LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone ever think their lex is too old?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 07:21 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever think their lex is too old?

is it just me or does everyone think that pre 01 ls' look too old? Its been bothering me to the point that im trying to sell the car but i love it the reliability is awesome the way it drives everything.. but i just cant stand it. It might be bc im from south fl and all the people i hang out with have new 330s and 5series. anyone feel the same way?

-Aaron
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever think their lex is too old?-ebay-aaron-ls-151.jpg  
Old 08-22-07, 07:41 PM
michael200
Driver

Aaron - Your car looks great in the picture. We just sold our '90 LS400 which I still feel is one of the very best cars ever made at any price. The older the LS, the better, as far as workmanship, engineering, quality of materials, etc. I recently bought a GS4, and the quality between it and the old LS400 is evident. The old LS was much better built in alot of ways. Keep your car, and be proud of it!
Old 08-22-07, 07:47 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to lower your car about 3 inches then make this statement
Old 08-22-07, 07:48 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i dont think its old, i think of it as a "wide body" lexus and proud to own it. LS400's are also extremely reliable so one day, one of ur buddys is gonna call you asking to pick em up because their bimmer broke down somewhere.
Old 08-22-07, 07:58 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michael200
Aaron - Your car looks great in the picture. We just sold our '90 LS400 which I still feel is one of the very best cars ever made at any price. The older the LS, the better, as far as workmanship, engineering, quality of materials, etc. I recently bought a GS4, and the quality between it and the old LS400 is evident. The old LS was much better built in alot of ways. Keep your car, and be proud of it!
I totally agreed. The older LS styling is classic. Nowadays cars changed so far, how could you keep up with the change?

I plan to keep my LS for another 10 years. Remember the first gen. LS was the first Luxury car Toyota built in order to compete with Mercedes, BMW etc. So everything was top notch because They didn't want to fail back in 1989??
Old 08-22-07, 08:19 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car looks clean, crisp, and quite fresh.

However, since you're in SoFL, I can understand why you may think it look dated--the car scene down there is just crazy and like nothing else I have ever seen--makes SoCal look like a conservative accountant's convention.
(No offense to any accountants among us)
Old 08-22-07, 08:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nah...but YMMV.
I like the flat roofline and straight windows lines. When you compare it to the new gen LS, it's world different. Even so, my preference is that after some age, the cars become more stylish.
Old 08-22-07, 09:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

take a look at the jag, that looked like an old car when it came out, but its so sleek and stylish, lexus looked great when it came out and even if it looks old now, its still as sleek and stylish as the ay it came out, just like the jag. god i luv that car
Old 08-22-07, 11:32 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand man...all my friends have newer cars than me and when they are parked together, it's just makes mine look old. I love the car regaurdless of how old other cars make it look.

This reminds me of a story. Me and a dude I know went to the gas station together and filled up on gas. There was a brunette who pulled up in her BMW 3-series and got out. She looked at us once as she walked in and stopped by her car when she came out. She said

"Hey...one of my close friends has a white Lexus just like yours...and I just had to tell you that your car looks so good."

I was amazed that it attracted a girl my age because it's just a classy car...so I thanked her, and she left. The funny thing was...she didnt say a thing to my buddy in the G35 coupe...it was hilarious.

Two hours later. I was packing up for Gatlinburg, TN and he comes into my room at my house. First I was wondering how the hell he got into the house, because I mean...don't people knock? So he barged into the house and sat in my room for 10 minutes not even talking. So I asked him why in the hell he just came into my house and his exact words were THIS...

"I read on your myspace that you hate Infiniti G35s...I want you to delete that **** off of youre profile, AND admit that my car is better than yours, since it is-"

Me:
"Hold the f*** up dude...you barged into my house to tell me how to man my own site and put down my car in place of yours? The hell I am, now you can show your way to the door, since you know where it is."

"No, im not leaving until you admit to me that my cars better!" Then he jumps into my pc chair and tries to tamper with the computer. I unplug the computer and scream:

"DUDE! GET THE F*** OUT OF MY HOUSE BEFORE I THROW YOU OUT THE WINDOW!!"

Then he begins to wrestle with me and I picked him up, put him on my back and carried him down the stares and threw him out of the door and onto the porch stairs and slammed the door.

