LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Staggered wheel/tire fitment help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 04:33 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Staggered wheel/tire fitment help!

I'm thinking of going to an 18" staggered setup, but was concerned about proper offsets.

Will a 18x9 wheel with 38 offset wrapped in 255/35/18 cause rubbing of the fenders in the rear? This will be in a lowered 1st GEN LS400.

And for overall setup, I was thinking 18x8 (38 offset) wrapped in 235/40-18 in the front.
Old 01-18-07, 07:05 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a second gen LS with:
18 x 8.5 245/40/18 - 35mm offset front - no spacers
18 x 9.5 275/35/18 - 35mm offset rear - no spacers

I had to trim my fender wells at a local paint shop rather than rolling them. This allowed the tires to not rub - they would have otherwise. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-19-07, 10:58 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Steveski:

How much additional clearance was necessary in order to clear your rear tires?
(how close were you)

Also, how much speedometer error do you have running that size rear tire?

Thanks!

ps--any links to pics of your car?
Old 01-19-07, 11:02 AM
uscelsior
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitment ?.........

i found some rims with the same exact specs as yours....35mm off set staggart 18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear......how low did you drop the car .....do you have another pic of the car i can look at and you said something about trimming the finder wells.......the metal part or the undersiding....

Last edited by uscelsior; 01-19-07 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-19-07, 05:01 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by akxx

Will a 18x9 wheel with 38 offset wrapped in 255/35/18 cause rubbing of the fenders in the rear? This will be in a lowered 1st GEN LS400.
No, it will not.
Old 01-19-07, 06:53 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Steveski:

(how close were you)

Thanks!

If I did not trim the underside of the rear fender, the sidewall of the tire would have hit and damaged the tire/fender. The LS has a piece of trim that screws to the fenders on the second gen as you know (plastic coated aluminum). I completely removed those pieces and trimmed the top of the fender (I will post pics) maybe 3/8" just at the top where the tire tucks into the fender. I would have rolled the fenders but nobody in Houston would do it. That's why I had the fenders cut. The front I trimmed only 1/8".

I have 4MPH error with the 35 series tires. I can live with that with the staggered look.
Old 01-19-07, 07:08 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uscelsior
i found some rims with the same exact specs as yours....35mm off set staggart 18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear......how low did you drop the car .....do you have another pic of the car i can look at and you said something about trimming the finder wells.......the metal part or the undersiding....
My H&R springs initially dropped the car 1". My Bilstein HD struts have two spring perch settings. Mine are set the bottom one (the lowest). That gave me about another inch drop. I am guessing I have about a 2" total drop from stock. I have about 1/2 to 1 finger between tire and fender (both front and back). Remember I have 40's up front and 35's on the back.

I took the trim completely off the fenders underside and trimmed the actual fender lip rather than getting them rolled. Take a look at the attached photo - look closely to see what I mean. You'll see the top has been trimmed so that when the rear drops the tires tuck under the fender. When it is tucked under there is about 1/8" clearance between the tire and fender.

Hope this helps. This link should take you to my gallery. I will post new pics of the look at the lowest perch setting this weekend. The shots I have are at the top setting with a 1" drop from stock.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...0&ppuser=40646
Attached Thumbnails Staggered wheel/tire fitment help!-rear-fender-well-showing-where-it-cut.jpg  
Old 01-19-07, 07:35 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Steveski:

(how close were you)

Thanks!

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...0&ppuser=40646

The pics I have show the H&R springs and Bilstein HD struts set at the top spring perch setting. I got a 1" drop from stock with this setup. Since then I moved the spring perches to the lowest setting which gave me about another inch (now 2" total drop from stock). I will post more pics this weekend (before and after).
Old 01-19-07, 07:42 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
No, it will not.
Simple, yet clear answer!
How about 275s in the rear on the 18x9 with 38mm offset?
(I'm concerned about there not being enough offset to compensate for the wider wheel/tire combo).
Old 01-19-07, 07:46 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Steveski:

Your car looks awesome! Great job on the simple, subtle, yet totally transforming touches.

Since my car is a 1990, it doesn't have the plastic "inner" fender trim piece--it's just bare metal in the rear. Should make shaving a simple job.

However, EXE.UCF10 makes is sound like even the shaving won't be necessary.
Old 01-19-07, 07:48 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Steveski: what wheels are those?

Also, how would you characterize the individual changes to handling/ride provides by 1) strut bar 2) sway bar?
Old 01-19-07, 07:52 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Steveski:

Your car looks awesome! Great job on the simple, subtle, yet totally transforming touches.

Since my car is a 1990, it doesn't have the plastic "inner" fender trim piece--it's just bare metal in the rear. Should make shaving a simple job.

However, EXE.UCF10 makes is sound like even the shaving won't be necessary.
Thanks - it is a work in progress. Hopefully you won't have to shave/cut anything. The body shop used an air saw and it took just a few minutes. You can load the trunk with three friends to see how it squats - then you'll know for sure if you need to cut the fenders.
Old 01-19-07, 08:01 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Steveski: what wheels are those?

Also, how would you characterize the individual changes to handling/ride provides by 1) strut bar 2) sway bar?
They are Ruff Racing (made by Status I think). They are inexpensive and the quality is pretty good. I bought them in Miami. They are pretty well distributed now.

The handling is 500% better than before IMO. It is nothing like it was when I bought it 10 years ago. Gone is the boat like ride. I was going to sell it but decided to rebirth it instead - make it a one off. The Tom's strut bar removed front end flex and stabilized the turning, etc. The sway bar is on its way and should do the same for the rear. These upgrades did not affect ride quality but rather made it better for my taste. My goal was to make my LS drive like a sports sedan and it is there brother
Old 01-19-07, 08:26 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Steveski: I'm assuming the sway bar will help reduce understeer--especially with the staggered setup that amplifies the understeer. Let us know how it transforms your car at cornering limits! Are you experiencing severe understeer now?

Was the strut brace a simple bolt on, or was there drilling required?

Last edited by akxx; 01-19-07 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-19-07, 09:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

strut tower braces are pretty idiot proof. remove 3 strut mount nuts on each stde, put strut brace on the studs, bolt down nuts and torque to spec.

if its a multi piece bar u should add an extra step in jacking the front of the car up so the wheeels are off the ground and tightening up the bar as much as you can to put some preload into it.

Quick Reply: Staggered wheel/tire fitment help!