LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 12:27 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see you plugged it and things are much better.

No you don't have to do it the way I did it,.. There is more than one way to plug an ACV port. I just always do things with 'overkill' in mind. I tapped the acv thread and placed a screw inside it as well (which was probably enough) - - Then welded just to make sure. Was sort of I'll do this, then bah.. might as well make darn sure this is never doing to leak again.

Quite frankly the teflon isn't necessary.

Like I said before -- I believe most people with the 14x1.5 bolt do make it work. They are essentially re-tapping with the wrong thread. It works well enough to keep it from leaking, but isn't something I would do. If for some reason I ever wanted to put an ACV on there.. I can. -- Not that I ever would.
Old 03-26-08, 01:21 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by melissac
Yeah its good advice, but the 14mm x 1.5 doesn't work the only thing that works is the ACV itself. Its an automotive thread so only an automotive store would have it WWRROONNGG!! We didn't weld ours. We just found a screw with deep threads about the same length as the ACV and a metal washer and screwed it in to the cupped side of the ACV. The deep threads made their own grooves into the metal inside. Worked great. It feels really good not smoking the neighborhood up at every startup. Or leaving a puddle of fluid every time it sits a while. The power steering has never felt or sounded better. No more growling when I turn the wheel. Just glad I got to it before it messed up the altenator. Now I am in love with my baby again.
You could also use some Threadlock to make sure that sucker never leaks again.
Old 03-26-08, 02:19 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, thought about that for the threads themselves.. but the ACV was in without even so much as a gasket. So the design of the tapered threads and bevel keeps it sealed. Wouldn't hurt to put some lock-tite on it though. Just don't plan on taking it off again.

The thread-lock doesn't take care of the whole in the middle of the ACV however =)
Old 03-26-08, 03:57 PM
sc400injen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wus good yall? Alright, got a 92' sc4 and i've already, when i first got the car, replaced the alternator and P.S. pump about a year ago. it's not a daily driver so it seems to last a lil longer.

Symptoms:
Originally took back to Lexus (before warranty ran out) and they claimed it was the High Pressure Power Steering hose that was leaking.
Also thas what my new Mech. told me too, and he knows lexus.
If any white smoke, i have maybe a little every once in a while and i do mean WHILE.
But it leaks, i just have to add a lil bit every once in a while, but it is leaking over the alt. and i don't wanna have to do that ****

Preciate all the knowledge and replies, also mad props to whoever posted the P.S. pump change on a 92 sc4

Preciate it yall, any more info i'll post

-Knowledge
Old 03-26-08, 04:02 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you have it figured out. Although the SC's don't have an ACV, it is sealed from the factory as far as I know. So there should be no possibility of smoke from the PS system on the SC model.

You definitely wanna take care of that leak over the alternator though.. expensive otherwise
Old 03-27-08, 07:42 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fixed the PS for $2.27

3/4 goodyear hose.

6in piece behind bumper cover on the return line in front must have been cut by rock.
saw the leak. done.
Old 03-27-08, 08:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Good deal, cheap and easy fixes are always nice.
Old 04-01-08, 03:16 PM
sc400injen
Driver School Candidate

Hell yeah mayne, can't ask for a better fix.
Old 04-18-08, 04:37 PM
rolive2
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I am new to this forum...It looks like a GREAT resource for 1st Gen owners. I have a '91 LS 400, which I need to replace the P/S pump. I have aleady purchased the pump..but I am looking for a good DIY resource on how to remove/install. Does anyone have any advice? I found on this site good advice on how to rebuild, but I need to remove/install. Thanks
Old 04-22-08, 08:30 PM
demonboy
Driver School Candidate

This was really helpful for my since i have a high mileage car. I will probably face this problem in the future, and this information will help when I do this project on my own.
Old 04-23-08, 09:03 AM
rolive2
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I just replaced my power steering pump because I had the classic white smoke/massive leak. This replacement fixed those issues, but not my steering turns much harder. Everything looks and sounds fine..there is no noise at all. What might be the cause of this? Does it have to do with bleeding the system? (I thought I had done this adequately..but perhaps not?) Any advice? Thanks
Old 05-09-08, 10:26 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

dang!!! this was helpful too for my SC! practically same engine yes? i was wondering why there was white smoke when i started my car.. sure enough.. burning ps fluid. now that i got new parts from gazi (aliga).. no more smoke!
car still idles high though.. dont know why.

thanks!

manny
Old 06-11-08, 04:11 PM
LSBIGBODY
Driver School Candidate

Much Needed Info I Been Havin The Smokey Start Up And The Whining In The Turn Of Teh Wheel
Old 07-15-08, 03:31 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Default ps fluid leak

Hey guys, I bought my lexus barely a month ago and i've noticed the PS Fluid is leaking.. it felt really dry and was making noises so i decided to check if i needed to refill the fluid.. and sure enough, it needed to get refilled.. so i refilled it and now a couple days (maybe a week) later it's empty again.. i have noticed NO spills on the driveway.. and there has been NO white smoke at start up.. but it is leaking cause re-filling it once every week is def not normal.. so now, my question is.. what could it be.. no visible spills on the driveway, no white smoke at start up.. and it feels dry when i turn.. it feels worse right when i start the car, when backing out of my driveway.. could it be the rack and pinion? or just a leak in the reservoir
Old 08-09-08, 09:57 PM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Default 1997 Ls4

hey guys, the ps leak just killed my alt tonight on the way to work.

what gen in my 1997?? any thing special for it?? iam going to print this whole thread for my tech.

bj

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible