LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone ever had their car shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 11:33 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone ever had their car shut off?

does anyone else have this problem? I would be driving and all of a sudden, when i would get to a traffic light, the car would just cut off on me. what is that about? it happened with my brother when he drove it too. whats the problem?

I carried it to the lexus mechanic we go to, and he tested for codes and didnt find any problems. he cannot point out what the problem is. has anyone ever had this problem?

its a 93 BTW
Old 06-30-07, 11:35 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dirty throttle body/iacv,bad ecu
Old 06-30-07, 11:55 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. Just happened to me 1/2 hour ago, it just died because I was stuck in traffic. I did notice the idle was a little low right before it happened.

So I'm going to check it out later this morning.
Old 07-01-07, 12:20 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well my brother had the same problem a few months ago, and THAT was the throttle body. his idle was low and would cut.

but my car, the idle doesnt drop. the lexus mechanic says he really cannot pinpoint the problem, and doesnt know how to fix it.

the car would jus cut off.
he says it isnt the throttle body
Old 07-01-07, 05:58 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

adjust TPS.
Old 07-01-07, 07:47 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Yep, I've had the engine die every two to four years over the last 17+ years on two different LS400's - a 1990 and my current 2000. It happened for the second time a few months ago on my 2000 LS.

Every single time, the cause was a bad battery -- a cracked connection between the cells that causes the engine to die, usually when making a low speed turn or after hitting a bump or pothole at low speed.

The last time it happened, I didn't bother to have the battery checked and just wheeled into a nearby store and bought a new one -- problem solved.

My mechanic told me that the LS400 is particularly hard on batteries.
Old 07-01-07, 10:28 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I investigated why my car dipped in idle. Turns out one of the vacuum caps I put on cracked.

But four dash lights popped up recently. Check Oil Light, Battery Light, Alternator Light? and Brake Light. I did a search and found that the alternator may be on the fritz. I did fix the power steering leak a while ago but maybe it finally took its toll...

...what's weird is that it turns on only at under 1K RPM. As soon as I hit the gas it goes away. I'm pretty sure its the alternator.
Old 07-02-07, 09:15 AM
illcelsior
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternator.
Old 07-02-07, 01:54 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ill400
Alternator.
Yea, hey anybody know how hard it is to install an alternator? I'm kinda broke right now, so if I can install it myself and save the $$, that would be better.
Old 07-02-07, 06:17 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Avalon, alternator not a hard install. I just changed mine in December. Release tension off serpentine belt with idler pulley, and then disconnect and remove from the bottom end. The space is kinda tight, but it is the easiest way to remove. Remember to disconnect the battery first, of course.

Last edited by trukn1; 07-02-07 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 08:46 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trukn1
Avalon, alternator not a hard install. I just changed mine in December. Release tension off serpentine belt with idler pulley, and then disconnect and remove from the bottom end. The space is kinda tight, but it is the easiest way to remove. Remember to disconnect the battery first, of course.
Thank you. You're not kidding. The space is VERY TIGHT.

I got around to removing it today. Seems that the nut holding the top portion of the alternator was going soft...I need to replace it as well.

Took the alternator to be tested at Autozone, it tested bad. I got alternator I'm going to install tomorrow (did the uninstall late in the day).

There was SO MUCH OIL on the ole alternator. Upon closer inspection, it seems that I didn't tighten down enough on the bolt I used to delete the EVO from my power steering pump.

Well, lesson learned. I bought some high temp silicone just in case and I'm going to hammer down on that sucker.
Old 07-03-07, 10:37 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I got the alternator installed. Seems to run fine but one light keeps coming up...is this the alternator light? Why would it come on? I'm pretty sure I installed everything correctly...the battery has a full charge.

Am I missing something? I've circled it as best I could in MS Paint.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever had their car shut off?-dscf0001.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 12:37 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Default sonuva...

...I just got back from Autozone. The rebuilt alternator is only putting out 57amps. It is rated for 100AMPs, so I'm getting just 57% of capacity.

That may be why the alternator light is on.

So, as much fun as it was to uninstall and reinstall, I get to do it all over again!

Oh well, a good deal is always a good deal.
Old 07-04-07, 03:58 PM
illcelsior
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't look like the alternator light to me..
Old 07-04-07, 06:14 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by illcelsior
That doesn't look like the alternator light to me..
What is it then? I really don't know...I just saw it turn on when the car is running. I assumed it had to do something with the alternator because it lit up along with the battery light, brake light, and check oil light when my original alternator died.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had their car shut off?