LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 09:55 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I already replied twice today in reference to this issue and solution.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 07-17-14, 01:58 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
It's not a sensor. The issue is inside of the gauge cluster.
It is not a bad speed sensor or the ECM.
Originally Posted by Caniac14
What's the problem then?
I already replied twice today in reference to this issue and solution.
no solution was given other than the problem is inside the gauge cluster. what specifically is causing the problem? and what is done to remedy it?

i read somewhere that the needle has a counterweight that needs to be adjusted, but i cannot find the thread.
Old 09-23-14, 10:17 PM
clipster
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wanted to say that I had the problem with the sticking speedo/tach on my 98, found this thread, and sent mine off to Tanin Auto. Couldn't have asked for better or faster service - was very pleased with this transaction.

No affiliation with them other than a highly satisfied customer - would definitely recommend.
Old 09-24-14, 07:40 AM
Michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solution ro the sticking needle

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
no solution was given other than the problem is inside the gauge cluster. what specifically is causing the problem? and what is done to remedy it?

i read somewhere that the needle has a counterweight that needs to be adjusted, but i cannot find the thread.
I think Mr Tanin knows the solution to the problem but does not want to share with us since this is what he does for profit. A trade secret, so do speak.

I fixed all of problems with the dash exception of this sticking needle problem. I have done much search on the net without a success.
Old 09-24-14, 01:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael
I think Mr Tanin knows the solution to the problem but does not want to share with us since this is what he does for profit. A trade secret, so do speak.

I fixed all of problems with the dash exception of this sticking needle problem. I have done much search on the net without a success.
Did you read post #59 in this thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post3378390
Old 06-03-15, 01:13 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Did you read post #59 in this thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post3378390
Came across this old thread because I am also experiencing erratic behavior on my tach. Know anyone that tried RickyGee's technique with success? Thanks.
Old 06-03-15, 04:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael

He probably does but given that they likely spent time and money to learn it and is running a business how is that a bad thing?
Old 06-03-15, 04:18 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

People ask us all the time on every make and model, "well what did the tech do?"

"They fixed it!"

If we told people what we did, how we did it, how long it took us, the tools and parts we used then what would be the point of us doing it anymore? Even more so then that would open up a line of criticizing and critiquing how we do things the way we do and quite simply we don't have the time to address all of these questions over the phone. The phones ring all day long and we have three people answering them. It's the only way we can provide such excellent support and 1-3 day turnaround on most things.

Quite simply, if we described how to do it then people would still do it wrong and/or break their cluster. Then they would say, "well you told me to do this".

It's a path best left alone.

The following users liked this post:
gadjet (10-24-20)
Old 06-03-15, 07:36 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Came across this old thread because I am also experiencing erratic behavior on my tach. Know anyone that tried RickyGee's technique with success? Thanks.
Depending on what's wrong with your cluster I'm pretty sure lots of ppl tried his fix and got things in order. You will just have to try it yourself and let us know, good luck.
Old 10-16-15, 08:24 AM
AkkilNash
Driver School Candidate

Default Is it fixed by replacing new sensor

Originally Posted by TPSTulane
False Alarm. I believe it worked only for a short time is because my mechanic had my car parked in the extremely hot sun.
I guess it must be in the dash.
Oh well it worked for 1 day......
So is it fixed with a new sensor installation because my speedometer and Odometer stopped working previous day. It was a normal weather no hot climate. I even hit my dashboard several times but didn't work
Old 12-26-15, 01:54 PM
jrtalbot
Driver School Candidate

Default A Permanent solution to Sticky Needles

Looking through these posts, I thought I would add my 2 cents worth of information. I have a 93 SC300 and had the intermittent sticking needle problem (worse in warm weather, banging on the dash would help). I thought perhaps it was something to do with the interior of the needle assembly having some sticky material on the interior stop. At rest, the needles would sit slightly below the zero point. I removed the cluster, separated the pieces and carefully drilled 2 very small holes very very very slightly below the zero point on each indicator dial (Tach and Speedo). I then inserted a 1/16 inch black steel roll pin in each hole and glued them in. It was necessary to snip the roll pins to length so they did not protrude through the back of the indicator board, but had enough length sticking out the front that the needles rested on these pins at zero. I was careful to use only enough length on the pins that they only protruded maybe 1/16th inch further out than the needles. These new "zero stop pins", I think prevented the needles from returning to their interior stop points. So basically I just gave the needles a new resting point. I was pretty sure this would work as I had previously put a couple of sticky rubber stops on the indicator board face and that worked for a few weeks. The pin solution is more permanent and has now worked for over 12 months.
Old 12-26-15, 06:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Tanin is an okay place they do good work, and they also sell some parts. I would say for the average person just taking out the cluster or the climate control is a chore. And unless you have lots of cars that need the work done on, and live along ways from Tanin. It is way better to let them do the fixing work. For all that is involved doing either the cluster or the climate control, what Tanin charges is next to nothing. And if you do it yourself you do run the chance of goofing it up nice.
Old 12-28-15, 07:59 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Originally Posted by dicer
Tanin is an okay place they do good work, and they also sell some parts. I would say for the average person just taking out the cluster or the climate control is a chore. And unless you have lots of cars that need the work done on, and live along ways from Tanin. It is way better to let them do the fixing work. For all that is involved doing either the cluster or the climate control, what Tanin charges is next to nothing. And if you do it yourself you do run the chance of goofing it up nice.
Thanks for the support!

That is the main thing really, on this issue. If someone doesn't know what they are doing, it ends up causing even more damage and headache.

We keep our prices low and turn around time fast- Anyone can contact us at any time for price quotes and questions. Always happy to help our ClubLexus friends!

Old 02-21-18, 12:19 AM
Kram
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 1990 LS400 with 98000.0 miles and i had the needle lite go out so i removed the cluster and painted the needle and put the cluster back and after 20 miles the speed needle dropped all the way down so i toke the cluster back out and moved the speed needle all the way to 180 and slowly let it go back then put the cluster back and drove 20 miles and it worked great then the speed needle went back to the bottom and no longer works unless i move the needle to 180 again .so anyone have this problem . i purchased a 1993 LS400 for parts and i would drive it to new york and back and not even open the hood so if anybody needs parts i have them, i want to put the power train into a older truck but everything else is in great condition including the wheels they look like new.
Old 02-22-18, 09:09 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kram
i have a 1990 LS400 with 98000.0 miles and i had the needle lite go out so i removed the cluster and painted the needle and put the cluster back and after 20 miles the speed needle dropped all the way down so i toke the cluster back out and moved the speed needle all the way to 180 and slowly let it go back then put the cluster back and drove 20 miles and it worked great then the speed needle went back to the bottom and no longer works unless i move the needle to 180 again .so anyone have this problem . i purchased a 1993 LS400 for parts and i would drive it to new york and back and not even open the hood so if anybody needs parts i have them, i want to put the power train into a older truck but everything else is in great condition including the wheels they look like new.
MPH assembly is broken and will need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work