LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 07:43 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlp93
I anxiously await the first reports from satisfied customers on this fix.
I'm about to send mine in and just talked with Mr. Whizard on the phone. He was a nice guy.

I should be shipping it out today and will get it back in about two weeks. Hold for the results!

Last edited by kevs; 08-31-07 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-04-07, 09:07 AM
bz93es
Driver School Candidate

Dear All,

The Speedo needle on my 93 ES is stuck too around 35mph mark. then again around the 65mph mark. (possibly other places too)
My problem started after I took my cluster out a few times trying to fix the burnt out needle LEDs.
as part of troubleshooting, i moved the needle with my fingers. I found that it 'clicks' around the 35mph, 60mph and all around the guage. It would not spring back to the 'zero' mark.
applied some WD40 to it. same problem. However, if I flipped the cluster upside down (needle towards ground), the speedo needle would move freely (but more violantly thant he Tach. maybe too much WD40 ???) and didn't notice the 'click'. Thinking of buying a replacement cluster from Ebay.
Old 09-11-07, 07:43 AM
BAttitude7
Driver School Candidate

Default Speedo gets stuck

*1992 Lexus LS400* I recently changed my speed sensors bc I was told that was the prob and not after they have been replaced still the same problem I notice if i tap on the dash hard enough my speedo works ...leads me to think there is a prob with the instrument cluster lexus wants like $1,200 for a new one. I called www.mrwhizard.com he said he normally dose not work on 1992 but he will try n give it a shot and most likely he can fix it for $229. Is there any other way this can be fixed, without replacing. It works when it wants too and I do notice if my car is parked in direct sun for a couple hours . I start it up and it works fine and other times not in the sun it dosent work. When I talked to www.mrwhizard.com he said its a def. and common Florida prob. thats where I live and also there is 2 things inside the speedo that are touching that not supposed to which lead its to get stuck. Any ideas would help.
Old 09-11-07, 08:04 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BAttitude7 -

If they say they can probably fix the problem for $229.00, go for it.

This problem has been discussed for a number of years on this forum. Until recently, when Mr. Whizard announced they now have a repair, no one has been able to come up with a solution. It appears that the problem involves heat expansion of components inside the instrument cluster since it normally occurs during the hotter months of the year.

I am glad someone finally figured out the problem. When we get some feedback from those who have had the repair done, I intend to send my cluster to Mr. Whizard. It is very frustrating to have to drive at least 10-15 miles every trip before the speedometer jumps to life. My odometer always starts working when I rap on the dash above the display. This does not work with the speedometer most of the time.
Old 09-11-07, 09:14 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

My speedo for my '94 LS is officially on its way back from Mr. Whizard to me here in MD. I should be receiving it by early/mid-next week.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Old 09-13-07, 08:44 AM
BAttitude7
Driver School Candidate

I found another guy who can fix them supposly

thelexpert@yahoo.com

He told me this

Yes, I can fix the following problems:

Odometer not working
Speedometer sticks at zero sometimes
Temp gauge always at cold

For $450
Old 09-14-07, 02:28 PM
bn268
Driver School Candidate

Default Tach and Speedo work intermittently, I've found ...

Hi everybody,
I found a place in Los Angeles area, actually suburban of LA.
www.LexusTech.com. The guy charge me only $180 for fixing
the On and Off operable Tach and Speedo gauges.
Old 09-18-07, 07:43 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CUMan
For those who are having the sticking speedometer and odometer needles on their 93-94 LS models, check out the Mr Whizard website (www.mrwhizard.com). They indicate that they now have a fix for this problem. The cost is $189.00.
I just got my speedo back today and went to put it right back in the car.

Let me tell ya, Mr. Whizard did a phenomenal job!

The entire cluster worked like it SHOULD be working and he was accessible 100% of the way.

If you have any questions about his handiwork, feel free to PM me and let me know.

