LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS-400 Top Speed? (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 05:55 PM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what's worse...going 151MPH on a public road, or taking pictures on a cell phone at 151MPH. I believe that common sense didn't follow in your bloodline. Sir you earn the dumbass award, please claim your prize at the customer service counter at Walmart.
Old 01-15-07, 05:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tirefire
I don't know what's worse...going 151MPH on a public road, or taking pictures on a cell phone at 151MPH. I believe that common sense didn't follow in your bloodline. Sir you earn the dumbass award, please claim your prize at the customer service counter at Walmart.
on the right road it doesnt really matter, since if anything happened it would only happen to him. im pretty sure that you cant really say it was a stupid idea unless u know the condition of the road and the area he did it in.

video still doesnt work o.O
Old 01-15-07, 06:03 PM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
on the right road it doesnt really matter, since if anything happened it would only happen to him. im pretty sure that you cant really say it was a stupid idea unless u know the condition of the road and the area he did it in.

video still doesnt work o.O

Understandably so. On a public road you always have the "what if" issue. We all know that doing 151MPH on a public road of any type is foolish and should not be shown with positive attention. Not only does CL serve as a great resource for info, but it does provide teenagers and younger people with ideas and fantasies about how fast they can really go in their parents Lexus. Let's just agree that this was not a smart move and no justification would of made this action safe unless it was on a closed course. Court dismissed.
Old 01-15-07, 06:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

We don’t insult each other here, you could have proved your point differently.

EDIT: This goes for everyone as well.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 01-15-07 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 06:33 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Understandably so. On a public road you always have the "what if" issue. We all know that doing 151MPH on a public road of any type is foolish and should not be shown with positive attention. Not only does CL serve as a great resource for info, but it does provide teenagers and younger people with ideas and fantasies about how fast they can really go in their parents Lexus. Let's just agree that this was not a smart move and no justification would of made this action safe unless it was on a closed course. Court dismissed.
OK,ok, you made our point and I am sure that he understands that doing that kind of speed on a public roadway is not only an uncool move but very dangerous as well. No one here is rewarding his actions with positive energy b/c yes it was a dangerous move; he was complimented on the fact that he actually pushed his car harder than most of us, tho he could have found a better venue to do so. I do not promote what he did, but I am slightly(and i use that word lightly) relieved that he carefully selected a road which was unpopulated to pull this stunt. Yes it could have been your son or my daughter out there with him,, and yes the "what if" factor does apply here. Bottom line is the "what if" factor applies to each and every one of us every time we get behind the wheel and turn the key!! Seeing that you are new to the forums, I am not trying to admoinish your comments, but please try to refrain from name calling here on the open forums as the tolerance level is minimal, this is what the private message feature is for. People being influenced is an everyday part of life whether here (CL) or in your daily interactions. It is ultimately the responsibility of the person behind the wheel to make a decision which is not only sound, but RESPONSIBLE. Thank you.
Old 01-15-07, 06:53 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome work I wonder how fast the 95-97 can go? Probably almost as fast... I hope I know my turbo Supra will definitely go at least 165mph, but I'm too chicken**** to drive it past 90mph
Old 01-15-07, 07:21 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Not to dump on anyone, but I agree with 2tirefire. The place for that sort of speed is a racetrack and not a public highway no matter how isolated.
Old 01-15-07, 07:21 PM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trukn1
OK,ok, you made our point and I am sure that he understands that doing that kind of speed on a public roadway is not only an uncool move but very dangerous as well. No one here is rewarding his actions with positive energy b/c yes it was a dangerous move; he was complimented on the fact that he actually pushed his car harder than most of us, tho he could have found a better venue to do so. I do not promote what he did, but I am slightly(and i use that word lightly) relieved that he carefully selected a road which was unpopulated to pull this stunt. Yes it could have been your son or my daughter out there with him,, and yes the "what if" factor does apply here. Bottom line is the "what if" factor applies to each and every one of us every time we get behind the wheel and turn the key!! Seeing that you are new to the forums, I am not trying to admoinish your comments, but please try to refrain from name calling here on the open forums as the tolerance level is minimal, this is what the private message feature is for. People being influenced is an everyday part of life whether here (CL) or in your daily interactions. It is ultimately the responsibility of the person behind the wheel to make a decision which is not only sound, but RESPONSIBLE. Thank you.
Point taken. Thanks for an educated response, much appreciated.
Old 01-15-07, 07:23 PM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Awesome work I wonder how fast the 95-97 can go? Probably almost as fast... I hope I know my turbo Supra will definitely go at least 165mph, but I'm too chicken**** to drive it past 90mph

This is what I am generally concerned with. I know that he has posted that he is a responsible driver and is to chicken to go above 90MPH, so that is good, but comments like this I see on many forums, and only occasionaly do they end up concluding in an accident, but occasionaly is a bit too much.

