LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fitted Big Brakes !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 01:15 AM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitted Big Brakes !!

I have finally got my later model LS 4 spot alloy calipers on with locally made slotted rotors and new flat balljoint arms .
Put them on on saturday night in about 2 hours so didn't take any pics , will get some when I paint the calipers .
A big improvement , emergency stops are awesome and in general driving you just use a lot less foot pressure , considering I was up for a caliper rebuild and new slotted disc's anyway the extra for the big brakes was worth every cent !!
Old 07-25-07, 01:38 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Please post pics! What do you mean by flat balljoint arms? Was this necessary to fit the calipers?
Old 07-25-07, 05:45 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice! Definitely post some pics when you get the chance
Old 07-25-07, 10:13 PM
ctscna1
Driver School Candidate

flat ball joint arm maybe meaning 95+ ball joint that use to clear the big caliper.
Old 07-25-07, 11:03 PM
takumi117
Driver

Originally Posted by ctscna1
flat ball joint arm maybe meaning 95+ ball joint that use to clear the big caliper.
That's funny... Cause I put the Supra TT calipers in mine, and they fit right in There Like Swimwear! Same size I suppose...
Old 07-25-07, 11:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by takumi117
That's funny... Cause I put the Supra TT calipers in mine, and they fit right in There Like Swimwear! Same size I suppose...
no, supposedly there is a difference in the 95-97 and 98-00 LS4 calipers, with one needing the new flat balljoint and one not.

95-00 LS4 caliper is going to give u nearly (VERY NEARLY) the same braking power as a mkiv Supra TT setup will, only difference is that mkiv has better selection of pads (doesnt matter since the LS STILL weighs ~2tons) and the LS4 are slightly thicker.`
Old 07-25-07, 11:43 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

The calipers I have have bigger pistons than the Supra calipers and so are slightly longer , I don't know what year they are from but they wouldn't fit with the stepped arms .
I will try to find out if they are later early or later later type !!
Old 07-26-07, 12:00 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richonenz
The calipers I have have bigger pistons than the Supra calipers and so are slightly longer , I don't know what year they are from but they wouldn't fit with the stepped arms .
I will try to find out if they are later early or later later type !!
This would definitely be useful information.

How do you like the larger calipers?
Old 07-26-07, 12:52 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, Rich.. post of the full specs when you can!

Originally Posted by Suneet
This would definitely be useful information.

How do you like the larger calipers?
A story if I may...

there really isn't much NOT to like about bigger calipers..

When I got my Endless 6pot/4pot installed (another car) that's all I heard for a month was: "How do you like them?"... Bigger Brakes rule. There really isn't much negative to say about it.

Last edited by illcelsior; 07-26-07 at 12:53 PM. Reason: forgot the NOT
Old 07-26-07, 03:03 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Ummm , how do I like the bigger calipers ?
Whats to say , I have bigger disc's with a big increase in the swept area , they fill the 18" wheels up nicely , it brakes more smoother , I need to use less pedal pressure , the brakes are more progressive I don't have any two piston sliding calipers to gum up etc , etc and when you really have to stop fast and I mean cause some A/Hole has pulled out on you , it will stop 20 to 30 feet sooner , that's the difference between a big hit or just giving someone the finger and then moving on .
So yes I like them a lot and this is to mention that I was due for a caliper rebuild and new disc's anyway .
My partner likes them and the first time she has to stop really quickly she will like them even more !!
I also like the way people go...ohhh not much clearance , gee they are really close , awesome look how BIG the disc's are , but hey clearance is clearance !!
They either hit or they miss and they miss by about 4 mm...how much do you need !!
So all around an awesome mod , not only safer , but visually excellant as well .
Old 07-26-07, 07:04 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richonenz
Ummm , how do I like the bigger calipers ?
Whats to say , I have bigger disc's with a big increase in the swept area , they fill the 18" wheels up nicely , it brakes more smoother , I need to use less pedal pressure , the brakes are more progressive I don't have any two piston sliding calipers to gum up etc , etc and when you really have to stop fast and I mean cause some A/Hole has pulled out on you , it will stop 20 to 30 feet sooner , that's the difference between a big hit or just giving someone the finger and then moving on .
So yes I like them a lot and this is to mention that I was due for a caliper rebuild and new disc's anyway .
My partner likes them and the first time she has to stop really quickly she will like them even more !!
I also like the way people go...ohhh not much clearance , gee they are really close , awesome look how BIG the disc's are , but hey clearance is clearance !!
They either hit or they miss and they miss by about 4 mm...how much do you need !!
So all around an awesome mod , not only safer , but visually excellant as well .

You gotta get us some pics!