LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering and Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 11:17 AM
mattward70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering and Transmission Question

Hey Guys,

Bought my 95 LS about 6 months ago and loved it. Got it from a dealer auction for $5,800 with 130k miles on it (black on black) and took it right to our reliable indie and got timing belt, plugs, water pump replaced for about 750 more. Since then I haven't put a dime into it until today.

Today I spent $113. To preface, my power steering was acting up. When I turned it it made a terrible grinding sound. I thought the pump was on its last limb. We took it to our guy and he checked it, cleaned the screen he says asked for $40 and it turns with the slightest touch of my pinky now! I am so happy... We then took it to the tire place, got a leak fixed because the psi kept falling to 20, then to the gas station and put 20 gallons in it, then the car wash....and there is the $113....couldn't be happier. But here are the problems...

1. Our mechanic said there is a TINY leak in the PS pump...but said just to keep a bottle of ATF with me and fill it up, but I shouldn't need to for "months" and he said I shouldnt replace anything because it is so small. The question is... can this small leak damage any other parts of the car, such as the alternator??? What kind of cost am I looking at for a new pump if I decide to just play it safe? I really trust our mechanic though, we've used him for years and he has never burned us.

2. When the car is cold and I turn it on, i start backing up sometimes it pops into neutral for like...5 seconds, then back into reverse. Is there anything I can do to prevent the transmission from failing completely one day? I think I should change the transmission fluid, but could it be something else? The color of the fluid is a red brown, almost dirty color. The follow question is to just change the fluid or flush it? I have heard horror stories of flushing it....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, this forum is awesome and I love my fun car.

Matt
Old 11-25-06, 12:49 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus offers a rebuild/reseal kit for the PS pump. It is a fairly simple process to remove and reseal pump. Cant remember exactly but I think kit list for approx. $50.00 I would recommend replace or reseal as it can and will damage alternator eventually. Repair time is minimal of about 1 1/2 hour.
Old 11-25-06, 02:37 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mattward70

2. When the car is cold and I turn it on, i start backing up sometimes it pops into neutral for like...5 seconds, then back into reverse. Is there anything I can do to prevent the transmission from failing completely one day? I think I should change the transmission fluid, but could it be something else? The color of the fluid is a red brown, almost dirty color. The follow question is to just change the fluid or flush it? I have heard horror stories of flushing it....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, this forum is awesome and I love my fun car.

Matt
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to CL!!

Usually, the problem above is solved by changing out the tranny fluid. I would suggest you do 3, or 4 drain, and refills. I've heard lots of problems with complete flushes (esp after 100K).
Old 11-25-06, 02:46 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to CL!!

Usually, the problem above is solved by changing out the tranny fluid. I would suggest you do 3, or 4 drain, and refills. I've heard lots of problems with complete flushes (esp after 100K).
Welcome to CL. FYI, I had my tranny flushed last weekend and it cost me $75 at Shell. They were asking $100 but took the lower price. I decided to do this rather than drain the pan every weekend until I used an entire case of Toytoa ATF. Just a note on fluid - many shops will offer ATF options (fluid) rather than Toyota Type IV. Although it may work as well, I have never used anything other than Toyota fluids (ATF and radiator coolant) and after 165K miles it still drives like new.

Ditto on the alternator acting up if prolonged fluid leaks on it - it is not worth the chance of killing the alternator.
Old 11-26-06, 06:27 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to piggie bag of this thread, my steering pump may be acting up too. I'd say at least once a day, when I turn the wheel, theres this vibrating sound. Not very loud or hard, but enough to make me want to know exactly what it is so I can get it fixed. I really haven't had much time for cars, since I moved to AZ, but hopefully once I get settled in a few weeks I can solve this problem. In the mean time, can someone tell me what exactly it could be?

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 11-27-06, 05:36 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
to piggie bag of this thread, my steering pump may be acting up too. I'd say at least once a day, when I turn the wheel, theres this vibrating sound. Not very loud or hard, but enough to make me want to know exactly what it is so I can get it fixed. I really haven't had much time for cars, since I moved to AZ, but hopefully once I get settled in a few weeks I can solve this problem. In the mean time, can someone tell me what exactly it could be?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your power steering fluid could be low.......? It's real easy to check the stick ~ your manual shows the location and a drawing. When mine was low and leaking it was easy to tell since it drips on the alternator and then on my garage floor