LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Help, just bought 93 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 09:26 PM
ls400newb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help, just bought 93 LS400

Hi guys, first time having a lexus. We'll i just bought a 93, with 119k miles. has all maint. records from the lexus dealer, pretty much in perfect cosmetic condition and no accidents. After my second day of driving, ive been noticing problems.

#1, misfiring, idle stumblings, power loss, acceleration hesitation thoughout rpm *fixed problem* bad sparkplug wire. also replaced sparkpluges

#2, slight hesitation when acceleration from dead stop. feels like power stops, then immediatly starts again, low rpm range. hesitation is the best description i can think of, but its real slight and starting to get annoying.

#3, my speedo needle glows half only, and when i turn my car keys to the acces. position (not starting car but turnon on electricals) my HUD lights do not come on at all, not even when i turn on headlights. it does this even when i start the car. when i leave it alone for a while, it starts working again, but if i ever turn the key to the on position without starting the engine, it will do this.

#4, my nakamichi stereo just lost sound. completely. its on and i can change radio stations and such, but no sound.

#5, my powersteering sucks when im parallel parking or comming out of parallel parking. but when im driving it feels perfect.

#6, my window switches arent working right..works every so often, doenst seem like the motor is dying, just maybe a bad switch? anyone else have this problem?

#7, just a question, i plan on replacing my shocks with kyb gr-2's and just wondering if my elec. height adjustment and damning will stop working?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me, sorry if i didnt search enough..
Old 04-25-07, 10:23 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a list? Those are common problems. Use the search feature.
Old 04-25-07, 11:00 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Welcome to CL

Advanced search will give you better results:
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/search.php
(Make sure you uncheck the "Also search in child forums" box if you want results only from the forum you've selected to search in)

#2, slight hesitation when acceleration from dead stop. feels like power stops, then immediatly starts again, low rpm range. hesitation is the best description i can think of, but its real slight and starting to get annoying.
You should've changed caps (2) and rotors (2) along with the spark plugs and wires.
#3, my speedo needle glows half only, and when i turn my car keys to the acces. position (not starting car but turnon on electricals) my HUD lights do not come on at all, not even when i turn on headlights. it does this even when i start the car. when i leave it alone for a while, it starts working again, but if i ever turn the key to the on position without starting the engine, it will do this.
Needles going out is a common problem.
#4, my nakamichi stereo just lost sound. completely. its on and i can change radio stations and such, but no sound.
Did you get a car wash recently? Could be water leaking through the trunk and onto the amp, or a bad amp.
#5, my powersteering sucks when im parallel parking or comming out of parallel parking. but when im driving it feels perfect.
You need to be more specific...elaborate on what you mean by "sucks."
#6, my window switches arent working right..works every so often, doenst seem like the motor is dying, just maybe a bad switch? anyone else have this problem?
Could be the switch, but it could also be dying motors as well.

#7, just a question, i plan on replacing my shocks with kyb gr-2's and just wondering if my elec. height adjustment and damning will stop working?
If you have air suspension, then you can't replace it with KYB's...you'll have to replace it with an air suspension shock (around $1000 new) or convert your entire suspension to springs/shocks.

http://www.lextreme.com/ascon.html
Old 04-26-07, 01:10 AM
ls400newb
Driver School Candidate

You should've changed caps (2) and rotors (2) along with the spark plugs and wires.
actually a mechanic did this for me, but he didnt say anything about cap and rotors. any idea on how much for the parts and how hard of an install?

Did you get a car wash recently? Could be water leaking through the trunk and onto the amp, or a bad amp
actually just got a car wash today. guess thats that.

You need to be more specific...elaborate on what you mean by "sucks."
the power steering is hard to steer while the car isnt moving. multiple turns on the steering wheel...while parallel parking. it gets hard...actually kinda feels like the power steering pump is trying...but once im going, even making turns at lights its fine.

BTW, thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-07, 05:16 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Hope you didnt pay too much because you sound like you bought a money pit.
Old 04-26-07, 01:11 PM
ls400newb
Driver School Candidate

i paid 4700. and im kind of bummed out cus iv'e already spent over $300 for the spark plug wire set w/sparkplugs installed. :[
Old 04-26-07, 01:50 PM
pito
Lead Lap

Actually you just seem to have all of the common problems associated with first gen LS's.

Maybe a throttle body cleaning or seafoam treatment just to see. Have you checked the air filter?
Old 04-26-07, 03:08 PM
ls400newb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pito
Actually you just seem to have all of the common problems associated with first gen LS's.

Maybe a throttle body cleaning or seafoam treatment just to see. Have you checked the air filter?
actually, i love the car. its just these small problems that nickel and dime you broke. im going to use that seafoam stuff today and see how that feels.
Old 04-26-07, 04:52 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ls400newb
actually a mechanic did this for me, but he didnt say anything about cap and rotors. any idea on how much for the parts and how hard of an install?

actually just got a car wash today. guess thats that.

the power steering is hard to steer while the car isnt moving. multiple turns on the steering wheel...while parallel parking. it gets hard...actually kinda feels like the power steering pump is trying...but once im going, even making turns at lights its fine.

BTW, thanks for the help.
Rotors were $9 each and caps were $19 each from Carson Toyota (www.l-tunedparts.com).

The carwash explains the loss of sound. Just give it a day or two for the water/moisture to dry up...leaving your trunk open in the sun will speed up the process.

Did you check the power steering fluid level? Maybe it's time to for a PS flush/clean?

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275801
Old 04-26-07, 06:22 PM
ls400newb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
Rotors were $9 each and caps were $19 each from Carson Toyota (www.l-tunedparts.com).

The carwash explains the loss of sound. Just give it a day or two for the water/moisture to dry up...leaving your trunk open in the sun will speed up the process.

Did you check the power steering fluid level? Maybe it's time to for a PS flush/clean?

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275801
actually, the radio is ok now.

as for the PS, i will check the fluid level, and possibly do the PS flush.

i used to own 5 nissan silvias (turbo) and we used to put ATF tranny oil into the powersteering instead of PS fluid. everyone in the Nissan community knew about this fix. Worked MUCH better and fixed all leaking/ps problems. Wonder if the lexus PS works the same way.
Old 04-26-07, 06:46 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls400newb
actually, the radio is ok now.

as for the PS, i will check the fluid level, and possibly do the PS flush.

i used to own 5 nissan silvias (turbo) and we used to put ATF tranny oil into the powersteering instead of PS fluid. everyone in the Nissan community knew about this fix. Worked MUCH better and fixed all leaking/ps problems. Wonder if the lexus PS works the same way.
This car is supposed to use Dexron III ATF fluid in the power steering system. Not the bottles labeled "power steering".. Make sure you are using Dexron III, and check the power steering sticky thread at the top of the forum for more info.