lot of miles on this car.
- I have about $7500 to spend, and do not want to go over that as I don't want a car payment.

Questions:
- I'm trying to decide between an SC400 and an LS400.
- Will a man my size who is used to a pickup be able to get in and out of an SC400 without feeling like I'm rolling on the ground?
- I'm not a hot rodder and don't plan on making any performance mods to the car, how does an SC300 compare performance wise to an SC400. I don't mean drag strip times, but real world performance.
- As much as I would like an SC, I wonder if an LS400 would be a better choice?
- How does an Infiniti Q45 compare to an LS400?

Thanks
id go 95-97 LS400 OR a 97+ SC400.

coming from pickups id assume that your used to some modicum of low end torque that the SC300 isnt really known for, the LS and SC arent really comparable since they drive so differently but im an LS owner so il be biased and recco it

Q45s have reliability downfalls ESPECIALLY compared to the LS.

if u look soley at reliability the LS has topped the SC(didnt do bad at all though) and every other lex in every long term reliability poll over the last decade or so (ES' had their infamous sludge problems, same as RX3).
Old 09-09-07, 09:11 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS400 and SC400 do not drive that differently. I have owned both, and they are similar. The SC isn't as floaty, and has a little better pickup around town, but it's not a sports car by any means either. The 1996 SC400 received the same new engine that the 1995 LS400 received, so I would try for a 1996 or newer.
Old 09-09-07, 05:08 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

I spent this afternoon out looking at cars. It being Texas and Sunday the car lots were closed, but I was still able to look at several cars and even caught the owner working at one car lot.

We also saw a lot of clapped out lexus's too. I can't believe people would spend that kind of money on a car and trash it.

When I have the cash in hand I intend to concentrate on private sellers, where I should be able to get a better deal.

The two nicest cars I found were:

92 SC400 Gold with 184K For $6000 ... I would never believe that this car has that kind fo mileage, it was immacule. No door dings, leather seats were perfect, etc. A far cry from the other 3 SC's we saw today.

92 LS400 White with 133K for $4500 ... Obviously a very well maintained car. The hood was popped on this one so I was able to look at the engine compartment, it was clean but did not appear to have been detailed. Beautiful car.

Another beautiful car I saw today was a 93 Mercedes 300CE 2 door coupe, this car is immaculate and has 97K for $11,900. I know absolutely nothing about these cars, but this one was a beauty.

The V8 seems to be a very tight fit in both the SC400 and LS400 models. I do my own wrenching ... how difficult is it to do routine maintenance, oil filters, spark plugs, etc.? I didn't get to look at the straight six in a SC300, but I suspect that there would be a lot more room in the engine bay?

I saw an awful lot of ES300 and GS300 cars. The ES looks like it's based on the Camry, and from what I've seen the GS seems to share the drivetrain with the SC, is this correct? I may want to expand my search to include the GS models, but the ES didn't impress me too much.
Old 09-09-07, 05:12 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
id go 95-97 LS400 OR a 97+ SC400.

coming from pickups id assume that your used to some modicum of low end torque that the SC300 isnt really known for, the LS and SC arent really comparable since they drive so differently but im an LS owner so il be biased and recco it

Q45s have reliability downfalls ESPECIALLY compared to the LS.

if u look soley at reliability the LS has topped the SC(didnt do bad at all though) and every other lex in every long term reliability poll over the last decade or so (ES' had their infamous sludge problems, same as RX3).
If memory serves me, my Tacoma has 190hp and 220 tq, something close to that anyway. The double cabs (in 2001 anyway) have the same drivetrain, a 3.4 V6 with a 4spd auto transmission. I bought it in late 2002 with 23K on it, and it currently has 135K trouble free miles. It's also my fourth Toyota pickup.

