LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just Installed SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 01:39 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just Installed SS Brake Lines

Well, I just finished the installation and took her for a drive! The job took me about 4 hours total... I hate how everytime I take something apart in my car, I get all sorts of nuts and bolts that won't come loose, get unthreaded, snap in half and get stuck, or are torqued so tightly I can't get them off without ripping the thread to pieces.

I'm covered in brake fluid right now. First impressions: it wasn't as amazing of a feeling as I expected. Maybe my expectations were too high, because everything I read said it was an AMAZING mod. It has certainly increased my brake response. I flushed my entire system with new fluid, which probably has not been done in atleast 100K miles. My brake pedal is now a lot softer, and when I'm slowly rolling to a stop, I often feel like I'm not even pressing the pedal, and all of a sudden the car jerks forward becuase I've stopped and I didn't expect it.

Making emergency like stops shows that the brakes respond instantly. Before when I slammed the brakes the car would start to slow down, and then it would really kick in and come to a halt. Now that feeling is just instant. I step on the brakes and I'm thrown forward in my seat.

At stop signs I can just barely tap the pedal and the car comes to a stop. I like that feeling.

I'm glad I did the mod. I think all together it cost me $200. It was about $130 for the lines with tax and shipping, and I bought atlest $25 worth of brake fluid, plus a bunch of random wrenches that I didn't have, and some other tools.

It's certainly an improvement. Just not as dramatic as I had expected, or read by other users. Perhaps the feeling will change over time.

I'm just hoping I don't have any leaks. Going to garage the car tonight and inspect it again tomorrow.
Old 01-10-07, 11:00 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I plan to do this with my GS in the newr future. Now I know what to expect, thanks again
Old 01-10-07, 01:38 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Seize
Thanks for the write-up. I plan to do this with my GS in the newr future. Now I know what to expect, thanks again

Hey no Prob. Hey Seize how do you always find yourself in the LS section even though you have a GS? And you always have good things to say about my mods Hope you and your family are doing well.. I was really sorry to hear about your grandmother. Good luck with the SS lines. Hopefully you wont run into as many stubborn bolts as I did. I used this tutorial which helped, but the processes is pretty much self explanatory and should be the same for the GS:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/SSbrakelines.html
Old 01-11-07, 02:15 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
Hey no Prob. Hey Seize how do you always find yourself in the LS section even though you have a GS? And you always have good things to say about my mods Hope you and your family are doing well.. I was really sorry to hear about your grandmother. Good luck with the SS lines. Hopefully you wont run into as many stubborn bolts as I did. I used this tutorial which helped, but the processes is pretty much self explanatory and should be the same for the GS:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/SSbrakelines.html
Well, I've had my eye on the LS for quite some time now. I think somewhere down the road, I'd like to purchase a 98 -2000. So, that's the reason I come in here form time to time. It gives me a heads up on things.

I wouldn't mind having something like this

Old 01-11-07, 02:36 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've used them before (have them on both of my trucks and one turbo BMW) and only thing I've noticed is a firm pedal. It is good and the lines can't crank over time again.

What's the cost of the OE rubber lines? I need some for mine.
Old 01-12-07, 09:55 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

After a day or two of using them, I've noticed a few things. Stopping distance is definitely reduced, because you step on the pedal softly not expecting the car to brake as hard as it does, and before you know it, you are stopped.

Secondly.. my ABS works a lot better now. Before I was afraid my ABS wasn't even working. I don't remember it ever activating in the last couple of years. With these lines in I managed to get the ABS to kick in on some hard stops. That may also have something to do with the terrible condition of my brake fluid before... it looked like beer froth at times when I flushed it.

Hit man.. not sure how much the rubber lines cost. Call Carson Toyota in Carson, CA, they always have the best prices. But why get rubber lines, when these SS lines can be had for like $130 shipped? The rubber lines will cost atleast half that.
Old 01-12-07, 10:50 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a Goodridge SS kit off HRP racing, but I noticed that the kit I received describes different years 8/92-9/94 LS400. My LS400 was made in 1/92...The part number of the kit I received is 21012...can anyone confirm for me that this is or isn't for my car?

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
Old 01-13-07, 01:23 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

What is strange is that their website lists the same part number for the 89-92 model and the 93-94 model. Is your car a 92 model year? I'm not sure what month the cutof was there. If your car is a 93, you got the right part. But its strange that they list the same part # for both models. The calipers for the 93LS are slightly different.

I think you'll still be OK. I followed a tutorial from someone's 91 LS, and the installation process was identical. By that I mean all the bolts were the same size as mentioned in the tutorial, etc. I used all the same wrenches.
Old 01-13-07, 11:53 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

I've looked at other sites, they reference the kit no. 21011for the 89-7/92 production models, while the kit no. 21012 is for 8/92-94.

Being my car was made 1/92, I think I'm in trouble. I'm going to give HRP a call on Monday.

Last edited by avalon42; 01-15-07 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-14-07, 06:32 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Suneet
Hit man.. not sure how much the rubber lines cost. Call Carson Toyota in Carson, CA, they always have the best prices. But why get rubber lines, when these SS lines can be had for like $130 shipped? The rubber lines will cost atleast half that.

Most rubber ones at cost are $5-8/ea. They're cheap and easy to get in a pinch.

I'll have to look it up and try to report back. Car needs new rotors, calipers, and front O2s.
Old 01-15-07, 11:03 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Default Differences in Goodridge SS Lines for 90-94 LS400...

Originally Posted by avalon42
I've looked at other sites, they reference the kit no. 21011for the 89-7/92 production models, while the kit no. 21012 is for 8/92-94.

Being my car was made 1/92, I think I'm in trouble. I'm going to give HRP a call on Monday.
I gave Goodridge a call today, they said there were two main differences in the kits:

Goodridge G-Stop SS Kit No. 21011 LS400 Production Models (89-7/92) vs.
Goodridge G-Stop SS Kit No. 21012 LS400 Production Models (8/92-94)

*The lengths on front and rear lines are different between the years.
*Also, the rears on the 21011 kit is made for female couplings, while, the 21012 kit has banjo-style coupling for the rear.

-avalon42
Old 01-15-07, 06:55 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Most rubber ones at cost are $5-8/ea.
AT COST. How can one go about getting cost price? MSRP is $45 EACH for the fronts, $40 EACH for the rears.
Old 01-15-07, 06:57 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thermactor
AT COST. How can one go about getting cost price?

I have multiple wholesale accts... IMC, SSF, Shoreline (before they went under), not to mention at the local dealers. I don't pay retail.
Old 01-15-07, 07:16 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's your cost on a front oxygen sensor?
Old 01-15-07, 08:55 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thermactor
what's your cost on a front oxygen sensor?

$46.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Quick Reply: Just Installed SS Brake Lines