LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

Old 07-08-06, 06:37 AM
CHUBYBALL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

I Finally I got my speedo needle to work right again. The problem that I had was the needle sometimes play dead and sometimes work fine. It is weird when it does not work properly. The symptom is that that the speedo kind of jumpie when it does not work right.

For example, one morning I started up the car and drive and the speed needle still play dead but the odor meter still work fine. I tried to change gear or accelerate the car, hopefully the yoke of the sensor may get the needle to work again. Well, it did. The needle bounced real quick up to 20 or sometimes 40 miles/per depend on the speed you were driving.

The solution to this problem is replacing the speed sensor, I purchase the sensor at Autozone for $80.00. I only need to bought one even though there are 2 speed sensor. If you look at my attach document you will know why I only bought one sensor.

How troubleshoot the problem, first you need to disconnect the sensor from the electrical wire then drive it around the block, you will see the odometer and speedo needles, both are not work because they both are connected to the same sensor, where it connected near the drivesharft (end of transmission).

Replace the old one with new one with clean them real good. Don't over tight it, the sensor will damage from cracking. My advice to those who works under the car, don’t get under unless you know your car is on the ramp or the stand, and don’t forget to place a stop at your rear tires to prevent the car from moving.

Last edited by CHUBYBALL; 07-09-06 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-08-06, 08:47 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

THanks a lot for the guide

Many memebers are experiancing that problem.

Where is the document you wanted to attach by the way?
Old 07-08-06, 02:33 PM
CHUBYBALL
Driver School Candidate

it does not allow me to attach 200k file along, it said it's too big. Anyone wants it? Just email me.
The following users liked this post:
gtoden1 (11-24-21)
Old 07-08-06, 04:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

host the file on yousendit.com and pm me the link. il post it up for you.
Old 07-08-06, 10:30 PM
CHUBYBALL
Driver School Candidate

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=5258

click on there to access the file
Old 07-09-06, 02:04 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be a sticky along with the other cluster problems
Old 07-09-06, 12:28 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHUBYBALL
Chubyball -

Thank you very much for this post. I was too much of a slacker to do it.
Old 07-11-06, 09:41 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Replacement of the speed sensor on the transmission may solve some of the problems involving a sticking speedometer needle; however, I don't think it will fix the most common problem.

My tachometer and speedometer needles are usually pegged at zero when I start my 93 LS during the warmer months of the year. The tachometer can usually be brought to life by rapping on the dash directly above the tach. Sometimes, but not always, the speedometer can be brought to life by rapping on the dash above the speedometer. More often, the speedometer springs to life after about 30 minutes of driving. Both instruments work fine for the rest of the day. The next day, they are dead again when the car is started.

It does not strike me as logical that a bad speed sensor is causing this problem. How do I overcome a bad speed sensor by rapping on the dash directly over the speedometer? It seems more likely to me that the problem is related to some kind of binding that is caused by heat expansion within the instrument panel. Another possibility is a solder or other kind of wiring connection that loses continuity because of heat expansion.
The following users liked this post:
Lavoisier (09-04-21)
Old 07-16-06, 11:01 AM
Gary Early
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMan
Replacement of the speed sensor on the transmission may solve some of the problems involving a sticking speedometer needle; however, I don't think it will fix the most common problem.

It does not strike me as logical that a bad speed sensor is causing this problem. How do I overcome a bad speed sensor by rapping on the dash directly over the speedometer?

Agree--my '93 LS exhibits the same exact symptoms as yours (along with many, many others....), and I don't believe a new speed sensor will fix our particular problems. I hadn't thought about your heat expansion theory before you mentioned it, but it could make sense. I was thinking more on the lines of some needle lubricant becoming "gummy" over the years, especially in hot weather maybe. The needles (tach and speedo) do usually last all day once they start working, as you said, but I have had occasions where they both stutter a little after the initial movement from breaking loose off the peg. For instance, I have had the speedometer start working, stop at a red light, and stay stuck on the peg for another mile or two before coming to life again. That implies to me that the needle "touching" the peg has something to do with it........like a sticky peg or stop on the mechanism. Would like to find out what causes it though....appears nobody so far has definitively figured it out.
Old 07-25-06, 01:39 PM
mojoda27
Driver School Candidate

Have got similar problem with my 93 LS 400, both speedometer and the tachometer disengaged every morning (cold start ); both comes on after about 10-15 minutes or roughly 15 miles drive. Usually the tachometer comes to life jumping from 0-3000 RPM erratically before the speedometer kicks in. After stabilizing, everything works fine till the next cold start.
Old 07-28-06, 05:05 PM
TPSTulane
Driver School Candidate

It worked for me!!! I used to bang on the dash and the speedo would work.
But then one day the banging would no longer work. So I
bought the sensor from AutoZone for $82.95 on-line.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...7ESpeed+Sensor

My mechanic charged me $25.00 to install.!!!
My speedo now works!!!! No more banging.
My tach & odometer have always worked.
Hope this helps you guys to try it!
Thanks for the fix!!!

Last edited by TPSTulane; 07-28-06 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 01:51 PM
TPSTulane
Driver School Candidate

False Alarm. I believe it worked only for a short time is because my mechanic had my car parked in the extremely hot sun.
I guess it must be in the dash.
Oh well it worked for 1 day......
Old 07-30-06, 11:55 AM
mojoda27
Driver School Candidate

Default Speed Sensor

Thanks for the information, I was planing tp purchase the speed sensor from AutoZone.
Come to think of it, If the car is park outside on a sunny day the both speedometer and the tachometer works fine.
My feeling is it may be something else than the sensor. And since this a common occurence with LS400 ( I guess ).
What is Lexus ( Toyota ) take on this?
Old 07-31-06, 07:29 AM
NewLSlover
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mojoda27
What is Lexus ( Toyota ) take on this?
^I'd be willing to bet their take is "We can replace your whole instrument panel for 2,750"..

That's what they told me @ Lexus of Jacksonville....I almost threw up on myself I was laughing so hard...hahha
Old 07-31-06, 08:34 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Yeah, and the replacement cluster they install will have the same design and/or production defects that your present one has.

Is that any way to solve a problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work