LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 Jerks, Misfire Code 300, 302, 307 - Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 12:48 PM
ElAudtr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS400 Jerks, Misfire Code 300, 302, 307 - Check Engine Light - PROBLEM SOLVED

I bought this LS400 from my old boss during September 2006. The car has not been driven much since then.

The 1995 LS, with 154,000 miles, jerks a bit and the check engine light (CEL) came on. The light blinked first then stayed on. When I give it gas, the CEL light blinks again. The car appears to have lost some of its power when driving, but revs strong while in (P) park.

This all happened the day after I replaced the cabin filter, air filter, and serpentine belt. I used Toyota parts ordered from irontoad.com. I also power washed the engine bay about 3 months ago, but I have only driven 100 miles since then. No problems were noted after the power wash. The car has been stored outdoors in Southern California weather (mild).

I checked the codes at AutoZone. I now know that code PO300 means misfire. Code PO302 and PO307 mean misfires at piston 2 and 7, respectively.

What went wrong?

What caused this misfire?

How do I fix it?

Please help. Thank you.

Last edited by ElAudtr; 02-08-07 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Solved Problem
Old 01-18-07, 02:06 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you bumped the spark plug wire at a coil or you jostled a connection at a coil or something
Old 01-20-07, 05:30 PM
ElAudtr
Driver School Candidate

Default misfire

I did check the coil connections. Both the air filter and serpentine belt are easy to change and I was careful. I also re-checked what else I may have bumped, but not much is there.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-21-07, 01:14 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default misfire

Conside that you have a failed coil or igniter. You need somthing in common with 2 plugs and they are it. The 300 code may be turned on when more than 2 plugs show misfire. Aren't the two plugs you called out both common to one coil and igniter module?

Hope this helps.

John

I am not here often so gime me a pm if you think I might be of some help.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-07, 02:00 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default misfire

El,

The bad news is that 2 and 7 are on different distributors. You are looking for somthing in common with both. That would be the ignition switch, ith ignition relay and the ECM. The inputs to the ECM hsave their own code so I would think they are OK. The switch and relay can only fail by providing low voltage. Check the voltage at either igniter module to verify that the ig sw and ig relay are ok. Should be 12.5 to 13.5 volts.

Good hunting and good luck

John
Old 01-21-07, 07:07 PM
Harky
Driver School Candidate

Default Check the plug gaps

If the plugs have not been checked out in a while, it's possible that they are borderline wide on gap. This happened to mine...misfire code. I check plug gaps and they were too wide. Reset gaps and no more code. A simple fix.
It may just be coincidence that these codes came up after your recent repairs.
Old 02-08-07, 10:31 AM
ElAudtr
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem Solved

Thanks for all your suggestions.

The problem was bad (old originals) spark plug wires. I had to take it in, because I was too busy with my other projects and I got really sick (in hospital for 3 days). I mostly work on classic cars, which have much less electronic stuff.

The shop known as Toyota Lexus Care (TLC) in San Diego looked it over. $80 to tell me what was wrong and that money would go towards any repair. The immediately asked if I had the engine detailed. The answer was yes.

$135 for the OEM wires and $120 for labor (1.50 hours of labor). I was told by them that some wires' life span run over 200,000 miles. I guess I had bad luck. They also replaced one plug that had signs of water around it. They said it was probably from the engine cleaning that I did several months ago. The changed that one plug for free.

The car runs strong and no check engine light has come on. This car is for my Dad and he will be driving 500 miles up to northern CA this coming weekend. Wish us luck. Thank you.
Old 02-08-07, 10:45 AM
utexas112
Rookie

Good luck, I think I was at TLC when you brought your car in.

Is it a 1st gen blue/tan in really nice shape?

I had just purchased a '95 with 152k and they were looking it over. Its actually going back there today for a few more items.
Old 02-08-07, 05:42 PM
ElAudtr
Driver School Candidate

Default I was at TLC.

That was me at TLC, my name is Sergio. Small world. The LS does have a blue exterior with tan interior. The car came from my friend (second owner) who bought it from our old boss, first owner. The car was always garaged; day and night. I believe 1995 is the first year of the second generation.

I also drive a black on black IS300 (2001) with some modifications:
19" wheels
L-Tuned exhaust
Plasma Booster for ignition
Eibach coils
TRD Race sway bars
PLP front strut brace
All glass tinted 50%
12" sub in custom enclosure, in spare rim
monitor in passenger sunvisor
PS2 in glove box
Custom black tail lights