LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ECT and rear light issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 05:24 AM
Staticam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ECT and rear light issues?

Gidday,

It took a while but I’ve finally got my Lexus. It’s ex. Singapore, Star sapphire Blue over Grey, with 150k on the clock. I spent all weekend giving it a bath and fixing little bits here and there, generally cleaning and tidying. Two things I haven’t yet figured out:

1. The trans mode switch Norm ECT Power, doesn’t appear to be working (no indication light). Could just be the bulb – can you tell the difference in shift points between the two modes, if so what are they or should I be looking elsewhere?

2. I fixed the hi-stop lamp now the rear light warning indicator doesn’t come on but … There is only one tail (top) and one brake (bottom) light on each side. All the bulbs look good and the reverse lights work. What do I check now?

Even though it has these faults … Yeah, I like it ... a lot.
Cheers all,
Old 03-26-07, 11:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no idea about the trans.

for the brake lights check the wiring harness on the trunk hinge, theres always at least 1 wire that shorts and causes randomly strange things to start happening
Old 03-27-07, 01:40 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I ended up having to make a new ground for the circuit that operates the drivers side rear tail lights.

Mine is no longer grounded via the oem harness connection. Things have worked fine since.

There have long been suspicions that trunk hinge movement over the years sooner or later defeats the integrity of the oem wiring in the older LS models.
Old 03-27-07, 02:41 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Staticam

1. The trans mode switch Norm ECT Power, doesn’t appear to be working (no indication light). Could just be the bulb – can you tell the difference in shift points between the two modes, if so what are they or should I be looking elsewhere?

Bulb burned out in my SC4... so i replaced with the seatbelt warning bulb... since it was the only one I was willing to sacrifice
Old 03-27-07, 03:47 AM
Staticam
Driver School Candidate

OK I'll chase down those options over the next week, thanks.
Interestingly I saw another same model Lex today also with only the lower stop lights.

Before I cleaned it ...

In case you're interested, pic's of the XJ's are here:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap...YEyTrwoQ%3D%3D
Old 03-27-07, 04:53 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

In some markets in which the LS400 was sold, only the top bulbs on each side of the rear light clusters function as tail lights with the bottom bulbs function only as brake lights. In some markets the top bulbs are dual fillament and also function as brake lights in concert with the lower bulbs.

If your LS400 has a rear fog light in the inner part of each rear light cluster and a rear fog light switch on the dash, then your LS would appear to be similar to those sold in UK/Europe markets. Even within the European market, there are subtle differences in the rear light functions of an LS400 with Germany having more stringent requirements.
Old 04-01-07, 04:03 AM
Staticam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
In some markets in which the LS400 was sold, only the top bulbs on each side of the rear light clusters function as tail lights with the bottom bulbs function only as brake lights.
That's what I've got. Can anyone pass me the wiring diagram for the rear lights? I’d like to reconfigure them to get two or three sectors working as both stop and tail. TIA

Ok I pulled the dash cluster out and replaced the duff ECT PWR bulb, then cleaned it all up. The PO had left some real bad crud etched into the clear cover. I used some fine metal polish then went over it with a swirl reducing wax polish, better.

Shoved it all back together and fired it up. All lights working, great. That D position light is bright … I thought I must have done a real good job cleaning. Well it was bright till I went out of that gear and back again, nadda. Bugger, the cluster has to come out again, oh well.