LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How do I spice up a pearl white LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 09:56 AM
sunny068
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I spice up a pearl white LS400?

I have finally decided to get a 1997 LS400. Unfortunately I am stuck with a white one, and I would rather have silver or black of course. Anyhow, I dont really wanna wait for a black one, kinda since I am getting somewhat of a deal on it. Now I need to know what I can do to make it a little spicier. I know I need to get some tints. pinstriping? I was thinking of doing everything gold. I could get tint with a gold undertone, gold pin stripes, put the gold emblems on the bakc, and get center caps with the gold L on them. What else can I do?
Old 07-28-06, 02:13 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sunny068
I have finally decided to get a 1997 LS400. Unfortunately I am stuck with a white one, and I would rather have silver or black of course. Anyhow, I dont really wanna wait for a black one, kinda since I am getting somewhat of a deal on it. Now I need to know what I can do to make it a little spicier. I know I need to get some tints. pinstriping? I was thinking of doing everything gold. I could get tint with a gold undertone, gold pin stripes, put the gold emblems on the bakc, and get center caps with the gold L on them. What else can I do?
If gold is your thing, go for it. But if I were you, I would stick with chrome, Monotone it, and tint it. Maybe even lower it, so it would be ready if you were to buy wheels for in the future.

If you notice, a lot of people (including me) are changing thier Gold emblems for chrome ones. Gold emblems were the thing in the early 90's, but not anymore. Im telling you this with a Tan colored Lexus which is the more suitable color for gold emblems, but i think it looks MUCH better now with the chromes. But I think monotone is the best thing for a white LS.
Old 07-28-06, 02:26 PM
Alan D
Driver

I agree with Grand LS4, I would stick with the chrome emblems, tint the windows, paint the lower half of the car and think about some chrome rims in the future.

I recently removed the pinstriping from mine and it looks sooooo much better. Thinking about going monotone now but it's not as noticeable on my silver car as it would be on white.

Or, if you really think you will be bored with white, don't buy it and keep looking for what you really want. Then you won't have any regrets.
Old 07-28-06, 03:51 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I third the chrome emblems.. Gold are They just don't look right anymore. It depends how much money you want to spend. White doesn't have to look plain.. look at this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=evolution

Old 07-28-06, 03:54 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

not your year.but still pimpin
Attached Thumbnails How do I spice up a pearl white LS400?-lexus-012-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-28-06, 04:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

My taste:

Shave the emblems...that way you don't have to concern yourself with the trends or replacing them after the finish begins to flake. Maybe Leave the "L" on the trunk.

Pinstriping wears off and if you are a frequent waxer/clay person, you'll take them off even sooner. Unless if done under the clear coat but most do it on the surface for that slight rasied look.

Get yourself the newish Tein CS and EDFC along with some 19's. You'll be set.

Of course, the mods come second if the car needs service.
Old 08-02-06, 02:11 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
My taste:

Shave the emblems...that way you don't have to concern yourself with the trends or replacing them after the finish begins to flake. Maybe Leave the "L" on the trunk.

Pinstriping wears off and if you are a frequent waxer/clay person, you'll take them off even sooner. Unless if done under the clear coat but most do it on the surface for that slight rasied look.

Get yourself the newish Tein CS and EDFC along with some 19's. You'll be set.

Of course, the mods come second if the car needs service.
Sorry to jump in mid way. What is the best way to shave the emblems off the trunk (to leave the L) without damaging the paint? I would like to do this to my ride.

Also RA40's advice on the suspension and rims would definitely be killer.
Old 08-02-06, 03:16 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

Im sure this has been answered before but how do u take off the pinstriping....heres a pic of my LS even though you cant really see the fading pinstriping.

Thanks,
Aaron
Attached Thumbnails How do I spice up a pearl white LS400?-2235857_14_full.jpg  
Old 08-02-06, 04:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

There is no easy way to shave the emblems...weld the holes and paint the trunk lid. I was quoted $380.

As for pin stripe removal ing, ask in the detailing forum. The strips on pops Saturn came off after a couple good wax rubs with a basic like Mothers polish-wax. His sits out in the sun so it helped fade it anyhow.
Old 08-02-06, 04:20 PM
samjwilson
Driver School Candidate

Nice. what size rims and tires? Is your car lowered?
Old 08-02-06, 08:23 PM
Alan D
Driver

Originally Posted by lexodude
Im sure this has been answered before but how do u take off the pinstriping....heres a pic of my LS even though you cant really see the fading pinstriping.

Thanks,
Aaron

I recently removed the pinstripes on my 99 and it was a lot of work but well worth it. Car looks so much better without the stripes. I started by wiping isopropyl alcohol over a section of the stripe and then removed it with a razor blade. Stripes came of easily but left the adhesive behind. I then rubbed with more alcohol which softened up the adhesive and then carefully scraped off the glue with the razor blade. Followed up with more alochol and then buffed the surface with an orbital and some fine polish. Worked well but took about 2 hours to do both sides.
Old 08-02-06, 08:34 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

i have 20s on my car with 145/352/20 rubber on them.and i had to shave my back fenders...and my car is not lowred.but iam gonna do a two inch drop pretty soon...still saveing for airbags
Old 08-03-06, 01:56 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by biglexass
i have 20s on my car with 145/352/20 rubber on them.and i had to shave my back fenders...and my car is not lowred.but iam gonna do a two inch drop pretty soon...still saveing for airbags
Im guessing you meant to say 245/35/20. I really like the rims btw... I've been on the look out whenever im in Mel. I saw a FULL kitted dark 1st gen not too long ago there.
Old 08-03-06, 02:01 PM
absolut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Im guessing you meant to say 245/35/20. I really like the rims btw... I've been on the look out whenever im in Mel. I saw a FULL kitted dark 1st gen not too long ago there.
was it black with a xenon kit? I saw one here in orlando at the florida mall a few weeks ago.
Old 08-03-06, 02:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by absolut
was it black with a xenon kit? I saw one here in orlando at the florida mall a few weeks ago.

Im pretty sure it was black, or dark brown. Not sure about the Xenon's, because it was during the day.

Quick Reply: How do I spice up a pearl white LS400?