LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Couple o' questions for a new 94 LS400 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 09:53 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple o' questions for a new 94 LS400 owner

Okay, so I've searched around for a little while, but didn't find any solid answers. Any input is appreciated!

1. I've got some heat coming from the driver's side either under the steering column or somewhere around there. I read on a post that it could be heat from the tranny? Is this true? If not, where's the heat coming from? Is there a remedy?

2. Everyone now and then, a little orange light that looks like the US Capital (I don't have a better description) comes on for about 5 seconds and then turns back off. The person I bought the car from said he was told from a mechanic that it had to do with two fans under the hood and the light comes on when one of them turns off. Is this true? Is there a remedy or should I not worry about that?

3. When I try to play CDs, I get an "Err", but no digits after that. It only says "Err". I tried flipping the CDs both ways and got the same thing both times. When I searched, most people had a code after it. I don't have anything except for letters. Anyone know the diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kevs; 08-30-07 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-29-07, 10:14 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont know anything about the heat. sorry.

its amazing what people will come up with instead of saying a honest i dont know. I remember when i first got my car the owner said that his mechanic told him it was a "battery terminal corrosion indicator"... hahaha

It's a low coolant light. I guess its supposed to be a picture of a radiator. Everybody is stumped at first... Check your coolant level. it might just be an erratic sensor. I chose to ignore rather than repair. but then again I'm under my hood at least once a week checking fluids.

congrats on your purchase

Pics?
Old 08-30-07, 04:47 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by omarg
i dont know anything about the heat. sorry.

its amazing what people will come up with instead of saying a honest i dont know. I remember when i first got my car the owner said that his mechanic told him it was a "battery terminal corrosion indicator"... hahaha

It's a low coolant light. I guess its supposed to be a picture of a radiator. Everybody is stumped at first... Check your coolant level. it might just be an erratic sensor. I chose to ignore rather than repair. but then again I'm under my hood at least once a week checking fluids.

congrats on your purchase

Pics?
Thanks for your help! Coolant levels definitely sound better than a fan that's not working!

Pics to come, but things are nuts at work...hopefully, I'll have some by next week.

About the heat, it's not INTENSE heat, but you can definitely feel some kind of heat in the driver's seat.
Old 08-30-07, 10:28 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. ERR on the stereo LCD typically meand the CD is upside down. Try flipping it in the magazine and it should play.
Old 08-30-07, 10:48 AM
mac6694
Driver

Originally Posted by kevs
3. When I try to play CDs, I get an "Err", but no digits after that. It only says "Err". I tried flipping the CDs both ways and got the same thing both times. When I searched, most people had a code after it. I don't have anything except for letters. Anyone know the diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!
A common problem in these is that the laser that reads the disc goes out of alignment, or teh lens gets dirty.(not as common but it still happens)

My 94 seems to have some slots that read better than others, which points to a slight misalignment that I ought to get fixed, but am too lazy to.
Old 08-30-07, 07:58 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by steveski
Congrats on your purchase. ERR on the stereo LCD typically meand the CD is upside down. Try flipping it in the magazine and it should play.
I actually flipped the CD on both sides and got the same message both times.

Originally Posted by mac6694
A common problem in these is that the laser that reads the disc goes out of alignment, or teh lens gets dirty.(not as common but it still happens)

My 94 seems to have some slots that read better than others, which points to a slight misalignment that I ought to get fixed, but am too lazy to.
How does one fix the alignment of the lens or laser?
Old 08-31-07, 07:48 AM
mac6694
Driver

So far as I know, it takes a shop to do it, you'd have to ask around; I'd start by asking a car audio or fancy electronics store if they know of anyone who does it; they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-31-07, 12:21 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy fix for that goddamn coolant light is to unplug it

just make sure you keep an eye on fluids and you should be fine. these cars dont eat coolant or anything so unless you spring a leak you should be gravy
Old 08-31-07, 12:29 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

and about the heat... i know this sounds stupid but i've had my car since 1994 and never paid attention to the "crotch vent" under the steering column until one day when i was wearing swimming shorts with the AC on and noticed a cool breeze.

its possible the flapper that opens/closes that valve from ac/heat might be stuck one way or the other and its just blowing lukewarm air...

i know on my car the drivers side vent on the dash near the door always blows air, i guess the flapper is broke/stuck because even when the ac is on floor or defrost that vent is still blowing.
Old 08-31-07, 01:33 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=kevs;2882087]I actually flipped the CD on both sides and got the same message both times.

I figured you probably did but had to throw it out - definitely something else then - don't know what though - sorry bro.
Old 08-31-07, 09:55 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Solution to the stock stereo...Carefully remove it from the car, all components, and proceed to hammer them as they suck. It's probably better to buy new stuff, all seriousness.
Old 09-01-07, 07:14 PM
mac6694
Driver

^lol...

Yeah...I'm doing my research for just that. I'm tired of a worn and weary sound system. Its a great one for its age...but...the AGE!!!
Old 09-01-07, 08:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonm
Solution to the stock stereo...Carefully remove it from the car, all components, and proceed to hammer them as they suck. It's probably better to buy new stuff, all seriousness.
ehh, IDK about a 1st gen, but i just got pulled over last night for having my STOCK stereo too loud
Old 09-02-07, 05:38 AM
illcelsior
Driver

Originally Posted by turbosix
easy fix for that goddamn coolant light is to unplug it

just make sure you keep an eye on fluids and you should be fine. these cars dont eat coolant or anything so unless you spring a leak you should be gravy
Or you could just replace the sensor and fill.

I would never remove such helpful sensors. You never know when you may develop a problem.
Old 09-02-07, 05:39 AM
illcelsior
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ehh, IDK about a 1st gen, but i just got pulled over last night for having my STOCK stereo too loud
geez! Freakin' **** Cali!

Quick Reply: Couple o' questions for a new 94 LS400 owner