LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Water Leak From Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 05:44 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak From Sunroof

When it rains and the car is parked at a slight angle down, the front corner of the passenger side ceiling gets wet and water leaks in. I noticed when driving and I close the sunroof from the TILT position, I hear air coming in still. So, I open it the other way and close it, then the wind noise is gone.

But, when I park the car at angle, with the front of the car lower, the water still gets in somehow, causing a lot of water to get to the carpet and on the passenger seat.

Any recommendations?
Old 05-22-06, 05:56 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try to locate the exact source of the leak first. If you have no luck with that, try replacing the weather strip/seal that goes around the sunroof.
Old 05-22-06, 07:56 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are two drain holes at the front corners of the sunroof. The odds are that one or both of these are plugged up with dirt and other debris.

I had the same problem with my 93 LS last year. I ran a length of plastic trimmer line down the hole and was able to get the drain open. Later I bought a small compressor and was able to blow out the drains with air. The problem with a compressor is sealing off the drain opening so the full force of the air goes into the drain. I pushed a short length of plastic fuel line hose on the end of the air nozzle and then inserted this hose into the drain opening. This sealed it enough to get the full force of the air into the drain opening.

When you get the drain open, you can check it by running some water down the drain hole. The water should exit the car body slightly to the rear of the front wheels.
Old 05-22-06, 09:11 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I noticed that drain hole when I stuck my head out the sunroof. When I get a chance, I'll try to clear that out. Did you get water dripping from your roof also?
Old 05-23-06, 07:48 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I had the problem of water leaking into the inside of the car.

The driveway where I park my car slopes to the front and right. The right front drain hole is the one that got blocked. The headliner on the passenger side below the sunroof rail became saturated, and the water dripped onto the passenger seat and floor. I was fortunate in that the material used in the headliner did not show any water marks after I got the leak stopped.

The problem in getting the drain open is the direction it takes. Within about two inches of where it begins, it makes a sharp turn downward. This means that anything you run into it to try to open it has to be both stiff to some extent and also flexible enough to get past the turn. The plastic trimmer line (like that used on a gasoline or electric string trimmer) was about all I could come up with that I could manipulate past the turn.

I had this same problem on a Honda Prelude and an Acura Legend. I took both cars to the dealerships and watched how they opened the drains. They used compressed air directed through a wand-like nozzle and blew out the lines.
Old 05-23-06, 03:14 PM
AussiLS400
Driver School Candidate

There are also 2 drains to the rear going down the quarters. Its not a propersition doing the seal around the glass as it is factory molded to the glass. There is an article in the library part of this forum that goes over leaks and adjustments. You have to take down the hood lining to access the back ones.