LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shock-absorber problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 12:11 PM
possiccama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock-absorber problem ??

I drive a Lexus LS400 (1991) for almost 3 years with 260.000 km. This car has a leather interior and air suspension; colour Arden Green.

I have got an intermittent problem with the rear shock-absorbers, perhaps it is an interaction between the air-suspension and the rear shock-absorbers. Occasional the back end of the car stands very high and when driving it feels like the car jumps a little bit. After a while the situation gets back to normal. It occurs once or twice a week. I have no idea of the occasional cause.

I have visit 2 Lexus-dealer, one of them suggested that the shock-absorbers were wornout, so i should replace them; cost about $ 1500. (3400 dutch guilders). The other dealer suggested that the electronic control-system is a little bit slow, this is a known problem (?) and if it doesn't occurs often, they suggest to leave it that way.

Are you familiar with this problem or do you have any suggestion to find out what the exact problem is ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Pos Siccama