LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should I sell my 98 LS for $18k

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 06:55 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my 98 LS for $18k

Hey all

Well my business partner has borrowed my car a couple of time lately and is in love with it. Today he seriously offered to buy my car for $18k. Yeah at first it sounds like a deal to me. At the same time I have taken it to JM Lexus service every 5k miles and now has 97k, but its perfectly maintained. All new motor and tranny mounts, new suspension front and back, new brakes all around, timing just done at 90k. I mean it runs, drives, looks (ZERO dings or scratches) no stains, tears, or marks of any kind on the inside. The car looks and runs like brand new and I love it.

So my problem is if I sell it what can I buy thats the same or better for $18k - $22k. Maybe a 2002 LS430 with like 50k-65k possibly. Yeah it newer than mine but will it be a "Better" car. I have read here on CL where some people were disappoint moving from their 98-00 LS to a 01-03 LS430. These complaint were due to squeaks in the wood dash, ride, seats being hard, some wind noise... I'm just scared to get rid or a perfectly good car that gives me no headaches.

At the same time JM Lexus has spoiled me rotten beyond belief with their service. A new loaner car every time I take my car in for anything. I have paid ZERO for all repairs or close to zero for some of my cars replacements shock, mounts and stuff. Yet I know their so called "good will" warranty will run out on my once I roll 100k miles (it did on my RX300). So LS430 even with 50k miles on it will be to me like having a fully covered warranty, in a way.

So I am stuck big time. I really want a 04 or newer but right now with me going into new business ventures spending $15k on a car (above the $18k for my LS) is NOT a smart move.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Jerry
Old 08-16-07, 08:22 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you think you will find another in the same shape for that money , knowing how well you looked after it?
Old 08-16-07, 08:29 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Horta
Hey all

Well my business partner has borrowed my car a couple of time lately and is in love with it. Today he seriously offered to buy my car for $18k. Yeah at first it sounds like a deal to me. At the same time I have taken it to JM Lexus service every 5k miles and now has 97k, but its perfectly maintained. All new motor and tranny mounts, new suspension front and back, new brakes all around, timing just done at 90k. I mean it runs, drives, looks (ZERO dings or scratches) no stains, tears, or marks of any kind on the inside. The car looks and runs like brand new and I love it.

So my problem is if I sell it what can I buy thats the same or better for $18k - $22k. Maybe a 2002 LS430 with like 50k-65k possibly. Yeah it newer than mine but will it be a "Better" car. I have read here on CL where some people were disappoint moving from their 98-00 LS to a 01-03 LS430. These complaint were due to squeaks in the wood dash, ride, seats being hard, some wind noise... I'm just scared to get rid or a perfectly good car that gives me no headaches.

At the same time JM Lexus has spoiled me rotten beyond belief with their service. A new loaner car every time I take my car in for anything. I have paid ZERO for all repairs or close to zero for some of my cars replacements shock, mounts and stuff. Yet I know their so called "good will" warranty will run out on my once I roll 100k miles (it did on my RX300). So LS430 even with 50k miles on it will be to me like having a fully covered warranty, in a way.

So I am stuck big time. I really want a 04 or newer but right now with me going into new business ventures spending $15k on a car (above the $18k for my LS) is NOT a smart move.

Jerry
Wow, tough decision. You could sell it to me for $1500....

Seriously, sounds like you put a lot of care to look after the car. I'd line up something I know I was going to buy for sure before I let my girl go...
Old 08-16-07, 08:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ur looking at a tradeoff because theres never any guarantee that a car u purchase will ahve the same type of **** person as the drive (maint. wise).

u COULD sell it then pick up a newer LS 99-00 with similar miles and pocket a few grand though >.>
Old 08-16-07, 08:56 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

$18K for a 98 with nearly 100K on the odometer? I'd sell it in a heartbeat. Honestly, my 99 with 51K miles more than likely is not as clean as yours. My interior is really nice with little to no wear because of the miles, but I do have some body dings and I don't have a sunroof even if mine is otherwise nicely equipped with the NAK audio system and such. I was planing on selling mine for $16,800. For me, if you have an opportunity to sell the car higher than average especially when the car has nearly 100K miles on it, do it. Tomorrow God forbid it might get stolen or in an accident and the insurance will not give you $18K for your car.