*IF* I can find a clean '95 or newer LS400 that's what I'll likely get, but I intend to stick to my price range so that I don't have to take on a car payment. I'm really leaning toward the LS models, but that SC sure is a sharp looking car.
Old 09-09-07, 05:12 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

There is more room on the SC400 to work on the front of the motor. That said, if you remove the fan from the LS400, you get a decent amount of room as well. Routine maintenance is not difficult on either car, although everything is just a little bit easier on the SC400. The GS300 and SC300 do have the same drivetrain. That SC is priced too high, and for an LS, I would try to get a 1993 or newer, but if it's clean, it may be a good car.
Old 09-09-07, 06:50 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
There is more room on the SC400 to work on the front of the motor. That said, if you remove the fan from the LS400, you get a decent amount of room as well. Routine maintenance is not difficult on either car, although everything is just a little bit easier on the SC400. The GS300 and SC300 do have the same drivetrain. That SC is priced too high, and for an LS, I would try to get a 1993 or newer, but if it's clean, it may be a good car.
+1, more easy to do a timing belt change in a SC then a LS. it just depends on ur taste, u want a sporty looking car or do u want a luxury looking car.
Old 09-09-07, 07:28 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
+1, more easy to do a timing belt change in a SC then a LS. it just depends on ur taste, u want a sporty looking car or do u want a luxury looking car.
Since I don't want a black car, that severely limits my options as it seems like half the Lexus cars here in the DFW area are black.

So far my leading candidate is an LS400 the same color as yours, white over silver.
Old 09-09-07, 07:58 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are not planning on modding the car, or not looking for something sporty, get the LS400. I own a 99 LS400 right now but used to own a 93 SC400. There is absolutely no sport in the Lexus SC, so it would be very disappointing if you wanted something sporty. The LS is IMHO a much better car over all especially the interior. The interior, even in the 95+ LS seems to be a little ahead of its time. So even today it looks good and fits in. The SC interior too me seems very dated. Definitely can tell it is a 90s car.

I'm personally a coupe guy. Don't really care much for 4 door cars, but I much rather have my LS over my old SC any day. This is just my opinion though.
Old 09-09-07, 08:28 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Since I don't want a black car, that severely limits my options as it seems like half the Lexus cars here in the DFW area are black.

So far my leading candidate is an LS400 the same color as yours, white over silver.
Lexus didn't use a separate clearcoat on paint code 202 (black onyx) until 2001, so Lexus black paint from 1990-2000 does not wear very well when it comes to sun exposure, rain, etc. It tends to fade and shows scratches very, very easily. That alone should be a strong deterrent.
Old 09-09-07, 09:20 PM
Warhawk
Driver School Candidate

My Harley is black, but I'll never own another black car.

The texas heat alone is reason enough to pass on a black car. Of the colors I've seen on the LS400, I prefer the pearl white. But silver, gold, and blue aren't far behind.
Old 09-09-07, 09:34 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

My Harley is black, but I'll never own another black car.

The texas heat alone is reason enough to pass on a black car. Of the colors I've seen on the LS400, I prefer the pearl white. But silver, gold, and blue aren't far behind.
My favorite is gold, please pardon my bias.
Old 09-09-07, 11:14 PM
Zero_One
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing with buying the older 400's with higher miles is if the starter has never been replaced, you should at least be aware that it is a bit harder to get to. In Toyota's valiant effort to make things compact they put the starter under the intake manifold in the V8 "valley"...All data time is like 6 hours for a seasoned mechanic.... I am not trying to sway you, but if your looking at older 400's it is something you should be aware of. Good luck on the purchase! I loved my 91 LS400! My next will be a 2nd gen LS400!
Old 09-10-07, 05:23 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zero_One
The only thing with buying the older 400's with higher miles is if the starter has never been replaced, you should at least be aware that it is a bit harder to get to. In Toyota's valiant effort to make things compact they put the starter under the intake manifold in the V8 "valley"...All data time is like 6 hours for a seasoned mechanic.... I am not trying to sway you, but if your looking at older 400's it is something you should be aware of. Good luck on the purchase! I loved my 91 LS400! My next will be a 2nd gen LS400!
It's just as inaccessible on the LS430, SC400, and SC430.
Old 09-10-07, 11:28 AM
Zero_One
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
It's just as inaccessible on the LS430, SC400, and SC430.

correct... that is what I meant by saying "400" (v8). But the older and higher the mileage you have a greater chance of it going out...

Quick Reply: SC300/400 or LS400 (or something else) for a second car?