LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A couple of queries about G2 lighting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 11:55 PM
Staticam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of queries about G2 lighting.

Should the stereo buttons be illuminated? I've only ever seen the lcd lit on mine.

And, what's your rear light configuration for stop and tail lights?
On mine, both upper and lower fender lights are dual filament, but in each case only one is wired. On the trunk, the light next to back-up light is single filament, also not wired. It's ex. Singapore and has no side markers. On the left it's like this [ fender ] { trunk }:
[ tail ] { reflector }
[ turn ] { n/c | back-up }
[ stop ] { reflector }

I'm going to alter the wiring because I'd like more than one light per side. What's your setup?
Old 08-19-07, 07:32 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as the stereo, yes, it should be illuminated, not just the LCD. The various functions directly above the buttons normally light up as well. This can be a really expensive repair, especially on a stock radio, and is normaly not worth the money. Suggestion, get an aftermarket radio and kit to fit the space, you will be much hapier, especially if you plan to do any stereo upgrades. Other than that, if you want stock, check the classified section here or even ebay fro someone selling a stock radio for direct replacement.

As far as the tail lights go, every section is lit as well. The fender lights above and below the turn signal should have dual filament bulbs as they as your night time lights as well as your stop lights. Same thing for the trunk section; dual filaments for the same reason. I have a G1 myself, but the lighting setup is pretty much the same for the LS series. This is the only pic I could find, for right now of my car with lights on from the rear. Mine is the one to the far right of the pic, but you can get a general idea....
Old 08-19-07, 10:49 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The function of bulbs in the rear light clusters are different depending on the country in which the car was originally sold.

For example, some countries allow a bulb in the rear light cluster to fulfill only a single function -- e.g. a bulb can not function as both a tail light and a brake light.

The Europe/UK LS400 owner manuals for the early 1990s LS400 describe some of the country differences.

I remember that in some European countries, only the upper bulb (red lens) in each LS400 rear cluster functions as a tail light although the bulb has two filiments that allows it to also function as a brake light. The lower single filiment bulb (red lens) functions only as a brake light.

Personally I think this is a safer configuration, particularly in bright sunlight, since it makes it more obvious when the driver is braking since there is more differentiation in light output.

Also, I think the single tail light on each side looks better and is less distracting at night to following drivers. The rear end of LS400s sold in North America look like a Christmas tree at night -- way too much light output.

Depending on country, a fog light bulb socket was also included in the LS400 rear light cluster -- sometimes on both sides although legal requirements usually specified that a bulb could be used only in the drivers side fog light socket. That could be the "n/c" you mentioned.

Last edited by Kansas; 08-19-07 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-20-07, 04:30 AM
Staticam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than being expensive do you know what fault or the fix is for the radio switch lighting? The heating switches are lit.

I took a closer look into the rear wiring. There is no fog light wiring (pity, fronts of course). The fender light unit upper fitting has one wire going nowhere taped down but nothing further in the loom). The trunk unit (n/c = not connected) is wired but not pin matched in the plug connector to the wire that comes from the light control unit, which in turn is not connected to anything on the control board. The control unit has written on it 2x21W, 2x18W, 2x5W (correct for the way it is).

Will it be ok to add more watts (trailer wiring already is) or should I jump the wiring from before the control unit.?
I prefer more than one lamp per side, a safety thing, but agree differentiation is great, and all is OTT. So I'm going compromise, I'll try to configure both upper and lower fenders as tails and the lower and one on the trunk unit as stops.