LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just Installed my Tokicos

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 10:32 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Just Installed my Tokicos

About the Install:
Well, it was definitely a learning experience. Installing the front ones wasn't so bad, but I was stupid and couldn't use my spring compressors properly. With the rear struts, I managed to learn how to use that thing and changing the springs only took 5 minutes. Getting the rear struts out is somewhat of a pain if you don't remove the rear axles. Its definitely possible, but now I see why the manual tells you to do it. Putting the new struts back in is even tougher! One went in okay, the other I had to hammer the bolt through to get it to fit. I also had to use a jack to move the axle up and down relative to the strut and force it in. I took the struts out twice and recompressed the spring, and tried to realign the strut mount with the strut, but it didn't help much. Eventually I just had to force it in by getting the strut to line up on one side with its bolt, and then using a hammer to force the bolt through the strut, and then through the other side where the bolt is held, and then I attached the nut.

First Impressions
The car is a lot smoother now. I still had my original 13 year old struts on! The car sits about 1" higher now than it used to, and it feels more stable at higher speeds. Body roll is slightly recuded. The car feels more stable when you make sharp turns, etc, but there is still a significant amount of body roll. The steering is now much more predictable. During cornering it feels like the car goes where you want it to. But the feel still isn't "stiff" enough for me. In my quest for the perfect steering, I think I'm going to install new front lower ball joints, and then do the Daizen CA bushigns. I also bought that Otto racing strut bar, so that may make some difference.

I think the Tokico's are a great stock replacement. However, I still can't get the car to be as smooth as I remember it being a long time ago. I still feel a lot of the little bumps on the road. I don't know if the roads around here have just become that much worse, or if I am exaggerating the memory I have of how the car used to be. I hope all the Daizen bushings will change the feel of the car, and from reading here, it seems like it will.

That was definitely a tough and fun install. It was tough because it was my first time doing any work under the car. I had taken apart my interior plenty of times, but nothing else. For the project I had to go out and buy everything. I didn't have a jack, or jack stands, or a torque wrench, or an impact wrench, etc. I probably spent about $300 on tools to do the job. But it was an investment, now I can do a lot of my own work. I feel more confident tackling other things now.

Up next: Daizen CA bushings, sway bar bushings, NGK spark plugs + wires

All sitting at home waiting to be installed

Also thanks again to PureDrifter for his help, as well as Pagong who assured me I could do the job w/o removing the axles.
Old 07-20-06, 10:38 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, Suneet!

But.....where the HELL are our pics?!?!?!?!?!? LoL

Good job, man....you're definitely motivating me to change mine out...I've been leaning more towards the KYBs though...but, I dunno.
Old 07-20-06, 10:57 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

congrads on the install. I hope you have better success with them then I did. I wound up scrapping mine for a refund and going KYB-GR2's. I don't have my stock springs, I am running H&R's for a 1" drop. Just got my Daizen bushings installed earlier this week, can't wait to get home to try them out. If you need more info of my personal experience with the tokico's then PM me.
Old 07-20-06, 12:05 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job on the DIY bro keep it up
Old 07-20-06, 02:28 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome do it yourself job - grab your camera and lemme see
Old 07-20-06, 03:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

WOOT!!

glad u finally finished it man, dont forget to hit me up when u do the LCA bushings, i wanna see pics of the FYRE!!!
Old 07-21-06, 01:21 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have changed struts on 2 UCF-10 models & 1 UCF-20 , unless I was lowering I would stick with stock.

On the 95 + Model UCF-20's Bilstein might change my mind but on a Gen. 1 stay with stock.

The Daizen sway bar bushings are the best upgrade per dollar you will ever encounter on an LS400. Do not talk about suspension problems until you have done this swap.
Old 07-21-06, 03:19 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

You asked for pics so here they are... Its nothing special! But here are pics ayways.. this is what the fronts look like:
Attached Thumbnails Just Installed my Tokicos-front.jpg  
Old 07-21-06, 03:19 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

This is the rear strut.. you see why its a pain to put in? I had to use that jack tomove the axle around quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Just Installed my Tokicos-rear.jpg  
Old 07-21-06, 03:21 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Here's what the strut looks like outside of the car w/ the spring mounted. I need to snap a pic of how the car sits.
Attached Thumbnails Just Installed my Tokicos-strut.jpg  
Old 07-21-06, 03:23 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

This is where I do all my work.. my garage Sorry for the terrible pic. As you can see it is a bit spatially challenged.. I have to park the car diagonally to maximize the space. This car is big! If I park it straight that leaves no room to walk around.
Attached Thumbnails Just Installed my Tokicos-garage.jpg  
Old 07-22-06, 05:40 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suneetbhai,
Bau saras. Tell us about the rears. Is installing the fronts harder or the rears?
How long did the whole car take you?
Take care.
Old 07-22-06, 10:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ychachad
Suneetbhai,
Bau saras. Tell us about the rears. Is installing the fronts harder or the rears?
How long did the whole car take you?
Take care.
another one rofl.
Old 07-22-06, 09:43 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Job man!!
Old 07-23-06, 09:22 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes one to know one. How many of us are here on the LS forum?

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
another one rofl.

Quick Reply: Just Installed my Tokicos