LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Problem with suspension bushes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 02:37 AM
Blipman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with suspension bushes?

Hi guys,

I've just imported my Toyota Celsior (LS400) from Japan:

The car is great but there are I suspect some very badly worn suspension bushes at the back, it clunks around a bit and you can feel the car moving around under hard acceleration (and then straightens itself when you lift off).

Is this a known problem and can people suggest which bushes might be the problem? How hard is it to fix and what parts are needed, and if possible can anyone make some recommendations on who can do this in Melbourne, Australia?

Ben
Old 06-03-06, 05:18 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A starting point would be to put all four corners in the air, on jackstands. Remove the wheels and inspect the suspension components. With the shocks hanging, you can grab them to check for any play in their upper mounts. It's difficult to check a bushing if it's loaded down with the LS's weight.

Any bushing worn causes metat to metal contact or excessive play. Look closely for any loose components and go from there.
Old 06-04-06, 02:19 PM
AussiLS400
Driver School Candidate

Go to Autobarn or Repco and order some SupaPro rear trailing arm bushes around $60. There a must replace item. Quote Ls400 only. See lexls.com website for fitment. After fitment check for any other movement. I had movement in the outer lower trailing arm bushes also and found a place in the states which carry these bushes. You will need a wheel alignment. Mine was out 15 degrees after fitment of all the bushes. In all it made a huge difference to rear end feel.......Is that the way your car arrived to Aus.
Old 06-04-06, 02:33 PM
JRG
Driver School Candidate

I just got done fixing this EXACT thing! We ordered trailing arm aft bushings aftermarket. If you try to gat them from Lexus they want to sell the whole hub with the bushing installed factory. The after market is a two piece unit with a new center dowel that replaces the factory unit. The factory bushing has to be driven out with a drift or something similar, we used an air chisel, 30 seconds per side.

Before the new bushings the thing would practiculy change lanes on its own. Now much tighter. I agree 100% with Tammy to get under there and take a peek. Also I HIGHLY recomend when you get the new bushings to mesure them 1st before taking anything apart, we ordered lots of different bushings to replace both forward and aft bushings and could not get a correct size for the forward ones. Luck would have it that they were OK and didn't have to be replaced. If you need to replace the forward ones the dealer will only sell those as the whole arm, just like the front strut bars.

JRG

Last edited by JRG; 06-05-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-05-06, 12:30 AM
Blipman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback guys, AussiLS400 that's exactly the sort of info I was after, cheers. I lifted the rear, although everything looks fine by eye the driver's side rear wheel has about half a centimetre play when you grab the wheel and shake side to side. That'll be the biggest culprit.

AusiLS400, I spoke to Pedders and they had a "rear trailing arm" in their book (the only LS400 part!) but they didn't know which arm on the car that actually was, can I confirm that this is the one you are referring to?

This shot is of the driver's side (RHD vehicle), rear wheel from the front looking back). The bush near the hub as pictured is where the movement is

The passenger side doesn't have any movement but the clunking sound (though hard to tell) is maybe coming from that side, so there still could be more issues but fixing this one will certainly make a difference and stop the movement when I accelerate.

Also, (dramatic music) da da daaaaaa.......

Fluid leaking on rear struts. I know the air suspension on these has all sorts of problems and that replacements are over a grand a corner, but in this case the airbag itself is fine and it's the shock that's leaking, can it be serviced/replaced seperately? What do most people do?

JRG thanks for the info, I'll consider that my back up plan if I can't find something locally, yep a wheel alignment is definitely on the cars once done, the car has 285/19's on the back, I really want those tyres to be lasing as long as absolutely possible!

Yes the car is as it arrived, the very first photo I posted is from last week the day after it arrived.

Ben
Old 06-05-06, 09:30 AM
JRG
Driver School Candidate

The bushing I was refering to is pictured in your third picture in your last post. It is the bushing just under your highlited part in the "trailing arm" that runs front to back. The HAMMERED bushings in my car were the aft bushing located at the bottom of the spindle. As Tammy said, you cant just lift the car under the axle as the weight is still on the suspention, you have to remove all unsprung weight by lifting from the sides till the tires are off the ground. The trailing arm holds the axle in place front to rear or in other words keeps the axle from ripping itself out on accelerate/decelerate. Hope this helps.

JRG
Old 06-05-06, 02:05 PM
AussiLS400
Driver School Candidate

I agree with JRG. The one circled usually gives no greef, its the one under it that runs forward. If you take it off and check the carrier bush (providing its the original) you with see what we mean. I replaced mine with SupaPro bushes available by order from Autobarn. I think Noltec also do them. The only other aftermarket parts available are the front upper control arm bushes. Any others you have to send overseas for. I've ordered stuff from the states a few times and find you can save heaps on Aust prices. Nice looking car, has it got compliance and rego yet?
Old 06-06-06, 02:09 AM
Blipman
Driver School Candidate

Hmm ok it sounds like the one which is gone on mine is not the common one Mine is the arm which runs at 90 degrees to the length of the car, the one you have both replaced sounds like the one that runs forwards at 45 degrees. Well now, that's not so helpful to me

Ben
Old 06-06-06, 02:21 PM
AussiLS400
Driver School Candidate

OK, the one you want (in the picture) is called the #1 lower susp arm. Lexus only part. Part # R48710-50020 L48720-50010 w/air susp....R/L48710-50010 w/o air susp. Lists as $94 US so it will probably run at around $240 AUS or so. Try Toyota with the part # first as sometimes the parts cross match with them and are generally a lot cheaper....The engine is common with the V8 Land Cruiser for instance.

Last edited by AussiLS400; 06-06-06 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 02:17 AM
Blipman
Driver School Candidate

AusiiLS400 you are a legend, thank you!

Ben