LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Hidden Features

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 03:13 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

this has probably been covered but i thought it was cool. it started raining here in socal (gasp, i know) and i proceeded to use my wipers. upon the use of the windshield washer, i noticed the wipers will sweep twice automatically (normal i know), BUT then after a few more seconds will sweep a third time automatically for the excess! brilliant!
Old 02-07-14, 05:10 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very useful thread!!
Old 02-07-14, 09:44 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crybicki
A cool trick that took me several months to notice, is that there is a third sun visor directly above the rear view mirror.

Another thing that took me a while to figure out was there is a light on the instrument panel that comes on, its a circle with 3 dots on each side, this is a brake pad light telling you when your brake pads are going bad.
I also have a '93 and love the little visor, I show everyone, lol.
The low brake pad light was super annoying when I got mine, had no idea what it was for, pulled my wheels and saw two wires for each position that were hanging, connected them together and got the light out, I was pretty excited!

I also love the individual lights for each door in the back, and the separate reading lights for each as well. My int. lights don't all work right yet, on the list, lol.
Old 02-08-14, 01:01 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Largefarva - I'm sure that you know this, but for a new person reading the thread, I would like to add that shorting the wires will disable the warning function. You will not be warned when the pads are worn.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gene01:
joetee (11-09-22), SHOtyme (05-29-20)
Old 12-02-14, 10:53 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Adding my .02...

2.5 '98 LS400:

When my wiper switch is set to its lowest "non-intermittent" setting, the wipers will automatically go to a medium intermittent mode when the car stops. Whenever you put your foot on the accelerator again, it goes back to low, non-intermittent.

When your battery is weak, your car acts "sickly". Mushy shifts, slower starting, and the VSC error message appears in the cluster.
Old 01-13-16, 11:40 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice this is not listed in the whole thread, but on a 99 ls400, if you look the trunk lock under the steering wheels and push in the ****, you cannot open trunk with the trunk release, only way to open is to insert your keys in the lock. Very cool feature if you don't want anyone access your valuable.
Old 01-13-16, 12:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthesia
I notice this is not listed in the whole thread, but on a 99 ls400, if you look the trunk lock under the steering wheels and push in the ****, you cannot open trunk with the trunk release, only way to open is to insert your keys in the lock. Very cool feature if you don't want anyone access your valuable.
it's a valuable, albeit not "hidden" feature.

Most lexus models have had trunk lockouts, and it's both in the manual and on the sticker (push to lock/turn to unlock) for the trunk release.
Old 05-18-16, 05:47 PM
Archrisan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a 1999 LS400 last week. The remote key fob is missing but I tried the window role down with the key inserted into the door lock turned to unlock that was mentioned early on in this thread. It roles the windows down and opens the sunroof. When I turn the key to lock on the door it rolls up the windows as well as closing the sunroof. You have to wait a second or two with the key in the unlock or lock position for the window function to work.
Old 05-19-16, 08:34 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Largefarva
I also love the individual lights for each door in the back, and the separate reading lights for each as well. My int. lights don't all work right yet, on the list, lol.
The only thing Lexus really missed (electrically) was some kind of auto-shutoff for interior lights. Sometimes my kids use the reading lights and forget to turn them off. Also, sometimes people don't shut the doors hard enough and the interior stays lit. Dead battery time since I only drive it a couple days per week. I now have a strong habit of walking completely around the car before I leave it anywhere.

Last edited by djamps; 05-19-16 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
majorQTR (10-04-20)
Old 01-31-17, 04:45 PM
swalk123
Driver School Candidate

Default 1998 ls 400

I finally bought my first Lexus. My dad owns a 93 LS 400 and a LS 460. I am enjoying reading all the terrific data available to members.
I bought a 1998 LS 400 with 120K Single owner, always garaged, no pets car. It is immaculate and drives like a dream. It s got the Pioneer Stereo - Radio does not sound that great to me, CD's sure do tho.
Old 04-26-17, 06:26 AM
RugPilot
Driver School Candidate

Smile Cool Hidden Feature: Gas Tank

I know of a cool hidden feature: I own a1994 LS400. My gas tank door was inadvertently locked and I couldn't get it to pop open. I was able to find a little red lever from the inside of the rear trunk, just behind the gas tank door, with a string which when pulled, it popped the gas tank open.

I'm actually interested in selling this beauty... if anyone is interested! I live in Olympia, WA.
Attached Thumbnails LS400 Hidden Features-01.jpg   LS400 Hidden Features-02.jpg   LS400 Hidden Features-04.jpg  
Old 08-10-17, 11:32 AM
GoldLex99
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently found this on my 99 LS400. The lights stay on for a period of time after you turn off the car if it's dark outside, but did you know they'll stay on as long as the trunk is open? I had a trunkful of groceries and when I got home I parked and the lights staid on as normal. I popped the trunk and began carrying in the groceries. I expected the lights to go out after their normal interval but they didn't. It's a thoughtful feature. Once the trunk is closed the normal delay period begins and the lights turn themselves off.

John
BNastee (02-10-22)
Old 08-10-17, 12:14 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldLex99
I recently found this on my 99 LS400. The lights stay on for a period of time after you turn off the car if it's dark outside, but did you know they'll stay on as long as the trunk is open? I had a trunkful of groceries and when I got home I parked and the lights staid on as normal. I popped the trunk and began carrying in the groceries. I expected the lights to go out after their normal interval but they didn't. It's a thoughtful feature. Once the trunk is closed the normal delay period begins and the lights turn themselves off.

John
It's a horrible feature, at least the way they implimented it. If anything is open -- door, trunk, hood,(in otherwords not completely latched) the headlights stay on indefinately until the battery is flat. Add kids to the mix and you've got N times more chances of this happening. I've owned cars without auto headlights that still have a failsafe shutdown of headlights and interior lights after 15-30 minutes. Huge oversight for lexus.
Old 09-19-17, 07:30 AM
chewwyy
Driver School Candidate

Alot of great features in here, thanks for the tips. I have a few more pages of reading to do
Old 03-20-18, 10:57 AM
GoldLex99
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a hidden feature, but I think it's very useful that all of the buttons and controls are large and widely spaced. They can all be easily operated while wearing gloves which is wonderful on a cold winter morning.

I have a 1999 LS400 and there is a small flip out pocket for coins just above the trunk and gas flap switches. It looks like a bit of blank plastic but opens if you push it in.

There's a cigarette lighter socket in the storage bin between the front seats. I've got a USB converter in there with wires for my wife's phone and mine.

There is a small flap on the back of the sun-visor that is the perfect place for my parking pass.

There is a blank storage space next to the CD changer where you can store an extra cartridge of CD's.

John
joetee (11-09-22)

Quick Reply: LS400 Hidden Features