LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 04:24 AM
pwrdbyrice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys i have a 94 LS400. not too long ago i also had that problem where the PS leaked to the alternator and killed it, so i went to this shop and they rebuilt my ps...but it still leaks...every week or so i have to refill it =\ at times i also get that white smoke at start up...i think its that idle control valve, maybe? haha iono i need to check up on the price to fix that
Old 09-01-08, 01:33 PM
aggieguy
Driver School Candidate

Default 94 LS400 PS leak--question after reading the "bible"

Hi all,

I read through the PS bible and searched the forums as well. I was hoping someone could help me out a bit. I don't have the white smoke at start up, am not having any PS issues that I notice through steering. But, I took my LS in to have the sub frame bolts torqued and the mechanic said I needed a new rack and pinon steering and showed me leaks and evidence of leeks on both sides. He said you don't see spots because it blows back while driving.

Does this sound like the rack and pinion needs to be replaced? I am no mechanic at all. My 94 has 139k miles and it has not been replaced yet.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-08-08, 01:17 PM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Anyone of you have the part number for the power steering solenoid located in this picture?

Power Steering Solenoid
Part Number - ???
Old 09-08-08, 01:28 PM
unstephenk
Driver School Candidate

Default Mission Sucessful

I completed both the alternator replacement and the valve replacement. When the Alternator was out I was able to see the Air Valve from underneath the car. I just unscrewed the valve and replaced it with the new one, then put the new alternator in. I have a 1991, the Air control Valve part number I used is 17630-16040. Payed 200 total. 60 for the Alternator and 140 for the valve at the dealership. Saved $1000. Thank God for this forum!!

It's been about a week and my Lexus LS400 feels brand new. No more white smoke!
Old 09-23-08, 02:32 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is a 92, and i'm glad that i don't have any problem from my power steering so far, no leaks either.
Old 10-22-08, 08:28 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

I need to resurrect this thread. I had some power steering problems and went to the mechanic today and he tells me that I need to replace the PS rack and he can't give me a price because he's got to get the part from Lexus. I know that if I go with that, I'm gonna get screwed. These guys (Toyota) will let me bring in my own parts. I have three questions:

1) How much can I expect this will set me back if I let them get the part from Lexus and install it?

2) Where can I order the rack myself?

3) Would you recommend a non OEM rack or stick with OEM?
Old 10-24-08, 08:48 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you are sitting down when you see the price, assuming you need the entire rack.

Sewell shows the part number as 44250-50090.

The parts diagram and pricing are shown here:

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/***...l=209&year=157

The price shown ($1,658.51) is suggested retail.

www.lexuspartsonline.com lists their price for this part as $1,326.81.
Old 10-25-08, 04:25 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Yes, that's those are the prices that my mechanic quoted me. I found a reman part for $ 400, but now I'm questioning if my problem is a rack. My car only has 114k miles on it and some folks are suggesting that that's too low of a mileage for the car to be needing a rack.

My PS steering fluid was low, but with no evidence of a leak. When I took it in to my local Toyota dealer, they diagnosed the problem as a faulty rack. I noticed a high pitched sound when making sharp turns when parking and some "looseness" when driving. None of this is occuring now since they've refilled the PS steering fluid. What are you guy's thoughts on this?

Originally Posted by CUMan
Hope you are sitting down when you see the price, assuming you need the entire rack.

Sewell shows the part number as 44250-50090.

The parts diagram and pricing are shown here:

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/***...l=209&year=157

The price shown ($1,658.51) is suggested retail.

www.lexuspartsonline.com lists their price for this part as $1,326.81.
Old 10-31-08, 11:07 AM
ACD
Driver School Candidate

Had the fluid loss, white smoke, mechanic telling me it was the rack, and today on my way to work the serp belt threw. Guessing the fluid got to the alt and killed it. Any ideas of what im going to be looking at to get fixed.
Old 11-18-08, 02:01 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ACD
Had the fluid loss, white smoke, mechanic telling me it was the rack, and today on my way to work the serp belt threw. Guessing the fluid got to the alt and killed it. Any ideas of what im going to be looking at to get fixed.

I think you only get the white smoke if its leaking internally, but it could be leaking externally as well like I think mine is. I am losing fluid, getting the white smoke and smell @ startup AND I can see fluid down under the pump.. not wet, but a lot of greasy looking stuff down there along the frame rail under the pump. Now my "brake" light has been coming on, which someone said is likely the alternator failing.

Right when I am about to give this car to my mother and spending about $400 on engine & transmission mounts and labor!
Old 11-22-08, 10:37 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

oh so, the smell at start up is also caused by the power-steering fluid leak? i was getting worried it might be something else.. i get white smoke now and then and i also get this weird smell.. and what are some signs of the alternator failing?
thanks
Old 11-22-08, 11:39 AM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Here's the deal with mine...

Mine started with a slight leak in the vacuum valve. I replaced that, only to have the pump not hold pressure.

A buddy and I ordered a rebuild kit from Lexus to rebuild the pump, however that was no help.

During this process, I guess some fluid leaked into the alternator and caused it to stop charging.

Some signs that the alternator is going (at least in my car), was every time you'd hit the break, the lights would flicker, the door locks don't work with the key out, nor does the trunk release/gas door, anything electrical.

I was able to fully charge another battery, drive it to my mechanic.

$808.36 later, they put on a new alternator, get me a new pump, and now I'm all good to go again.

EXTREMELY expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion. I even got a tiny discount as I knew the shop owners that did the work on my car.

Good luck man.
Old 12-05-08, 09:15 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by farquad
oh so, the smell at start up is also caused by the power-steering fluid leak? i was getting worried it might be something else.. i get white smoke now and then and i also get this weird smell.. and what are some signs of the alternator failing?
thanks
Yes, I occasionally get that smell as well. In warm weather its not an issue. Seems to be worse in cooler/cold weather.

As far as the alternator goes the above post sums it up some, but some report some random warning lights coming on. I currently have an occasional "brake" warning light coming on (been like that for months). Someone said this could be a sign of it, but as far as I can see, its not leaking down on my alternator... its more on the frame rail area.

Also, this morning (it was very cold, in the upper 20s) and when I started the car, the PS pump was making a dreadful growling sound until it warmed up. I checked the fluid when I got home from work and it was quite low. It has definitely got worse since last winter, but in the summer, it never seemed to leak any. These things seem to also be temperature sensative. If you live in a cold area they seem to give more problems.
Old 12-07-08, 12:13 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

Would I be correct in assuming that my pulley is wobbling on my ps pump if my fluid is full and it is still whining? The whining increases with rpms, so I'm pretty sure it is the pulley but I just wanted confirmation. Is there any way to fix this without buying a new pump (that I can't afford)? I have white smoke also, but I think that the acv is unrelated to the actual noise. Also, if anyone has a part number for the toyota acv that would be a great help.

Last edited by Ls4hundred; 12-07-08 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Error
Old 12-08-08, 09:03 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Had the air control valve issue with the funky low idle fluctuation and abnormal power steering fluid consumption with no visible puddling on garage floor. Rather than plugging or changing the valve, I just plugged the vacuum port on the intake plenum and the air intake tract. Then, I just looped the hoses together with a T piece and plugged the third nipple. Now, my idle issue is resolved and flat as a board and the at idle power steering over-boost is squelched perfectly. Steering feels more like an SC 400, now. No complaints.

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible