LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 08:55 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farquad
i believe that's not it
Why is that?
Old 12-08-09, 12:14 AM
no1gsxr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could the steering flutter that some members are experiencing be caused from eliminating the valve or plugging the hoses? Are all members with this quick fix feeling the flutter.
Old 12-13-09, 06:22 AM
vince009
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks for the power steering info and some pictures

Hello,
Thanks for the information on the power steering system. I cleaned out the tiny filter and flushed the whole system and it works great, better than ever.
I took pictures of the filter while working on it. How do you want me to pass them to you so you can include them with this post.

Vince
Attached Thumbnails The First Gen Power Steering Bible-mvc-003s.jpg   The First Gen Power Steering Bible-mvc-005s.jpg   The First Gen Power Steering Bible-mvc-006s.jpg  
Old 12-13-09, 06:35 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VInce009,

How dirty was the filter? How many miles on your vehicle?

Jim
Old 12-13-09, 03:26 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took me about an hour, (with crappy tools and poor lighting), but I finally got the power steering reservoir off of this crap car and I think it was a waste of time. The remaining fluid went everywhere... on the pulley, etc. I imagine I will have a majorly slipping belt, etc.

I can see light easily shining through the screen. Also that link says to "bend up the tabs" to remove the cover, but thats easier said than done. I cant figure out how to get them to bend up. I tried using a screw driver, but no luck.

I guess I will use that 3m advhesive remover spray and go ahead and spray it the best I can. To be honest, I may never be able to get the reservior on again.

I guess all that is left is the pump is bad or the rack. I owe $2000 on it and I am sure I cant get that out of it in its current state. I am going to have to lose alot of money on this car. I may can get $1700-1800 for it as is and let the new owner deal with it.
Old 12-17-09, 09:51 AM
cvp911t
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a Power Steering Line diagram showing the high pressure hose? My mechanic couldn't find it in his manual. Also found an aftermarket power steering hose that's 2 pieces (pressure line assembly from pump ($50)and pressure line assembly to gear($60)) Never heard of a 2 piece high pressure hose-anybody else know anything about it? Come to think I don't know about the OEM one, is it one piece or 2 pieces?? Sorry to sound so vague but this is my first experience with this car-dealership sells it for $400 so was just trying to save some $$$

Last edited by cvp911t; 12-17-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 11:44 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice website

http://www.carbibles.com/productreviews.html
Old 01-05-10, 06:43 PM
hp32si
Driver School Candidate

Default Where do the vac. line go on the valve?

HELP---I didn't mark the lines coming off the valve when I replaced my power steering pump---Can anyone tell me which line goes where on the valve---or does it mater--- One line goes into the plastic intake and the other is located on the front of the metal intake on top of the motor. My old valve completely let go and pumped all the fluid in to the motor--White smoke every where---Very interesting to see--NOT! Have everything ready to go back together but just need this little bit information---PLEASE HELP
THanks
Old 01-18-10, 06:19 AM
lexusguard
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine went too at nearly 191,000 miles

Got in my car this morning to discover I had no power steering. Just checked a few minutes ago- no fluid in the resevoir and the driver's side wheel well is all wet with fluid. Since I am at work I can't take a better look but I'm assuming I have a busted line. I don't know what else on the pump would leak like that, unless the pump itself cracked open and sprayed everywhere.
Old 06-03-10, 09:22 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hp32si
Can anyone tell me which line goes where on the valve---or does it mater--- One line goes into the plastic intake and the other is located on the front of the metal intake on top of the motor.
I don't think it matters, they seem to go to the same place. When I took mine apart the top line went to the "front of the metal intake on top of the motor" and the bottom went to "the plastic intake"
Old 06-04-10, 03:20 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why plug or bypass?

I found that practically any valve from a Toyota brand vehicle will work. The truck was easiest to remove so I used a valve from it. Pick N Pull $5.00.
Old 07-10-10, 11:00 AM
JustCraza
Driver School Candidate

I've read the majority of the thread, but not sure if this question has been answered. I just bought a 1990 LS and there is an incredibly small leak coming out of the rack boot, but the leak is enough to fail the car for the inspection. They told me to replace the entire power steering rack, so I was wondering, is there some small, simple fix for plugging this part of the rack? I can take pictures if needed.
Thanks a ton,
Jimmy
Old 07-10-10, 12:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no, to fix it properly you need to replace the rack or have it rebuilt with new seals.
Old 07-11-10, 08:00 PM
JustCraza
Driver School Candidate

Gotcha, I bought this car hoping I wouldn't have to do anything since I have two project cars, but oh well haha. Thanks a ton.
Old 09-22-10, 04:50 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SW07ES
Is the RED arrow or GREEN arrow the correct place to pound?
For the equivalent part on my '91, you hit on the red mark to loosen it. First mark the fixed/moving parts with a sharpie so that when you're done you can hit on the green mark until the sharpie marks line up and you know it is as tight as before.
I just used a normal Craftsman flat screwdriver with a couple of medium taps with a hammer (as if driving a 1.5" nail).
First time I took it off (~160k miles, probably never done before), the screen was slightly torn and it was full of junk. Drastic improvement in PS. Next time, ~1 year later, there was just a little junk in there. Third time, ~1 year later, it was perfectly clean. So I think this probably needs to be a maintenance thing until you get all the junk out, then you're good for a long time. I'll probably check mine again in a few years.

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible