LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 10:09 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i decided today i've had enough with the white smoke coming out my exhaust everytime i start it up.(well after a period of time) and went out to get the teflon and the plug bolt. cost about 4 bucks. then got started and disconnected the two hoses that runs from the icv(acv) to the intake, and try to take off the icv for a little while with no success due to the lenght of the 17mm wrench.i then thought of an alternative.
i cut about 2 1/2 inch of one of the hose i removed and made a U shape. this will be on the nipples of the icv. so i put it on and put both lamp thingys on both ends. as for the two nipples on the intake i used the other hose i took off and connected each end to each nipple. and viola! no more white smoke...no wierd idle. dont really know how this is gonna hold up instead of replacing the icv with a bolt but only time will tell. (no pics sorry.)
Old 03-17-09, 12:15 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

update: just checked the icv that i used a piece of the hose to connect both ends of the nipple on the valve and its fine. but now it leaks!..dang it leaks from where the bolt is on the valve. i guess when the two hoses were connected from the icv to the intake and throttle body the vaccuum would suck up the ps fluid and no leak would show. now without the vaccuum a leak is present. looks like i'll be plugging it with a bolt pretty soon.
Old 03-18-09, 07:28 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Been there done that

So I have cleaned the screen on the solenoid, thoroughly flushed the system and replaced the vacuum switch.

Just an FYI the vacuum valves used in other Toyota models can be found in abundance for about $1.50 at your local wrecking yard and they fit just like the original.

There is no power assist when the engine is at idle (650 rpm). Does that mean the pump is not operating properly and needs to be rebuilt? I would like to know how to acurately diagnose the system so that I don't just throw parts at it hoping to fix it.

There are no leaks, no noises and everything works fine when above 1000 rpm

Last edited by KMinAF; 03-18-09 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 03:39 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

update#2: so i plugged the icv with a M14-1.50 oil plug bolt. and no more leaking!!=)
problems solve...i had to use a stubby 17mm combo wrench by the way.
Old 03-25-09, 07:46 AM
KMinAF
Rookie

Default Smaller pulley?

Just thinking out loud here, since the steering is only "heavy" at idle and works fine at rpms above 800, wouldn't this be indicative of a low pressure issue due to a faulty pump? And since the system works fine at higher speeds I was thinking that if the PS pulley were replaced with something smaller the pump would then spin faster as it does at higher rpms and resolve the "heavy" feel at idle issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-09, 07:32 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone had any luck with having their power steering line rebuilt? Has anyone bought one off of eBay? Where is the cheapest and reliable way to replace it?
Old 04-28-09, 09:47 AM
KMinAF
Rookie

Default Rebuilt PS line

I have had several high pressure PS lines and AC lines rebuilt at EVCO for about $35.00 each. Find a hydraulic hose repair/supplier and they can take care of the leaking lines for a lot cheaper than a new part.
Old 04-28-09, 04:42 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KMinAF
So I have cleaned the screen on the solenoid, thoroughly flushed the system and replaced the vacuum switch.

Just an FYI the vacuum valves used in other Toyota models can be found in abundance for about $1.50 at your local wrecking yard and they fit just like the original.

There is no power assist when the engine is at idle (650 rpm). Does that mean the pump is not operating properly and needs to be rebuilt? I would like to know how to acurately diagnose the system so that I don't just throw parts at it hoping to fix it.

There are no leaks, no noises and everything works fine when above 1000 rpm
I don't know enough to talk about this in detail but maybe someone could elaborate on the function of the Steering Control Module located under the dash and what the symptoms would be of that module being faulty. Would it throw a code?
Old 06-24-09, 09:14 PM
Maybizz
Driver School Candidate

this should be named 1st AND 2nd gen PS issues as i own a 95 and my rack needs to be replaced, hopefully thats what it is and only that....it started slowly and now i need to fill it up every other day...ya its getting fixed this week.....but its not leaking internally but i do notice smoke, i believe its because its the fluid leaking onto the exhaust or onto something hot causing it to smoke....if anybody knows thAT its smoking for a diff reason plz lemme know...thanks
Old 06-24-09, 09:20 PM
Maybizz
Driver School Candidate

and BTW this thread is awesome....should be glad for making something so important and useful for other people...good stuff man highly appreciated......
Old 08-19-09, 04:50 PM
Max Power

So is there any final word on where to go for the power steering rack? What's the cheapest available option?
Old 08-27-09, 06:19 AM
Max Power

Car I just bought is now puffing smoke on start haha.

No getting away from it huh!

Going to get e-test done and ICV removed and plugged.
Old 08-27-09, 12:36 PM
1Bentley
Rookie

Originally Posted by Max Power
So is there any final word on where to go for the power steering rack? What's the cheapest available option?
Try car-part.com . I just found a used rack for $60 plus $35 shipping. It's gone now because I ordered it, but there are similar deals available. Mine was supposedly pressure tested so we'll see when it gets here.
Old 08-27-09, 06:42 PM
Max Power

Originally Posted by 1Bentley
Try car-part.com . I just found a used rack for $60 plus $35 shipping. It's gone now because I ordered it, but there are similar deals available. Mine was supposedly pressure tested so we'll see when it gets here.
Sweet thanks!
Old 08-27-09, 06:43 PM
Max Power

So I passed the etest today and then came home and did the ICV fix.

Couldn't find the right bolt so I welded metal to the top of the valve and sealed it off completely haha. Air tight!

No more puffing smoke and the steering actually feels better. It feels tighter and more connected to the road. Not as floaty!

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible