LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS dies all of a sudden, but is fine when jump started and while running.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 11:24 AM
lexusdubai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS dies all of a sudden, but is fine when jump started and while running.

Hi, i been readin stuff from this forum, i own a93 ls400 imported from US
just here if sum1 cud help me with my tiny problem, im lukin for advice.

yesterday until i've bought the car everythin was fine but one strange thing happened, i stopped at this traffic signal, where the cars stereo system which is a TV/DVD player, the screen wud turn on and off, on and off, and as i lukd at the dash there were engine check and Battery signs coming on and off and as well the lights wud go dim and bright, so as the signal went green, i moved to a side, turned the car off, wont come back on, as seems it had squeezed all the power out of the battery, jump started it, and drove was smooth and fine, then again i stopped and wanted to make sure what really was wrong, so while the engine was on i removed the +ve battery terminal, car engine dies, i was sure this is the electric motor, or whtever its called, well i sumhow askd for help and jump started it again, now reached home, and turned it off , restart and car starts all normal, so not to take risks i drove to work in my Nissan patrol 4x4, and when i came home from work today checked the lexus it starts all fine, was normal in rev's i used high beam at stall and all the lights car dint vibrate nor did it die, now this time i was confused dint drive though, so here i am, all im asking is what could be the reason??

sorry for the long story as i've never been to forums.

any helpful hints wud be appreciated.

thanks.
Old 07-23-06, 10:29 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check your power steering pump.
Old 07-23-06, 11:49 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

this is weird, My Ls has been doing something like that too...Try to start and entire cars electrical dies...completely...no word yet, Jump started works fine, had new battery a couple months ago. I dont think its worth fixing personally :x Maybe we'll just get a new car
Old 07-24-06, 07:05 AM
lexusdubai
Driver School Candidate

this goes to skperformance, dude you have gotten me with question poppin in my head now,
thanks for the tip, but why would u say power steering pump? coz its leakin?
well guess what since i bought the car, the pump has been leakin it seem's coz i been putin oil in again and again every week, which means, if its leakin and if the electrical generator thingy is located beneath it, is the oil shorting it? is that what the cause wud be??
Old 07-24-06, 08:18 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^^ yes.........