5 Minutes later, his psycho mom shows up in my driveway.

She bangs on the door consistently for about 5 minutes and I go down and answer it. She starts yelling at me for throwing him off the porch and that I'm jealous of his infiniti because I don't have the same kind of fortune as him. Well I kindly explained to this loopy *** woman, that he forced his way in my home, raised his voice, and yelled at me in my own home so I threw his *** out...its my house and I can throw him out if I want to. I also explained to her that I may not have as expensive as a car as him but it shows what kind of kid this guy is when his mom has a hyundai, a 1400sq foot home and he has a brand new G35. I told her that he is 18 years old and has to have mommy come down and yell at "The punk-*** kid" down the street who threw this kid out of the house.

I don't know about any of you guys, but I paid for my Lexus, and I am proud to say that it makes me feel more independent. I don't rely on my parents for everything anymore.

Hahaha, sorry...irrelevent, but I thought I'd share the whole story...hope you guys get a kick out of it.

Last edited by TJW98LS; 08-22-07 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 11:40 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
This reminds me of a story. Me and a dude I know went to the gas station together and filled up on gas. There was a brunette who pulled up in her BMW 3-series and got out. She looked at us once as she walked in and stopped by her car when she came out. She said

"Hey...one of my close friends has a white Lexus just like yours...and I just had to tell you that your car looks so good."
Dude, what did you say? You left us hangin, then on to the fracas with your G35 friend. G35 coupes are pretty sweet though dude, I had an 03.
Old 08-22-07, 11:43 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
Dude, what did you say? You left us hangin, then on to the fracas with your G35 friend. G35 coupes are pretty sweet though dude, I had an 03.
Well apparently the kid got pissed that he didnt get complimented. thats where the rest of the story come in.

The girl got out of her car and looked at me as I filled up...she turned around and went to the door. She bought something inside and came outside. She looked at me again and said that.

Well the kid makes me hate the car 100 times worse.
Old 08-22-07, 11:58 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

haaaaaaaaaaaa thats too funny, i dont have a problem getting girls or anything but its just as u said before, when all of your friends cars are in a parking lot or whatever it just feels old> but i still love the carr. so confused
Old 08-23-07, 12:20 AM
lexodude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmd93
take a look at the jag, that looked like an old car when it came out, but its so sleek and stylish, lexus looked great when it came out and even if it looks old now, its still as sleek and stylish as the ay it came out, just like the jag. god i luv that car

i duno why but my dadd loves jags although theyre so unreliable. He made my brother get a 2001 xk8 which was a gorgeous car but was in the shop every 2 weeks literally. he has a 96 xjs and loves it which i dont understand, and the 99 xj8 vanden plas which he has for sale now.
Old 08-23-07, 12:31 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avalon42
G35 coupes are pretty sweet though dude, I had an 03.
It is now year 2016:

Infiniti just introduce their new G35; Do you think by then the 03 G35 still sweet?? by then, the first gen LS400 will be classic!

Back in 1990, All three major Japanese auto makers tried to crack the luxury car market: Lexus with the LS400, Infiniti with the Q45, Acura (me too !) with the front wheel drive Legend (1988).

Now the picture is very clear: LS400 proven to be a very reliable car, but the Q45 and Legend are all falling apart. You hardly see any of them! Would you buy a 1990 Q45 or Legend? ?

Lexus OVERBUILT the first gen. LS400!!
Old 08-23-07, 12:48 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexie
It is now year 2016:

Infiniti just introduce their new G35; Do you think by then the 03 G35 still sweet?? by then, the first gen LS400 will be classic!

Back in 1990, All three major Japanese auto makers tried to crack the luxury car market: Lexus with the LS400, Infiniti with the Q45, Acura (me too !) with the front wheel drive Legend (1988).

Now the picture is very clear: LS400 proven to be a very reliable car, but the Q45 and Legend are all falling apart. You hardly see any of them! Would you buy a 1990 Q45 or Legend? ?

Lexus OVERBUILT the first gen. LS400!!
The Legend is hardly falling apart. I was a proud owner of 3 Acura Legend Coupes. They are by far some of the best cars I've ever owned. I rank my 99 LS400 better over all than my Legend, but I rank my Legend higher on my list of cars I enjoyed more. I've taken apart Legends and they too are over built just like the Lexus. The LS400 is still a much different car, but IMHO I picked the Legend back then over the same year LS and SC400 because it was a better car for me. The 98+ LS for my style is the oldest LS400 I'd personally buy. Either way, I still ended up with an SC400 and LS400 eventually, but as the owner of all of them I feel the Legend ranks right up there. Todays Acurs are a different story though.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever think their lex is too old?