It's always a good feeling when you send something of value out and it actually comes back the way it was promised!
Old 09-19-07, 06:37 AM
jlp93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevs
I just got my speedo back today and went to put it right back in the car.

Let me tell ya, Mr. Whizard did a phenomenal job!

The entire cluster worked like it SHOULD be working and he was accessible 100% of the way.

If you have any questions about his handiwork, feel free to PM me and let me know.

It's always a good feeling when you send something of value out and it actually comes back the way it was promised!
That is GREAT NEWS, kevs! Thanks you very much for the feedback.

Please keep us updated if anything changes. Hopefully, it will be smooth sailing from here.
Old 09-20-07, 06:59 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlp93
That is GREAT NEWS, kevs! Thanks you very much for the feedback.

Please keep us updated if anything changes. Hopefully, it will be smooth sailing from here.
I've been testing it out from complete stops, rolling stops, turning off/on the ignition...everything works 100% perfect.

For the price he charges, it's definitely worth it to have another 13 years before this car needs something like this again.

Mr. Whizard is a definite two-thumbs up
Old 11-21-07, 07:51 AM
chadr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bigg-Momma
I looked up on the net on how to fix this and was instructed to replace 3 (cheap OE) capacitors with some sexy new ones. Took a whole 15 minutes and all was well.
do you have the specs for the capacitors you replaced so i can buy them before removing the dash?
Old 01-07-08, 07:03 AM
wpai
Driver School Candidate

It appears that the "sticking" speedometer and techometer problems mostly occur on early 90-94 models. Mine is a 1998 and I experience the same problem. Both meters do not move until ~10-15 minutes driving after cold start. Any other has the same problem on 98-00 models? Is there a (cheap) solution?
Old 01-08-08, 09:40 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THANKYOU! I have this problem woot
Old 03-21-08, 07:15 AM
RickyGee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticking needle problem solved, DIY

For those of you who would like to fix the sticking speedometer and Tach needles yourselves, at no cost, the solution is simple, but takes some careful disassembly of the gage cluster to remove the sticking gage. First, remove the cluster. (http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/elect...ntcluster.html) Then disassemble the cluster (http://www.lexusownersclub.com/Lexus...rd_Removal.pdf) by removing the 4 screws from the power supply board and folding it back, then the screws holding the main board to the frame. Remove the ribbon cables by carefully prying up evenly on the wedge lock, and the other connectors by lifting straight up.
Once the gage is removed you can access the needle limit stop arm from the back side. The sticking is the result of lube getting on the limit stop arm and causing a slight vacuum (much like denture adhesive) when the needle disk contacts it. This vacuum has to be overcome before the needle will release from the limit stop. There is no need for any lubrication at this location, and it must be removed.

Take a Q tip and remove most of the cotton from one end. It will fit nicely alongside the limit stop arm. Make sure the needle is pointing toward 50mph and not on the zero point. Insert the tip on the face side of the arm and once the tip reaches the end of the arm, rotate it gently to remove the lube. Then, even more gently, rotate the needle back toward the zero position until the limit stop on the disk contacts the Q tip and rotate the Q tip another turn while applying very gentle pressure on the back end of the needle arm. Rotate the needle away from the zero position and extract the Q tip and the sticking will be gone. Reassemble and grin widely, knowing that you saved yourself a couple hundred bucks. -Rick
Attached Thumbnails How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work-cleanstop2.jpg  

Last edited by RickyGee; 03-31-08 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add picture
The following users liked this post:
Cactus400 (04-30-23)
Old 04-30-08, 02:31 PM
OGLS400
Driver School Candidate

my speedo worked fine and my tach was off, one day i hit the dash on the speedo side both needles dropped below zero took the cluster out cleaned the connectors and now the both move but the speedo is 10 to 12 miles off. The tach is off by about 600 rpm. what is the cost to fix it or replace just the part? 1990 ls400

Quick Reply: How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work