LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone replace the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 07:19 AM
sahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone replace the fuel pump?

I am about to order a new one off ebay from some TRE site for 50 bucks. My old one is giving out on me, I guess it is from driving too much with only 1/4-1/8 tank since the fuel cools the pump.

Anyhow, as far as I know, it is a pretty easy job. With a 3-400 dollar part, the shop was going to charge me less than 600 total. You pull the rear seats, drain the gas tank, remove the fuel lines/connections to the fuel pump that is inside, and replace. Is that it? I've done the tb/wp job myself so I'm decently mechanically inclinded.
Old 05-24-06, 08:43 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Fuel pump failure instances are very rare in the LS, you don’t see many failures reported.
But what’s this pump for $50?

Here is the how, with pics, thanks to Lextreme:
http://www.lextreme.com/fp.htm

I recommend a Walbro 255 LPH (which is more then plenty if needed) at $105.
http://www.jazzproparts.com/ProductD...%2D760%2DLS400
Old 05-24-06, 11:49 AM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sahtt,

I wouldn't get the pump from ebay unless you plan on doing this job again in the near future. The most reliable automotive fuel pump in the world is the original equipment Denso fuel pump. You can buy it from sparkplugs.com for $100. Although I also do like the Walbro pump that Grand mentions, the added fuel flow rates are simply beyond the need and use of standard configuration LS and you will not gain any performance from it. The tank does not have to be drained to do this, in fact I usually leave a 1/3 of a tank when doing a fuel pump replacement. Although this is a straight forward job, it's also very dangerous because your dealing with a tank that has fuel vapors!! Make sure you disconnect the battery, don't use any power tools around the tank, and wear rubber gloves to avoid any static discharge you might cause. I would also do this job outside of the garage and have a fan continuously blowing air through the car to prevent vapor accumulation. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 05-24-06, 01:09 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the website.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

It's the first place I saw sub $150 prices, and has 1 year warranty. The sparkplugs.com model also seems to be a good deal. I'll make my decision by 5pm today. The task looks pretty easy, probably the easiest thing I've done on the car actually. The only part that caught my attention was the 'wiring' part. It will probably be self explanatory, but the wires are just plug and play right?

I looked on lexls for a write-up, I'm glad you found one for me. I was considering doing my own if it hadn't been done to help out.

I was also a bit shocked when they told me it was the pump. It's not as rare as you might think, I know two people that had it replaced a long with the regulator and some screen. The pump is defintely my problem, DON'T DRIVE with less than 1/4 tank for extended periods of time. I am guilty of driving it for about a month in stop and go traffic with 1/8 tank before I started having these problems severely [wouldn't start warm]. The best lexus shop in Houston, C&C Northside Auto owner himself worked on/tested my car.