LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Modded my airbox - If you haven't, DO IT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 03:13 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Modded my airbox - If you haven't, DO IT!

I modified my airbox earlier today. I couldn't find plastic strips like Lexkost used, but I used foam instead. I wrapped it around my air filter, and then tightened the clamp, securing it in the airbox. I've removed the airbox front piece, and secured the radiator cover with velcro to avoid modifying it. The results are stunning. There is no noticeable or apreciable difference in engine noise at low RPM's, but when she's allowed to rev up, it's music to my ears. I saw a video earlier today of a UCF21 with a modded airbox, and let me be the first to tell you; that video did not capture the sound the engine makes. It sounds so much better in person. Therefore, I implore you, my fellow LS owners, to go out there and mod your airboxes! I spent a total of ~$6 to mod mine and the results are worth $200!
Old 05-27-07, 04:17 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
I modified my airbox earlier today. I couldn't find plastic strips like Lexkost used, but I used foam instead. I wrapped it around my air filter, and then tightened the clamp, securing it in the airbox. I've removed the airbox front piece, and secured the radiator cover with velcro to avoid modifying it. The results are stunning. There is no noticeable or apreciable difference in engine noise at low RPM's, but when she's allowed to rev up, it's music to my ears. I saw a video earlier today of a UCF21 with a modded airbox, and let me be the first to tell you; that video did not capture the sound the engine makes. It sounds so much better in person. Therefore, I implore you, my fellow LS owners, to go out there and mod your airboxes! I spent a total of ~$6 to mod mine and the results are worth $200!
Sounds just like a V8
Old 05-27-07, 05:35 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, velcro makes its foray into the high performance market...

...I see a huge surge in sales and it passing duct tape in the months to come...just kidding dude, but seriously, it amazes me what we use sometimes...cardboard even...
Old 05-27-07, 06:52 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know your are just making a light hearted joke Avalon but you truly speak the truth this airbox thing being modded poorly is getting out of hand.
These are poor quality modifications done with no research to cars that are not civics but seem to be treated like one by these backyard techniques.
I strongly urge people to consult a professional before hacking apart your car because it sounds better and makes your pants feel you are faster . This kind of poor design is reducing the gas mileage and reliability of your car as would any short arm intake.
There are much better ways of going about doing this such as the srt intake with a proper heat shield with fuel management .

Just my 2 cents , but i have a civic to destroy and tinker not a beautiful machine like my LS to subject this type of mod 2.
Old 05-27-07, 07:01 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
I know your are just making a light hearted joke Avalon but you truly speak the truth this airbox thing being modded poorly is getting out of hand.
These are poor quality modifications done with no research to cars that are not civics but seem to be treated like one by these backyard techniques.
I strongly urge people to consult a professional before hacking apart your car because it sounds better and makes your pants feel you are faster . This kind of poor design is reducing the gas mileage and reliability of your car as would any short arm intake.
There are much better ways of going about doing this such as the srt intake with a proper heat shield with fuel management .

Just my 2 cents , but i have a civic to destroy and tinker not a beautiful machine like my LS to subject this type of mod 2.
I haven't hacked anything. That's precisely why I used velcro in the first place. There is no reduction in reliability by simply removing the front airbox cover, which only serves to decrease the noise level under the hood. By the way, is there an SRT intake for the UCF20?
Old 05-27-07, 07:28 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

The use of Velcro ,Ty straps , duct tape and cardboard is what i am ,mainly referring too.
If you feel removing the restriction to STOP heated engine air from entering the engine not a reliability issue then that is your opinion on the subject. Every single car made on the planet from any car maker even a daewoo takes that into consideration for a reason. If you know something i don't or the engineers don't please tell me , as i have have no pro's for doing it other than low end torque increases from volumetric efficiency other than con's.

SRT makes and uses the same one as the GS 400 for the LS.
Old 05-27-07, 07:31 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
The use of Velcro ,Ty straps , duct tape and cardboard is what i am ,mainly referring too.
If you feel removing the restriction to STOP heated engine air from entering the engine not a reliability issue then that is your opinion on the subject. Every single car made on the planet from any car maker even a daewoo takes that into consideration for a reason. If you know something i don't or the engineers don't please tell me , as i have have no pro's for doing it other than low end torque increases from volumetric efficiency other than con's.

SRT makes and uses the same one as the GS 400 for the LS.
UCF20, not UCF21.
Old 05-27-07, 08:58 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

When I was joking, I meant it in the sense of the quality of items we had to resort to use since there is a premium price on Lexus performance parts.

Honestly, if you think about what you can get a Civic intake for, and then compare it to what you would pay for a Lexus one, it is a friggin outrage.

and SK, you have to remember that OEM is obligated to configure the airbox that way because they need to meet federal regulation emission standards, even worse here in California with the CARB and SCAQMD.
Old 05-27-07, 09:23 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Well I don't think I could consider my intake hacked. I did the Exact same thing as LEXKOST, K/N and all. I wasn't about to cut into my Intake cover, that would be crazy.
Old 05-27-07, 10:04 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Well I don't think I could consider my intake hacked. I did the Exact same thing as LEXKOST, K/N and all. I wasn't about to cut into my Intake cover, that would be crazy.
I can get a 1LS airbox cover for less that $15 from Pick A Parts here in CA so thats why I hacked mine. Of course, 2LS ain't in the junkyards I've been to, so I can understand the apprehension of hacking it up. Or, I can just take the original piece (I kept it) and JB weld the hell out of it.

