LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should I replace Shocks and Springs at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 03:13 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I replace Shocks and Springs at the same time?

I was driving over a speed bump the other day and felt a slight rumbling in my rear suspension, which leads me to believe I probably need to replace my shocks.

I've found Tokico shocks and also KYB shocks on eBay. Are those okay to buy for my 94 LS?

Also, since I'm taking it off already, should I replace the springs? The only springs I can find aftermarket are lowering springs, which I don't want. Any suggestions?

And, would it be a good idea for me to do both at the same time?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-07, 03:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if u want to lower the car, replace both shocks and springs

if you dont, just replace the shocks UNLESS the springs are physically broken or sagging (rare)

i recco KYB for an oem ride
Old 09-05-07, 03:25 PM
mac6694
Driver

might have to look into this myself, my driver's side is sagging something awful...hadn't realized how bad it was until I detailed the car this weekend and took a look from the rear.
Old 09-05-07, 04:50 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well when i decided to change my oem shocks, god were they awful, i had also discovered that one of my rear springs were broken! literally broken, one WHOLE coil gone, so i decided to go with H&R springs with KYB gas shocks/struts and so far i just need a wheel balance and sway bar bushings and my car will be suspension ready .
Old 09-05-07, 08:07 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if u want to lower the car, replace both shocks and springs

if you dont, just replace the shocks UNLESS the springs are physically broken or sagging (rare)

i recco KYB for an oem ride
Thanks for the advice. I definitely didn't notice a sag and I don't want to lower the car, so I guess I'll hold off for now.

The wifey is definitely wanting an OEM-type ride as opposed a stiffer ride with the Tokico. I'll probably pick those up off of eBay.

My only line of thinking was that, since the labor of removing the spring is already there, I might as well do it all at once.

How long do OEM springs typically last?

And, is $70 per shock for labor a fair deal?
Old 09-05-07, 08:26 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

yea that price is pretty good but u should just replace the fronts urself, its not that hard.
Old 09-05-07, 08:35 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yea that price is pretty good but u should just replace the fronts urself, its not that hard.
Replace it myself? You should see what I did to my storm door when I tried to add a weatherstrip!

Thanks for the pricing advice. I just remember before that I had a guy install TEIN HA's on my GS400 awhile back for about $150 (if I remember correctly).

Do I need to replace my strut/shock mounts? Or should the OEM ones still be okay?
Old 09-05-07, 08:42 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

lol...show me pics , and for the strut mounts.....i didnt use em but if u want to go ahead, since ur replacing ur whole susp already.
Old 09-05-07, 08:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

if you want an oem ride and dont do the work yourself ur best replacing all the strut mounts at the same time (carson will do ya cheap )

OEM springs NORMALLY tend to last the life of the car, they are made from steel with an EXTREMELY high carbon count making them both VERY hard and VERY durable.
Old 09-05-07, 08:56 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

lol PD did u see the pics of MY rear spring? dam thing broke lol so much for strong.
Old 09-05-07, 09:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lol PD did u see the pics of MY rear spring? dam thing broke lol so much for strong.
honestly, your the first and ONLY person ive ever heard of breaking an OEM spring.

on ANY car

u gotta start killing fewer fat people, i know they fil the trunk up real nice but damn, skinny people will do as good a job, shove a couple of them in there instead and ul feel more accomplished
Old 09-06-07, 08:02 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

lol...show me pics , and for the strut mounts.....i didnt use em but if u want to go ahead, since ur replacing ur whole susp already.
My storm door works, it just closes a little funny. But then again, I'm a stickler...

Anyway, what do strut mounts actually do? And how would I know if they need to be replaced? Even on eBay, the strut mounts run for about $45 each!
Old 09-06-07, 08:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

guess it fits the spring easier but PD jump in and answer. btw heres a pic of my spring. hmm [img] tags dont work for this pic lol.
http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic0007kf1.jpg
Old 09-06-07, 09:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

wow, ur spring is HEAVILY rusted

i love living in socal
Old 09-06-07, 10:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Lilcelsior-that looks pretty nasty. Usually with today's metallurgy and consistent heat treat, failures are not common. In cases where rust and likely some damage combines, this can occur.

When removing the springs, you can check to see if they both are maintaining similar unloaded height. If one is significantly different, replace them both. Sadly, one isn't prepared for this so you have downtime while you get springs. I dunno what the cost is so you'll have to determine that. If reasonable enough, just do the whole swap and be secure.

on the strut mount replacement. I've seen some compress up to 1/2" on my past cars.

Quick Reply: Should I replace Shocks and Springs at the same time?