LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 06:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great news guys, it works perfect!!! I just put it back into the car, and started it several times to test the RPM needle, and test drove it around, making about 10 stops. The RPM needle jumps right up, but the speedo needle scared me at first - initially it looked like it didnt move, but then I realized that the way I installed the pin, the speedo needle is already at 5MPH, so unless you are going faster then 5MPH, it doesn't move, but once you're going 5mph and up, it moves smoothly, no jumpiness. If any of you guys are going to proceed with the mod, make sure you set the pins a little lower than I did (look at where I drilled my hole, and drill yours a hair lower, this way you will get speed reading before 5MPH.

As far as the looks, the pins are barely noticeable, and if they were black they would be even better. Overall, it took me a little more than an hour, and it defenately beats slamming on the dashboard every time the needles freeze.
Old 05-17-07, 08:12 PM
maxgee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue, tapping the dash fixes it or drive a couple of miles after I first start it and all is good. I am glad I found this post, when the tapping no longer works, I will get the sensor.
Old 05-18-07, 05:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You know how I put these paper pins into my cluster to keep the needles from sticking? Well, guess what, today I was driving my other Lexus, the 01 GS430, and I noticed that it's cluster has pins installed under every needle, by Lexus. Of course, they aren't paper pins, and they look cleaner, but the fact that they are there can only have one logical explanation - Lexus couldn't do anything themselves about the sticking needless so they resorted to the use of pins on the newer models. I wonder if any other newer Lexus models have pins in their cluster. My old GS300 didn't have sticky needles, but the needless were burning out, and so was backlighting. I don't remember whether it had any pins or not.

In any case, I'm attaching a picture of a GS430 cluster with these pins. This isn't a picture of the cluster in my GS, it just a picture I found on ebay.

Last edited by Och; 12-29-09 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 11:48 AM
CELICA XX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bigg-Momma
Either way, if you can't do this your self than there is a guy out of Canada that will do it for about 180 including shipping: http://www.mrwhizard.com/
I was excited to see that, but then I visited his site...
To all owners of 1993/94 Lexus LS400:

Regarding Sluggish/Slow to move Speedometer and Tach needles (don't move for 20 minutes or only move with a bang on top of the dash). After extensive testing and evaluation (over 100 hours) we have come to the conclusion that the speedo and/or tach motor mechanisms are sticking due to the internal lubricant becoming very viscous with a combination of time and weather conditions. At present the only way we feel to repair this is to change the actual gauge movements. However this is very expensive ($1000 + for both gauges).
Old 06-24-07, 12:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, my solution with the pins is still working perfectly, for several month now.
Old 07-17-07, 02:48 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Och, when you did your pin insertion fix to stop the needles from hanging up, did you consider inserting the pins from the rear so that the head of the push pin was not visible? The metal part of the pin should be able to stop the needle from falling to zero.

I have not had my cluster apart, so it may be that the black display panel cannot be separated to get at its rear part.

I think you have found a good fix for the problem. Obviously, preventing the needles from falling to the zero position where they sit when the car is turned off solves the problem. This correlates with the above post which mentions the "viscous" lubricant as being the culprit. It appears that the passage of time and high temperatures turn the lubricant into glue.
Old 07-17-07, 10:56 PM
CHUBYBALL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently resolved my needle problem, no longer tap or hitting on the dash anymore. It took me a year to realize that my speed needle works fine when it's cold but not in warm weather (rain and moist). A month ago, I took the Speedometer apart and spray some W40D behind the needle. Now, it seems to work fine either cold or warm weather.
You guys should try the same thing as I did may be it would help also.
Old 07-18-07, 03:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CUMan
Och, when you did your pin insertion fix to stop the needles from hanging up, did you consider inserting the pins from the rear so that the head of the push pin was not visible? The metal part of the pin should be able to stop the needle from falling to zero.

I have not had my cluster apart, so it may be that the black display panel cannot be separated to get at its rear part.

I think you have found a good fix for the problem. Obviously, preventing the needles from falling to the zero position where they sit when the car is turned off solves the problem. This correlates with the above post which mentions the "viscous" lubricant as being the culprit. It appears that the passage of time and high temperatures turn the lubricant into glue.
Well, there are mechanisms in the back, so I dont think there will be enough space to insert a pin back there. As far as the lubricant becoming "viscous", I'm not very sure about that, because when I had the cluster apart, it didn't take anymore effor to move the needle from zero position than any other position. The needle moved very freely and effortlessly, and if there's an electric motor that moves that needle, I don't see why it gets stuck at zero position.
Old 07-19-07, 06:04 AM
Christian
Pole Position

Hello,

I also have the sticking needle problem for the rpm. I#m wondering that the needle also stucks at 200 400 600 etc. rpms when the car is cold!
I also notice that under full throttle the rpm sometimes only shows something around 5400 rpms! The tach needle starts jumping too at very high speeds above 240km/h.

Chris
Old 07-19-07, 05:34 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

I realize this is the LS400 forum. But heres a thread to a and fix for a similar problem on Supras and SC's. That may or may not help you guys.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=433076
Old 07-19-07, 08:01 PM
kitlchin
Driver School Candidate

There is a crack round plastic disk inside the unit holding the speedometer spring in position or moved. This situation happens same to tacometer. Tapping the dash board will jerk the spring holding the needle to jump. Eventually, you have to repalce it because it is pain in the behind. I have replaced both of these units. Each of these is going to cost you about $250 from the dealer.
Old 07-25-07, 06:43 PM
CHUBYBALL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far so good, my speedometer is working fine when it's warm weather. NO STICKY AT ALL.
Old 08-05-07, 07:02 AM
bn268
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixing the sticky Speedo with W40 lubricant

It's no luck with me.
I am in the car business, lately I've just tried to spray W40 to the Tach and Speedo needles when I already have them apart, but the problem is still there. I just want to let the community knows of my expericence.
Old 08-23-07, 07:12 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who are having the sticking speedometer and odometer needles on their 93-94 LS models, check out the Mr Whizard website (www.mrwhizard.com). They indicate that they now have a fix for this problem. The cost is $189.00.
Old 08-24-07, 08:01 AM
jlp93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CUMan
For those who are having the sticking speedometer and odometer needles on their 93-94 LS models, check out the Mr Whizard website (www.mrwhizard.com). They indicate that they now have a fix for this problem. The cost is $189.00.
I anxiously await the first reports from satisfied customers on this fix.

Quick Reply: How to fix your speedo needle when it does not work