I don't think sony hacked his, he just took it off as he said.
Old 05-27-07, 10:49 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by avalon42
I can get a 1LS airbox cover for less that $15 from Pick A Parts here in CA so thats why I hacked mine. Of course, 2LS ain't in the junkyards I've been to, so I can understand the apprehension of hacking it up. Or, I can just take the original piece (I kept it) and JB weld the hell out of it.

I don't think sony hacked his, he just took it off as he said.
Yea, but I can see where SK is comming from. This is a $60,000 sedan we are talking about, a $1 billion dollar project Toyota put together to create the perfect ride, and here we are hacking it up like some little rice can.

Well, I know that the intake mod isn't too bad of a hack. At least we arent stacking those electric superchargers under our hoods. But either way, I think that the Mod that I did to my Car is no form Ricey, or crappy, although it did only cost $45 to accoplish...mainly filter.

That's 10% of what the SRT would cost and im not into that aluminum piping at all. That stuff scratches so bad and it also changes colors after time.
Old 05-27-07, 11:31 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Sony i am not sure how you are thinking of the term UCF20/21 as some consider it an air suspension difference and others are 95-97 and 98-00 years instead .

So to clarify it SRT makes it for a 98-00 GS 400 with the 1uz-fe motor which is identical to the 98-2000 LS400 1uz-fe . It is also not badly priced as it comes with a modified air fuel controller a heat shield and the appropriate piping and filter with dyno'd proof unlike 100% of under $200 systems . All of those price point intakes use a methodology of it fits ,now get a box and sell it . The box that fits is the end of there research.

How do i know? I used to work for Toucan industries makers of eurolight ractive and evotion. They are the ultimate rice products for cars . Funny enough i got a job from them because i was always sifting through there warehouse in the 90's looking for parts and test fitting them on my ES to build systems and sell them. They needed someone who knew how to make parts work and fit besides some Taiwan manufacturer business in the middle of a rice field telling them it worked.

I modified my intake making it a true cold air intake on my LS . It is clean and uses the stock piping which is well built up to the filter housing . We all want gains that are easy but making them well built is another thing all together. It took me 7 versions to make one for my ES300 because i wanted the best power and reliability right down to using different filters and dynoing it.

The stock Lexus air plenum is made for reduced dirt entrapment but its biggest use is to reduce noise. The plenum before the filter has no carb or smog changes effects from the factory .By bypassing the plenum and feeding it with a maximum of 3 inch direct feed of cold air you will get the best power fuel and grunt to the note. There is no need to have it any bigger as the pipe behind the filter is still just smaller than the filter and will not help improve anything.

Running any intake breathing hot engine air will cause the car to run leaner as the maf will think less air is being ingested as it uses the termosistor to determine air flow over it by its temp. So from standing still it has increased suction of air as there is less restrictions. So it will jerk you back faster but have you ever heard of a power full car running lean or is it always rich? You may have a certain amount of air flow to the filter but unless it is in the direct flow or air and ducted towards the filter it will not help . You need a duct in the direct air stream over/under the car . All ls's are made to force air around the car with ease with little turbulence . Removing small bits of blocking material will increase the air flow but not enough that won't cause turbulence to make it bypass the small slits of air to get sucked in by air pressure .

Please if you are going to mod and LS mod it will class driven by technology .
I over analyze everything i do to the point where it is futile and i end up scrapping half my ideas because it was not perfect. These are good ideas of beginning to mod an intake but they are no where near being ripe or ready.
Hopefully what i said above makes some sense in what is missing in the equation.
Remember the combustion engine is just a big vacuum , you gain power by making it easier for it to suck air or blow carbon. Whether you use lightweight components or reduce turbulence in the intake or exhaust. All of the mods are to make it easier for the engine to apply torque to the driving wheel and not wasting it trying to overcome physical laws of friction , heat and pressure.
Old 05-28-07, 12:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

im not up to this discussion as im on vacation right now but all il say is that SRT's GS400/430 intake WILL NOT FIT the 98-00 LS w/o a decent bit of modification, the bend is a tad off and hits the thermostat housing if i remember right.
Old 05-28-07, 07:41 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
im not up to this discussion as im on vacation right now but all il say is that SRT's GS400/430 intake WILL NOT FIT the 98-00 LS w/o a decent bit of modification, the bend is a tad off and hits the thermostat housing if i remember right.
It doesn't matter anyway in the context of this thread since I have a 1995 LS400.
Old 05-28-07, 08:58 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an addon regarding 98-00 LS400 and the SRT intake I had asked Swift about the fit they replied saying it would fit wires and all but the heat shield needs to be modified to fit (aka cutting etc)

Just fyi

Quick Reply: Modded my airbox - If you haven't, DO IT!