LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New owner of UCF10, searched; but still have some questions...

Old 11-05-06, 09:00 PM
AoyamaJPN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New owner of UCF10, searched; but still have some questions...

I just picked up a 92 with 89k for $7k. It does not have air sus or trac. control. I did some searches but cannot find if this car has LSD.

The only coilover set I could find were K-sport, but it says for 95-00, will this fit? If not, what does fit and where can I get it?

The car is not very stable at high speeds and it feels like the shocks are gone. I am thinking either to buy Tokico`s and put some H&R sports while I am at it, or get coilovers. any suggestions?

The car had timming belt/wp, rear diff, and also trans. service at around 80k. I saw it also got plugs and wires around that time. I am going to get an airfilter, anything else I should do?

The car also shows the radiator light at startup, but goes away after a few min. of driving. is that normal?

The powersteering whines a bit when turning hard, and sometimes it gets loud but is inconsistant. any ideas on where to start?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-06, 09:34 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You said the magic words, you did put some effort in & searched first.

1) Don't believe that any LS has a Limited Slip differential but can't say that I am positive. I think the SC crowd uses Supra LSD's for this mod.

2) UCF-20 Suspension parts from 95+ cars are not compatible with your UCF-10

3) You seem more than willing to depart from the original ride characterisitics of an LS so I am guessing you are fairly young?? I do think that there have been other coil over options in the past but have never gone down that path.
I would go coil overs or stick with stock. LS suspensions are somewhat finicky to the mix & match scenario.

4) This was a very well maintained vehicle if all facts are true. I would clean out the solenoid screen on the PS system & flush the fluid then enjoy my new ride!!

This look to be an excellent deal I would say.

Last edited by damon; 11-05-06 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 09:36 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no lsd in the LS. the radiator light is activated by the low coolant level sensor. after driving a bit, the coolant warms up, expands, and untriggers the level sensor. check the level on the reservoir at cold temp and top off to the appropriate "cold" mark. it's a common gen I (90-94) LS problem for the reservoir tank to leak near the coolant sensor.
Old 11-05-06, 10:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1- There is NO LSD on the LS400 no matter what year, it was not an option and as far as i know theres no "bolt on" LSD although im planning on experimenting w/a full pumpkin swap w/an RMM unit.

2- the only "proven" coilovers for the first gen cars are generic and imported from japan and MAYBE the JIC SF-1s. Wald and JP also make them but its rare and $$$y.

3- Probably your best bet is KYB shocks and H&R/Eibach (if u can find them)/Tanabe springs.

4- oil change?

5- Add more fluid and search, there was a thread not long ago on it.

6- add more fluid and find out if u have a leak. use only Dexron ATF fluid. NOT "Power Steering" fluid.
Old 11-05-06, 10:15 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AoyamaJPN
what does fit and where can I get it?
jic makes coilovers for our first gens (in usa), google them. if not then youll have to import or get an air setup
Old 11-05-06, 11:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to CL.

The struts for the 95-00 are longer and as far as what I saw of the Tein CS, these cannot be cranked low enough to install properly. This had been tried.

Koni used to have struts available for this year but I dunno about today. KYB GR2 is readily available as are the Tokico Blue HD's. Springs, Cal Custom seems to be common and Tanabe does have an offering to look into. There is a pic of one LS on their springs which was posted recently. Search for "Tanabe" in this section.

Your other suspension option is air bags. The rest will likely have to be imported from Japan. Check with Carson Toyota about what they can get.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php?id=2
Old 11-06-06, 12:37 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lsd

Fairly certain that a unit from a Supra Non-Turbo JZA80 is swappable.

Our more aggressive Aussie Modders is where I would search for that info.
Old 11-06-06, 06:26 AM
theschoens
Driver School Candidate

1) stability-if shocks don't fix problem, consider front lower ball joints and front outer tie rods. I went to 4 shops total, 2 said I needed lower ball joints, 2 said I didn't. Finally replaced them and it was a huge difference. The old lower ball joints had lots of play when removed. Felt vastly different from the new ones. The Lexus dealer diagnosed correctly, as did an independent shop. Midas was wrong, so was Jiffy Lube. To test you have to apply upward pressure, vice simply wiggling the tire to induce play when on a lift like other cars. (am no expert, just asked the guys that diagnosed correctly how they knew). Before car wandered on road, had to really be alert when driving, now its perfect. Didn't do outer tie rods because they said I didn't need it once they were into the lower ball joints, but would ask just to be sure. Am no expert on these cars, just read the posts, and what a difference a couple ball joints made!
2) radiator-switch inside tank can get stuck. sensor can be bad. frequent problem. If you have fluid, and car temp is OK, you can ignore it, or beat on the sensor till the light goes out. I call it my buddy light, as it pays me frequent visits.
3) power steering whine in turn-mine started whining when fluid was getting low. You can get under the engine, pull off the covering and see if the power steering pump is leaking. No evidence of leaks? Probably your idle up valve that sits on the power steering pump. When valve goes bad power steering fluid gets sucked into the engine via the suction tubes and burns as white smoke out the exhaust on start up. Looks like leaks? Would wipe off components really well, start car, spin wheels and look. Power steering pump seals can leak internally, high pressure hose coming off bottom of power steering pump can also leak (especially if they didn't use the crush washer like they were supposed to when attaching it). You want to find if your power steering fluid is leaking right away, because when it leaks on your alternator, its a bummer. Then you get to buy a new alternator too. The one other time I had a slight whine, air was in the system, simply turn wheel full throw in both directions several times and it purges the air for you.

All the stuff above has happened to me-- I have found this forum to be very helpful. I'm not a mech, I just have an interest in these cars and I like to ask lots of questions and read the tutorials. It's a lot less expensive if you can diagnose, order the parts, and go to an independent service provided. Thanks to the guys on this forum, we have been spot on. Hope this helps. Welcome to Lexus land!
Old 11-06-06, 03:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by damon
Fairly certain that a unit from a Supra Non-Turbo JZA80 is swappable.

Our more aggressive Aussie Modders is where I would search for that info.
not directly, the supra has a 4 bolt rear diff mounts whereas all the LS' have 3 bolt mounts.
Old 11-06-06, 10:25 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Welcome to the forum.

FYI, JIC SA-1 and SF-1 coilovers have been discontinued...they only offer the FLT-A2's now.
Old 11-07-06, 05:59 AM
theschoens
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, don't know how to throw in a link yet. Last night searched for "sway bar bushes" and came across great thread about "stabilizer bars". You might want to search for both--very good info on stability on freeways. Good luck!
Old 11-23-06, 01:02 PM
AoyamaJPN
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info guys...

still trying to find a suspension setup. I am either going to go with tanabe or H&R sport. some people seem to have problems with tokico, so I am thinking KYB gr-2?

I am thinking of getting 19x9.5 +45, what tire size would you guys recomend for a lowered car? i don't wanna roll the fenders.

also, my power steering started to shreek on a daily basis now when turning. checked the fluid, what else can I do myself before sending it to a shop and spending a lot of $?

Thanks
Old 11-25-06, 02:08 PM
mattward70
Driver School Candidate

Default check the post I made about powersteering an hour ago

I took my car in to the mechanic for the exact same thing thinking i would have to replace the PS pump, turns out the screen was clogged and he just cleaned it out and it turns wonderfully now, simply with a slight movement of my pinky. Don't get scammed, just clean the screen.