LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Going to buy a 94 LS400, any last minute advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 08:46 PM
ChrisDepew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to buy a 94 LS400, any last minute advice?

Just like it said. I would like to know if there is any last minute advice on what to look for. It is at a dealer in Roswell, GA and I am driving 3.5 hrs to look at it. The Carfax is clean. Two owner 151000 on the clock and it is supose to run like a champ. The only thing that they said is wrong with it is the trim piece around the shifter is missing which is funny but I guess I can find another one. Please if you have anything let me know. I hope this board can become home for me for a while. Thanks guys and gals.
Old 08-25-07, 08:57 PM
defkon
Driver School Candidate

check everything, which you probabaly already know. under the hood, under the car, the wheels, see if the seats work. Mine was in mint conidition but i looked at 7 other before buying mine. the other 7 were said to be in fantastic condition but you are bound to find something wrong in a 10+ year old car
Old 08-27-07, 12:07 AM
Klierslc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Climate control readout will likely be marginal at best--use that to bump the price down. Check for blue smoke right at startup--valve guides, push all the buttons and verify they work. If you have a jack, check the U joint and CV shafts for play.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 08-27-07, 01:49 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for power steering fluid leaking anywhere.
Old 08-27-07, 01:55 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure the instrument cluster lights and needles work. Check for odd steering like lag when you turn, or steering wheel doesn't return to zeroed out position. That could be a sign of worn steering rack bushings and/or worn lower control arm bushings. Clunking when you put the transmission into gear might be worn transmission bushing.
Old 08-27-07, 02:02 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Clunking when you put the transmission into gear might be worn transmission bushing.
I have this problem and my shifter is kind of loose; any idea of how to fix this? Where is the transmission bushing located? Do you have diagram? Aloha.
Old 08-27-07, 02:27 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexie
I have this problem and my shifter is kind of loose; any idea of how to fix this? Where is the transmission bushing located? Do you have diagram? Aloha.
I think typically it is the rear transmission mount. Sorry I don't have any diagram. Never replaced one myself since I have kind of low miles
Old 08-27-07, 06:48 AM
samerooo
Rookie

Dealer car? Says it runs like a champ?

I wouldn't even waste my time with a dealer. 90% are liars that will say anything to bring you to look at the car. This is from tons of experience. When you get there, you will find tons of problems.
Old 08-27-07, 06:21 PM
Prix
Driver School Candidate

Based on experience, I would not buy from a dealer either (unless you know them and have a solid working relationship with them going back years). I once asked to test drive a Mercedes coupe, v. flashy convertible, and the dealer just raved about the car. On my way back to their shop, I stopped in to let my (reliable) mechanic (who specialized in imports) have a look see, and he spent about 5 seconds on it before telling me to drive it straight back to the dealer and tell them that they were not going to suceed in pulling a fast one on me. The underside was rusted out (patched of course), it had been in a serious collision, etc. The car was a joke, basically, but it looked good. They had gone to a lot of trouble with an expensive paint job, etc. I (literally) threw the keys on their counter when I returned the car. Then I said something that I cannot repeat here and stomped out. I am sure someone else bought the car. They just play a waiting game until someone comes along who doesn't know any better. That's the sad truth.
Old 08-27-07, 06:26 PM
Prix
Driver School Candidate

Also, since I HAVE a '94 LS400, I can tell you that right about now is when things are starting to 'go'. In the past year, I have replaced the power steering system and the timing belt, both v. expensive repairs. The year before that, I had to replace air suspension in the front..also v. expensive (but got a deal on the air shocks through Arnott). The track light has been coming on lately. I have been told that that, potentially, could run a few grand if it is the ABS computer. Or, it could be a few hundred. I am afraid to have them run the codes on it!! Unless you are DIY, I would not advise buying a 13 year old car.
Old 08-27-07, 06:35 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

trac light could be caused by the o2 sensors or the TPS sensors too. some searching and it'll set u off.
Old 08-27-07, 08:21 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prix
Also, since I HAVE a '94 LS400, I can tell you that right about now is when things are starting to 'go'. In the past year, I have replaced the power steering system and the timing belt, both v. expensive repairs. The year before that, I had to replace air suspension in the front..also v. expensive (but got a deal on the air shocks through Arnott). The track light has been coming on lately. I have been told that that, potentially, could run a few grand if it is the ABS computer. Or, it could be a few hundred. I am afraid to have them run the codes on it!! Unless you are DIY, I would not advise buying a 13 year old car.
If U have done your home work, you should not have bought a LS with air suspension (BTW, you still have the rear air shocks to worry about ). And no matter what car, you have to replace the timing belt anyway; One good thing about the LS engine : the engine is non interference (correct me if I'm wrong); so even the timing belt broke, the engine still O.K. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-27-07, 09:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like someone didnt thoroughly research before they bought their car
Old 08-27-07, 09:46 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Han Solo says "Do Your Own Mods and Repairs".
Old 08-31-07, 04:11 AM
ChrisDepew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samerooo
Dealer car? Says it runs like a champ?

I wouldn't even waste my time with a dealer. 90% are liars that will say anything to bring you to look at the car. This is from tons of experience. When you get there, you will find tons of problems.

Well lets just say that, I should have went with my instincts. Yeah, I have not had much luck with dealers in the past. But, I thought I found a good one. I had all the paperwork on this LS and I had done my homework (on here of course). So, sort of to my surprise, when I got there I spent literally 1 minute with the car, didn't need to start it. It was hit on the drivers side and been sprayed all over. He lied to me on several occasions. I had multiple pics of the car. It is hard to tell in pictures if it has been painted. So, I will never buy from a dealer ever again. Also, I will never buy a car in Atlanta, GA again. I spent Sunday the whole day over there looking at 5 different LS's all of them hit. So I am just going to buy a Maxima my other car love until I can afford a 97 or newer LS. I figure that it will be a year or so. But I will keep doing my research. If anyone knows of a good 93 or 94 LS I will take a look but I will be buying a maxima until I find a good one. I appreciate all the help. I pay cash for all my cars so that is why I can't just borrow the extra 2-3 grand for a newer one. I will have one just not right now.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a 94 LS400, any last minute advice?