*stepping off soapbox*

Also apologies for any insults that I may have posted to the person who started this thread. Words can be typed faster than my brain can think at points. I apologize in advance if any offense was taken.
Old 01-15-07, 08:35 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I really miss the big gauges of the 95-00 LS. My fuel gauge is much smaller on the GS
Old 01-15-07, 08:44 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm surprised no one commented on the fact that he only had one hand on the wheel (and possibly only one eye on the road) because one hand was holding the cell phone camera and one eye was lining up the picture (unless he had a passenger with him).
Old 01-15-07, 09:07 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may have been foolish, but if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all...yeah I sound like Grandma right now, but she's right. He's got some guts though. He's in Florida guys, most of the highways are deserted during the day this time of year. I'm sure he wasnt passing people at that speed.
Old 01-15-07, 09:14 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW! what was that speed like? I remember on a trip to florida there were deserted straight highways for miles! I wish it was like that in GA. Too many people EVERYWHERE.

I would never take my old cars that fast. My cars are far from mint but 90 feels pretty secure. I need new tires. I think i'm gonna get some kuhmo solus. Pretty cheap and they have good tire rack ratings.
Old 01-16-07, 08:39 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the sarcasm. But the MODs are correct in their point.

- ONE THING I'D LIKE TO EMPHASIZE -

Doing anything over 100 on any HWY is stupid. Minor Potholes and bumps can become launching pads for disaster. (not figuratively saying this either)
I hate NASCAR but you guys should pay attention to the races every once and a while ...
They'll stick the camera underneath the Fender and you'll see the suspension bounce as if it were on a Dakkar rally car/truck.

Oh and Nice info about the fuel cut-off though.
Old 01-16-07, 08:40 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey All

Ok first off, no insult was taken from the comments. I figured someone would comment negative to the post. If you read my post carefully I did not say who was driving my LS or who took the pictures and even if the driver took the pictures. The last thing I would do is on a Public forum incriminate anyone or myself with pictured proof. The point of the post is to show you all who have wondered what is the official Top Speed of our cars is.

I will say this the cars was very stable at 151mph. You just felt a slight nudge when the the fuel cut off kicked in and out. It was not any harder driving at 151 than it was at 85 except you would never dare take a turn at 151mph. Being it was a clear day and the was no trffic and the road was flat, there was no danger of driving and taking a picture. Is it risky yes, but again no one outside of the LS was in ANY danger at ANY time.

It took about 30sec to get from 80 to 140. From 140 to 145 it took about 12 seconds but to get to 151 took another 12 seconds. Now these are toally rough estimates. On the video you can see the run from 80 to 140 takes about 30 seconds. The point is from 140 to 151 felt like it took forever compared to getting to 140. At 140 the car felt a little floaty but once it broke 145 it just hunkered down and drove smooth as could be. I have read that the European LS have no speed limiter and can do 160mph plus. I will say this I dont think a stock US LS400 should go over 150mph with out a stiffer sport suspension.

Also Please understand this post IS NOT intended for people to try this especially teenagers. I am not condoning or praising speeding or braking any laws. I would never recommend anyone trying something like this. At the same time like I said my car is maintained in Perfect Tip Top condition. It has new Bridgestone ER33/OEM Z rated tires filled with Nitrogen. It also has all new Lexus shocks, bushings and all the needed suspension peices maintaind. The road condition was perfectly flat and straight for the most part. Two lanes in each direction with a large metal railed median in between. No traffic in either direction, and was a clear sunny day. As you read it took a couple of try because when traffic did appear from any direction or a slight turn was coming the speed run was stopped.

Jerry

Last edited by Horta; 01-16-07 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: LS-400 Top Speed? (The Mother Thread)