LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 LS400 Noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-01, 07:00 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys there is a noise coming from my LS sounds like a suspension metal kinda noise my dad says he thinks its a bushing or something, anywyas its coming from the front right under braking and right turns. Anyone know what it could be or how to fix it?

have any of you had similar problems? what was the fix? thanks
Old 09-18-01, 09:07 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its most likely the shocks. Whats the sound? Squiking?
Old 09-18-01, 09:08 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had something kinda similar...

My 90 LS has been making the same type of noise for the last two years. Only does it when the outside temp gets around or below freezing. Seemed more like potholes or dips, rather than sharp turns, that brought the sound out though. Anyway, lubing the bushings has taken care of it each time it started.
Old 09-19-01, 01:00 PM
BkInBlk
Rookie

I hope that you do not have the model with the adjustable air suspension. At about 100K miles the actuators will begin to wear out and there is no fix. On my '93 (since sold) the front shocks, which must be replaced with all of the air suspension hardware, run about $2,400 to replace. The rear shocks are much cheaper - only $1,600! I replaced the front ones on mine, but when the rear started to go, I upgraded to a '98.

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-01, 02:31 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks guys... hm.. i dont think we have the air suspension, is it adjustable from inside? if so we do not have it, also it doens't sound like squeaking but more like thump kinda... i'll order new bushings and lube them, and if the problem isn't gone we'll get new springs and shocks hehehe, may as well modify right?
Old 09-19-01, 03:46 PM
petrojeff
Driver

My '92 Ls 400 makes a low kind of rumbling noise in the right front wheel well area when going over road markers etc. The car ride is good ,it's just when I go over something it makes that metal on metal noise. I just got off the phone with a Lexus mechanic and he says it is likely the upper strut cushion. His comment though is the labor charge is the same if the strut and cushion are replaced as if only the cushion is replaced. Is this true? and is it feasible for me to replace the front struts? I have replaced shocks, but only on American cars. Do I have to compress the front spring to replace the strut and the cushion? Comments are appreciated.
Old 09-19-01, 09:13 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

I do not know where my noise is coming from.Ever since I got my 18in chormes I guess the extra weight is the cause of the squeeking noise.
Old 09-20-01, 01:18 PM
Rulex
Driver School Candidate

hey lexusrules,

I had that problem and have it again on a different side
if the noise is metalic, but kinder soft, your upper ball joint in the control arm might have went, which is kinda expensive.
I also had the noise on turns and when going over bumps, somewhat heavy rattling in a way.

If u have the definite metalic noise, not soft, which is very fine rattling and when u going over a rough road u hear it non-stop, all you might need to do is change a little part, inexpensive, i forgot the name, but would be able to find out.
Old 09-20-01, 01:20 PM
Rulex
Driver School Candidate

Petrojeff,

When going over the speed markers or a rough road, try stepping on the brake and see if the noise would go away
if the noise is not there when braking, then its a small part which i mentioned to LexusRules
let me know if that happens and I ll find out what the part is
Old 09-20-01, 01:23 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Awesome, Rulex, I'm on my way out to igve it a spin. I'll let you know by tonite.
Old 09-20-01, 01:41 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

yea it sounds more like a softer thump thump then the kinda sound you would get from dropping a screw or nail on sheet metal. ball joint eh?

there are so many answers here how could i test to see which one it is?

a) Bushings
b) Shocks
c) Upper Strut Cushion
d) Ball Joint

how do i know?
Old 09-20-01, 05:01 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Okay, Rulex, tried the braking while going over the road markers, and it still made the noise. I think I know what you are saying if the noise disappears when you brake, the calipers are tightening the pads and if the pads or calipers are then clamped upon, the noise would go away. therefore, this might rule out loose brake parephenalia. Sasha asks how you could tell if it is

1. Bushings
2. shocks
3. upper strut cushion
4. Ball Joints

The first three are related to changing out the shock or strut. If any of the first three are wrong, a strut,shock changout will fix it. I assume you change the top cushion, bushing and strut all at once. I dont know the symptoms of a bad ball joint. I assume the alignment would be affected and an alignmetn check would tell that. Ball joints are also engineered to last quite a while. Since Sasha's GS is a 98 model, I would doubt the ball joints. But since the car is driven in Canada(notorious for potholes) it probably is a good bet that something is wrong with the cushion,strut,bushing. Note, that if you change one of the previous, you should change all three. As for mine, I am taking off my wheels this weekend to look at the brakes, and then I will change the front struts after I talk to a lexus mechanic in about 7 or 8 days. Keep watching and I will post what was exactly wrong and get this thing solved.
Old 09-20-01, 05:31 PM
Rollin
Driver School Candidate

Default Let's see.....

Recalls/TSB's:

1) SU95006 NOV 95 Strut Bar - Cushion Noise When Stopping
2) SU92001 JUL 92 Front Upper Control Arm Bushing - Noise
3) BRAK001 SEP 90 Front Brakes - Popping Noise
Old 09-20-01, 05:56 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Good one, Rollin. I was going there next. High probability that it is both the top cushion and the bushing. Moral of the story replace both front struts. I would sure like to get my hands on a full print of the front suspension. Are there manuals out there? And if so where do I get them?
Old 09-21-01, 04:52 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks guys, no i'm talking about my dads 1994 LS400 so would that make the ball joing a possibiblty? maybe i should fix it all at once! hahaha are there any other bushings than just the one in the shock?

Quick Reply: 1994 LS400 Noises