LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

hey.. how do you guys clean your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 02:33 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default hey.. how do you guys clean your engine? (Mine Now Cleaned - picture inside..)

how do you guys clean your engine.. is there anything i need to cover up.. before i spray it down?... thanks in advance..

Last edited by tuterz; 07-17-07 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-15-07, 04:30 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep the engine running while washing it.
Use simply green and a garden hose then dry with a microfiber cloth.
Old 07-15-07, 05:17 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually go over to my friend's house which has a huge air compressor. I buy several cans of engine degreaser and use the hose after the degreaser does its work. Then I use compressed air to clear out the remaining water from electrical components, etc.
Old 07-15-07, 08:29 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't let it get dirty. every week I pop the hood and use any cleaning spray and microfiber cloth to wipe off dirt/dust. That's what I do. Good luck!
Old 07-15-07, 10:48 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance

Are you serious? You just turn the engine on, pop the hood, and spray with a hose? There are not any potential electric problems?

I've never cleaned my engine, so I'm curious.
Old 07-15-07, 10:54 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im probably gonna go out tomorrow and do it, buy some engine degreaser and just wipe down the visible areas of the engine, but the MF towels are gonna get destroyed afterwards..so im probably gonna use some paper towels.
Old 07-16-07, 01:15 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm.. so which method should i go for?.. haha.. im afraid to keep my engine running.. so whats the purpose to that... ?
Old 07-16-07, 09:19 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol..DONT keep ur engine running cuz its gonna get too hot to touch.
Old 07-16-07, 02:36 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't clean with a hose very often. I clean the bay each week shen I wash the exterior. I use a degreaser like Simple Green and get most areas by hand. The problem with the hose is if the pressure is too high it can cause problems with electronics, etc. You won't know it until you go to start it and it won't. If you do use the hose turn it down low and get er done quick bro.
Old 07-16-07, 04:17 PM
Compound13
Driver School Candidate

Cover all electronics and spray degreaser, Then I bust out my Craftsman 2500 PSI pressure washer.
Old 07-16-07, 05:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I wouldn't advise washing the engine hot or running. Dousing it with generous amounts of water is a good recipe for warpage or in the case of an iron block...cring-crack.

Mine only gets dusty and that is easily removed with a mildly damp rag or in grimy instances with some Simple Green. If there is oil grime...that usually indicates leaks so fixing those areas will help keep the engine from getting dust/gunk stuck to it.

Water in the alternator can be bad as well. With all the electronics, it isn't my thought to use a pressure sprayer to test the electronic component seals.
Old 07-16-07, 07:17 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I do... my car's got 180k but the engine is so clean you could eat off it.
  • Come home from normal driving
  • Let car sit for about an hour, so the engine is warm but not really hot
  • Spray down with Penzoil/Gumout Steam engine cleaner
  • Use brush to get into small spots and tough dirt/grime
  • Spray off with engine cleaner
  • Dry off plastics with towel
  • Let car sit for another 4-6 hours just for extra precaution
  • Start her up and enjoy your minty-fresh engine.
Old 07-16-07, 07:18 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard from professional detailers NOT to use Simple Green because it damages rubber and certain plastics in the engine bay and can lead to premature cracking.
Old 07-16-07, 08:12 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Never had a problem with any simple green product as it just breaks down grime not petroleum based products such as gaskets unlike many other products. So the people telling you simple green is bad are basing it on some clueless person. It is like saying using water to wash a paint brush is bad on a water based paint.

You keep the engine running so if water gets somewhere 2 things happen it either evaporated so it does not pool and cause problems as well as if water gets somewhere the engine will start to stutter and you know not to spray there anymore. Always keep the engine hot and running , having it warm is not bad but enough water can cool the areas and it will allow it to pool easier. As for cracking your block by washing it , that is based on more fiction than star wars. You would need to super heat a block to maybe 800 degrees and then blast it with liquid nitrogen to super cool the metal to cause it to be damage . An engine by design is made to get wet so that is not an issue. Putting too much water in the wrong spots can cause damage but only by causing shorts in the electrical .

Like i said keep it hot and you have no issues. You don't shove the hose into every crevice , just give it a misting and move across the top back and forth in a quick motion to remove dirt.
Old 07-16-07, 09:33 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
Simple Green automotive cleaner ROCKS!!!!! I use it when I clean my motor also. It has a decent smell also.

I hate the "Foam Engine" cleaner they sell at the auto stores. I used it once and my interior and motor smelled of the chemical for days.. Terrible, It's too harsh of chemicals.

Quick Reply: hey.. how do you guys clean your engine?