LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

instaling a sub in a 1994 LS 400 with factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 10:10 PM
jmannewitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instaling a sub in a 1994 LS 400 with factory radio

I have a 1994 LS 400 with a factory radio. I have just gone through and raplaced all 4 door speakers with some eclipse 4". I now want to install a 10" kicker in the trunk with me 1000 watt amp. I have instlled the wires to the battery, my ground, the wires to the back of the radio and also the control wire to the radio. My problem is, 1st this is my first amp install, 2nd there is already a lexus amp installed, 3rd how to i get radio signal to my amp?, what wries do I connect to and so I do it at the radio or do i cut something going to the amp to bypass the existing factory sub? help!
Old 12-04-06, 03:53 PM
deelite_00
Driver School Candidate

ONe way you can do is to get a signal converter. They sell them at radioshack for like $10 i think. Basically you just connect a + and - on the factory woofer and then the signal will go to the converter and convert it to the rca (there are two sets of rca on the converter) format which then you can plug it into your amp. You only need to use one side of the converter since it has two channels. you can adjust the converter to get more or less signal from the woofer. hope this helps..
Old 12-04-06, 05:44 PM
jmannewitz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deelite_00
ONe way you can do is to get a signal converter. They sell them at radioshack for like $10 i think. Basically you just connect a + and - on the factory woofer and then the signal will go to the converter and convert it to the rca (there are two sets of rca on the converter) format which then you can plug it into your amp. You only need to use one side of the converter since it has two channels. you can adjust the converter to get more or less signal from the woofer. hope this helps..
thanks for the advice. I will have to get that piece as soon as possible. I am getting a little tired of not having alittle bass in the car.
Old 12-04-06, 08:33 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a similar setup, amp and subs to stock radio. Had mine done at circuit city and they just taped into the stock stereo, so essentially I am running my stock 10" sub in the deck and 2 12's in the trunk. I would also advise you to get a capacitor. This will save the battery from draining while you are bumpin. Only have 1 pic, taken with crappy camera phone at time of install,
Attached Thumbnails instaling a sub in a 1994 LS 400 with factory radio-2.jpg  
Old 12-07-06, 08:50 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

i know this thread is a little old.. but i wanted to see if anyone can clarify the 2nd post.

do you send the wire coming from the stock subwoofer to the line converter? (utilizing both the stock sub as well as the aftermarket sub in the trunk? or do you leave it unplugged from the stock subwoofer? also, would sending a signal from the deticated stock amp to an aftermarket amp affect audio signal issues?
Old 12-08-06, 01:03 PM
deelite_00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chubby
i know this thread is a little old.. but i wanted to see if anyone can clarify the 2nd post.

do you send the wire coming from the stock subwoofer to the line converter? (utilizing both the stock sub as well as the aftermarket sub in the trunk? or do you leave it unplugged from the stock subwoofer? also, would sending a signal from the deticated stock amp to an aftermarket amp affect audio signal issues?

The converter has four sets of wire. On one side there are 2 RCAs and on the other are the wires that will go to the speaker. Its basically a two channel converter but you will only be using one since you are connecting the subwoofer. You will nto be disconnecting the stock woofer. You will just connect the converter wires to it so you can share signals. Hence you will be utilizing both woofers unless you dont want to use the stock and just cut the wires and just connect it to the converter. It would not effect the audio signal if you get it from the stock amp. It is just a signal so nothing will change. The stock woofer will not sound as loud since your sharing signal but its ok since you have an aftermarket one. Hope this clarifies things...