As to what car for a replacement? If you like the 98-00 than look for another one. Otherwise I'd definitely try and move into a UCF30/31. It might cost a bit more, but I'd shoot for a 2004 LS430.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-16-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 08:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nah...keep it. You have a known car and confidence with it.
He can find one of his own.
Old 08-16-07, 09:40 PM
LexChamp
Driver

No Brainer, You can upgrade to a 2000 and up. I’ve seemed a lot of good deals out there. Regardless how well you have take care of it, it is still close to 100 thousand miles. Posted on EBay and see how much you'll get for a 98 with that kind of mileage, It won’t be close to 18,000.
Old 08-16-07, 10:16 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Horta
Hey all

Jerry
Here in KY my 99 with 77,000 miles retails at $17,250... I bought it for $19,000 at the beginning of the year, which I thought was kinda fair. That 99 would go for $15,000 TOPS here in KY, and maybe less in FL. That's a deal for you. Of course I see where you are comming from with the whole maintaining issue.

I personally, wont let my car go for anything in the world. I am keeping this car until it starts to fall apart...and then only maybe. It has a timeless took to it, and those taillights really do it justice.
Old 08-16-07, 11:35 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

considering your car is perfect.... i would keep it. 18k is alot for a ten year old car, but considering its condition... i would still keep it. I doubt you'll find something as clean as yours.

Sounds like you needa buy a new LS460 from JM Lexus Starfire pearl, of course. I bet they got you as a customer for life. Sounds like they deserve it.
Old 08-17-07, 06:28 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Sell it buy something newer or equivalent and pocket the excess cash. At the end of the day, its just a car.
Old 08-17-07, 07:39 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

I don't think I'd sell it just to move to a newer LS. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think there's that big of a difference between the two to warrant spending more money just for the hell of it.

I plan on keeping my LS until it drops.
Old 08-17-07, 08:36 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my '96 LS cost me $4,000, looks good, drives well, and is (in my opinion) better than 1/5 of your car. In other words, your car isn't five times as good

So sell it and get a cheaper LS! Pocket ze difference
Old 08-17-07, 09:23 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would sell it if I were you without thinking. Either you sell it now for that much, or sell it for $11K elsewhere.

I wouldn't think twice about the sale, a 98 w/100K is worth 10-11K on the market.

Its not easy to find one in the condition yours is in, but thats how the market works.

I would say sell it, and buy a newer +01-02 and you wont be disappointed. OR you can find a 2000 with 30K for less then that.

Believe me when I say I know the LS market very well, esp in Florida. However, its your choice, and at the end of the day, your the one who's going to drive it.
Old 08-18-07, 12:07 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it. Save your money for your business venture. The car will depreciate but if you know your return on the business and can make 50-300% on your money and keep turning it you will eventually be able to get what you want.
Cars will always be there.
Old 08-18-07, 11:46 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasonm
Keep it. Save your money for your business venture. The car will depreciate but if you know your return on the business and can make 50-300% on your money and keep turning it you will eventually be able to get what you want.
Cars will always be there.

Yep thats my plan. I would only be happy moving to a 2004 and that would cost me around $15k - $18k cash. I can due better things right now with the money. I AM a car nut but man I could not find any car I could but for the $18 - $22k price range that would be a clear upgrade for my LS. Luxury is my priority not performace.

So thank you all so much here in CL. I will keep my car just a little longer and with no regrets.

Jerry

PS for al of you who said SELL IT, please please show me a car on eBay, Autotrader, or Cars.com that you woulod but or reccomend for the $18k. You may just convince me. Just remember Luxury is priority.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 98 LS for $18k