LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Headlight compatibility - Oz and USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 03:18 PM
94lspete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight compatibility - Oz and USA

Guys - can someone let me know if the headlights are compatible between a US LS400 and the Oz version (1994 First Gen). I'm wondering if the electricals are going to be compatible ? I can source the lights for a fraction of the cost in the US compared to here in OZ.

cheers
pete
Old 08-27-07, 04:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lspete
Guys - can someone let me know if the headlights are compatible between a US LS400 and the Oz version (1994 First Gen). I'm wondering if the electricals are going to be compatible ? I can source the lights for a fraction of the cost in the US compared to here in OZ.

cheers
pete
dont do it, US market first gens had HORRIBLE beam patterns compared ot OZ/AU/and JDM cars.
Old 08-27-07, 05:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Besides having an awful beam pattern, headlights from a 1994 U.S. spec left hand drive car would blind on-coming drivers in NSW. If your LS400 has beam adjusters and the adjustment switch on the dashboard, I should tell you that U.S. spec LS400 headlights never had this feature. LS400s sold in the U.K. have this feature (and a sharp beam cutoff too) but buying from the U.K. would likely be even more expensive than if you bought locally.

Also, the inner light modules on generation one U.S. LS400's are foglights and not high beams like those sold in the U.K., Europe and some other markets. We did not get the bumper mounted foglights until 1998.
Old 08-27-07, 05:27 PM
94lspete
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys ... I should add that it isn't the front headlight it is the side light (does that make a difference ?) ..

another related question .. if just the lens(glass) is broken can i swap the glass from the US model .. ie: does it just unclip from the light unit ?

that's what I'm facing .. the quote from Oz is $360 .. I can buy the light from US for $45(US) ...

pete
Old 08-27-07, 05:40 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Get the stuff in from Japan , works out to be the same price wise as from the US as the freight is cheaper , I know JDM headlights can be had for around$20 to $50 Aus dollars .
If you don't have any contacts I could get some in for you .
Old 08-27-07, 06:05 PM
94lspete
Driver School Candidate

Rich - those contacts would be much appreciated.. I'm new to this game and don't have any at all yet.

... but just supposing I was silly enough to have already bought the side light from the US ... can the lens on my LS just clip off and be replaced by the lens from the US light... or have I done my dough ?

cheers
pete
Old 08-27-07, 09:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Rich - those contacts would be much appreciated.. I'm new to this game and don't have any at all yet.

... but just supposing I was silly enough to have already bought the side light from the US ... can the lens on my LS just clip off and be replaced by the lens from the US light... or have I done my dough ?

cheers
pete
im pretty sure the frenching in the glass is a different pattern than yours.
Old 08-28-07, 04:54 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

On U.S. gen 1 models, the lens is glued to the headlight housing. Maybe the clips are there to hold the lens to the housing during the manufacturing process or maybe U.S. regs require the unit to be sealed with adhesive.

I remember that on 1980's Mercedes European headlights one could easily pop the clips off and replace the lens -- I did that once -- and there was a rubber gasket between the lens and the housing. But U.S. Lexus LS headlights are different. Some people have removed the lens by carefully heating the headlight assembly in an oven -- you can find the instructions in a previous thread on this forum.

The clips used on U.S. gen 1 headlights to hold the lens don't seem strong enough to hold the lens to the housing without glue. In fact, when I once removed the clips on a gen 1 headlight, either the clip or the plastic housing broke so I could not reinstall the clip. That's when I gave up on removing the lens and found another way to clean the inside of the headlight unit.
Old 08-28-07, 10:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Kansas
In fact, when I once removed the clips on a gen 1 headlight, either the clip or the plastic housing broke so I could not reinstall the clip. That's when I gave up on removing the lens and found another way to clean the inside of the headlight unit.
did it involve a certain type of ethyl alcohol?
Old 08-28-07, 05:05 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
did it involve a certain type of ethyl alcohol?
After an 80/100W bulb on my first LS exploded on an early 90's hot summer evening while in "parking lot mode" on I-435 in southern Kansas City, there was lots of debri coating both the reflector and the inside of the lens.

I did try using (a lot of) ethyl alcohol to clean out the insides -- put it in the bulb opening and swished it around -- but most of the debri stayed put.

Based on my experience with Mercedes Euro headlights, I expected to pop off the clips and easily remove the lens so I could clean both it and the reflector.

When I found the lens firmly glued to the housing, I took the headlight housing to a car wash and blasted away with the pressure washer shooting water at full force through the bulb hole. I even used the soft water cycle towards the end so I wouldn't end up with water spots on the inside of the housing.

I let the headlight housing dry out for about a week, reinstalled it and it was as good as new -- still had a horrible light pattern and pathetic output. I never used 80/100 bulbs again.
Old 08-29-07, 07:21 PM
94lspete
Driver School Candidate

cheers
pete
Rich - I've added a photo showing the part of the light assembly I need .. ( btw ...that's not my car).

cheers
pete
Attached Thumbnails Headlight compatibility - Oz and USA-90.lexus.ls400.500.jpg  
Old 08-29-07, 10:20 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they should be the same. i can't imagine why they would be different.
Old 08-29-07, 11:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Rich - I've added a photo showing the part of the light assembly I need .. ( btw ...that's not my car).

cheers
pete
for $%&^'s sake man, thats NOT the headlight

thats the parking light, it has a single 194 bulb in it and doesnt really have ANY significant light output.

u can replace the whole damned corner assembly for like $30 US
Old 08-30-07, 04:47 AM
94lspete
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
for $%&^'s sake man, thats NOT the headlight

thats the parking light, it has a single 194 bulb in it and doesnt really have ANY significant light output.

u can replace the whole damned corner assembly for like $30 US
cool ... now that we've established that I don't know what I'm talking about and that it's the parking light that I need to replace.. if i have already bought the part from the US (which I have) .. is it going to be ok to use it on my ls here in Oz ..
Old 08-30-07, 01:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

cool ... now that we've established that I don't know what I'm talking about and that it's the parking light that I need to replace.. if i have already bought the part from the US (which I have) .. is it going to be ok to use it on my ls here in Oz ..
yes, itl be fine.

Quick Reply: Headlight compatibility - Oz and USA