LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 10:02 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LS shuts off

Yeah, this week (every morning) the car has been shutting off. Today for instance, I put the car on Reverse out of the drive way and like 2 seconds in to it, it shut off on me. Turned it on, drove it for 10 seconds up to the stop sign, turned right up the hill and as I stepped on the gas, the car hesitated until it shut off in the middle of the road. I proceeded to put the car in neutral (had cars behind me) and after 15 agonizing seconds, the car started. I read somewhere on here that this could be many things (TPS, MAF, Etc...).

Can someone (puredrifter perhaps?) point me to what I should look at first. I don't think my intake is sticking as I cleaned it a few months ago.

Thanks for looking!!!
Old 08-17-07, 12:57 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember somebody has this same problem mentioned somewhere. Could it be the left trunk hinge wiring exposed ?
Old 08-17-07, 02:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

nope, that would be an electrical fault in the Body Electrical system, not the Engine harness at all.

lemme think it over and pore over some wiring pages i have and il post up toms afternoon/night
Old 08-17-07, 06:25 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Any check engine light?
Old 08-17-07, 08:59 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

no check engine light...i did notice the "trac" light come on for a bout 20 minutes.
Old 08-17-07, 12:09 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i think from previous threads, the trac light on is the o2 sensors or the tps sensor.
Old 08-17-07, 04:32 PM
lwfalcon
Driver School Candidate

Default 93 LS shuts off

My 93 Lexus was doing the same thing. Turned out to be a bad EFI fuse (not blown) that would momentarily lose contact, car would shutdwn, then the fuse would cool down and car would crank up. Then it would repeat the process. Replaced the fuse and problem was solved. Replace the fuse regardless if it appears good with your meter.
Old 08-18-07, 02:56 PM
lennylexus
Driver School Candidate

try disconnecting the battery for about ten minutes....(only disconnect the negative side)
then put it back on see if it works then....
if it dosnt make sure u have gas in ur car lol....
and try cleaning out the filter because if your filter is filthy that could be it!
Old 08-18-07, 04:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lennylexus
try disconnecting the battery for about ten minutes....(only disconnect the negative side)
then put it back on see if it works then....
if it dosnt make sure u have gas in ur car lol....
and try cleaning out the filter because if your filter is filthy that could be it!
resetting ECU wont do anything, the fact its shutting down "dirty" ie-hesitating, sputtering, then dying instead of "cleanly" (ie-just dies and revs go down to 0 w/o any drama, like u turned it off) indicate to me that something is broken/fried thats stopping one of the 3 necessary components of combustion (spark air and fuel) to not go in the motor properly. doesnt seem like the ECU is shutting the motor down....
Old 08-20-07, 05:06 AM
pRaHjeC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my car does the same thing and ive been killing myself trying to figure this out. it only happens to me after i drive for a good long while (2+ hours). annant, if you can figure it out i'll give you 5 bucks haha!
Old 09-15-07, 04:58 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Alright, I've been gone for quite some time...almost a month to be exact (business trip) Anyhow, my wife also flew out of town and left the LS parked. When she came back the car didn't start. She said that prior to getting to the airport the car shut off on her a few times. She put gas in it thinking it was that, but it is not! I got back the same day she did (two days ago). and tried starting the car but it still wouldn't start. It cranks very well, but it just doesn't want to start. I am about to check plugs and wires just to make sure nothing is loose, but before I start buying stuff I wanted to know you guys opinion on the matter.

Any input will be great! Thanks!

AJ
Old 09-15-07, 08:36 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
Alright, I've been gone for quite some time...almost a month to be exact (business trip) Anyhow, my wife also flew out of town and left the LS parked. When she came back the car didn't start. She said that prior to getting to the airport the car shut off on her a few times. She put gas in it thinking it was that, but it is not! I got back the same day she did (two days ago). and tried starting the car but it still wouldn't start. It cranks very well, but it just doesn't want to start. I am about to check plugs and wires just to make sure nothing is loose, but before I start buying stuff I wanted to know you guys opinion on the matter.

Any input will be great! Thanks!

AJ
Check for spark and fuel, and report back.
Old 09-15-07, 08:43 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I checked the spark earlier today and its good to go. I haven't checked for fuel though. Could it be o2 sensor?
Old 09-15-07, 08:48 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
I checked the spark earlier today and its good to go. I haven't checked for fuel though. Could it be o2 sensor?
Check for fuel please. And no, faulty O2 sensors cannot cause a problem like you describe.
Old 09-16-07, 02:10 PM
007LS400
Driver School Candidate

My 1992 Acura Legend did the same thing and it turned out to be the main relay. I don't know if the LS400 has such a thing, but I thought I would let you know. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 93 LS shuts off