LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 05:20 PM
yusych
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Issue

I have a 1991 LS400 w/56K. Today i noticed that when the car is not moving i have a hard time turning the steering wheel, like i have no power steering. And i noticed before this happen that my power steering was leaking a little bit, so i would fill it a little from time time to time. So my question is what can it be, is it the power steering pump, and how can i find out what can it be that my steering wheel has a hard time turning while i am standing, but once i get it moving it's alright in turns, please help
Old 01-19-07, 07:57 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Is that a typo or do you actually have a 91LS with only 56k miles?
Old 01-19-07, 09:31 PM
yusych
Rookie

no it has exactly 56,700 on it right now
Old 01-19-07, 10:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the simple answer to why it feels lighter is that A-the engine is turning at higher than idle RPM so the PS pump is getting turned faster and B-while in motion there is less stress on the steering system, this is what makes cars without PS driveable but still painful to park.

if u dont believe me, try this-
in your driveway put the car into neutral and barely rev the motor while turning the steering lock to lock, youl notice that as you raise the engine RPM the easier it is to turn the wheel.

now, for the leak id suggest you search. depending on where/whats leaking it could be anything from a dead pump, rack, HP hose, or solenoid.

have u checked the fluid level recently? is there any white smoke on startup? what is your current warm idle speed? (drive car around 10-15mins to warm it up from a cold start)
Old 01-19-07, 11:05 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car was leaking oil, but did it very slowly. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to identify where until I sprayed the whole engine bay down with engine degreaser (fun stuff) and took off all the caked-on oil. The previous owner never bothered to do this, just kept adding fluid without identifying WHAT and WHERE the car was leaking.

Low and behold, the power steering pump line (right as it's coming out from the bottom of the reservoir) is leaking. I'm going to fix it around the same time I do a major tune-up (still saving $$$ to buy the tools and do the tune-up myself).
Old 01-20-07, 03:05 AM
dac
Driver School Candidate

it seems this was a common fault on the 1990 series 1 mine was replaced by the last owner and he changed the pump as well when all he needed to do was sort the pipe out, im thinking of designing some thing to go under the pump as a runoff for fluid so it dosnt damage the alternator which seems to be a problem also
Old 01-20-07, 09:42 PM
yusych
Rookie

Ok and the other thing that i noticed with my power steering. When i start my car when it is cold, say in the morning the power steering works good while i am in parked the steering wheel turns from left to right no problems, like it should. But when i drive it from 3-5 min it is back to the same old thing when i park it, i have a hard time turning the steering wheel like my power steering is gone, so what the heck can it be ????
Old 01-21-07, 07:22 PM
Harky
Driver School Candidate

Default Check the Rack Solenoid Screen

The solenoid is designed to vary the amount of power assist based on vehicle speed. The effort required to turn the wheels at idle or low speed is easy, however, as speed comes up, the effort increases. It's programmed that way.
If your solenoid screen is plugged (and that may be the case in a 16 year old, low milage car) the solenoid can't function, and steering effort gets screwed up. Also, if the screen is plugged, system pressures may exceed normal and result in system leaks (most likely in the hi pressure hose).
The solenoild can be removed and the screen cleaned. Also, the original (old) fluid should be flushed out andreplaced with fresh fluid (actually Dextron ATF - NOT power steering fluid).

Do a search for "steering solenoid"...there have been many threads discussing this problem and solution.
Old 04-08-07, 05:22 PM
lexold
Driver School Candidate

Replacing the Power Steering computer solved that problem on my '92 at 60k miles
Old 04-12-07, 10:38 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Harky
The solenoid is designed to vary the amount of power assist based on vehicle speed. The effort required to turn the wheels at idle or low speed is easy, however, as speed comes up, the effort increases. It's programmed that way.
If your solenoid screen is plugged (and that may be the case in a 16 year old, low milage car) the solenoid can't function, and steering effort gets screwed up. Also, if the screen is plugged, system pressures may exceed normal and result in system leaks (most likely in the hi pressure hose).
The solenoild can be removed and the screen cleaned. Also, the original (old) fluid should be flushed out andreplaced with fresh fluid (actually Dextron ATF - NOT power steering fluid).

Do a search for "steering solenoid"...there have been many threads discussing this problem and solution.
My mechanic is replacing my power steering pump today.

Should I wait to see if that fixes my power steering leak/hard to turn problem or should I have him clean the solenoid while he's in there?

Also, how much time does it take to clean the solenoid, I don't want to get raped by my personal mechanic.
Old 04-12-07, 11:23 AM
1996LS400
Driver

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
My mechanic is replacing my power steering pump today.

Should I wait to see if that fixes my power steering leak/hard to turn problem or should I have him clean the solenoid while he's in there?

Also, how much time does it take to clean the solenoid, I don't want to get raped by my personal mechanic.
I would definitely have the screen cleaned after flushing the p/s. If you can use Mobil 1 ATF Transmission Fluid (synthetic). As for the time it takes to clean the screen, I removed, cleaned and replaced mine well under an hour.
Old 04-13-07, 01:33 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996LS400
I would definitely have the screen cleaned after flushing the p/s. If you can use Mobil 1 ATF Transmission Fluid (synthetic). As for the time it takes to clean the screen, I removed, cleaned and replaced mine well under an hour.
Thank you very much. I will contact my mechanic in the morning to see if he can fit it in.
Old 11-14-09, 08:21 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power steering computer?