LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Proposed Upgrades: Need Some Input!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 12:31 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proposed Upgrades: Need Some Input!

I'm thinking of spending about $5k On my 94 LS400. I'm just coming out of college and my car has 175K miles on it. I'm thinking that I can keep the car for atleast 3 more years, and then I'll probably go to business school, so who knows where I'll be or wether or not I will need a car. I figure I can save a lot of money over those years and 4 or 5 years from now I can buy a much nicer car than I would be able to buy now.

My goal for these upgrades is get the most bang for the buck, but spend the money wisely in things that will improve the overall experience of owning the car.

1) Tokico + Eibach combination: $1000 ($500 for parts + labor)
2) MRR HR2 Wheels (see below) in a 18 or 19" setup. (Can't decide). ($1000-$1300 + tires so approx ($2000))
3) Black window tint ($500)
4) New leather from LeatherSeats.com ($800)
5) Daizen sway bar bushings kit ($30)... Install it myself. I want to do the control arm bushings as well but the labor for that is pretty high.
6) Whatever money I have left I"ll put back into my audio system. Right now I have an PioneerDEH-P7700 with CDT EF-51's in the front, mated to an older Alpine AMP, along with a JL W3 in the trunk. The system works great with my ipod .

So what do you guys think? Should there be other upgrades higher up on my list? I think the leather will give the car a "new car" feel, and the suspension upgrades will significant improve the handling. I still can't decide wether to go with 18" or 19" wheels. Here's a picture of the one I'm looking at. How do you think this will look on my silver LS?

Here's what the wheel looks like:

I took a tire rack image of my car and did a quick photoshop with this wheel. My car is much brighter silver, and I plan to do black tints, not reflective.

Those are supposed to be 19". I think 20" wheels are just too big.

How will my handling change with these much larger wheels?

Like I said before, my goals are to just restore the car to give it a nicer feel both in terms of the interior as well as the way it handles. The wheels also serve to give it a nicer look, to kind of bring the excitement of having a new car. The tint will acent the look of the car as well as protect the new leather interior.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, especially other people's experiences. Thanks!

Last edited by Suneet; 05-03-06 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 01:45 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20's are just right IMO? The LS's are big cars and I have tried 18's and they just don't look right. The fender gap "looks" bigger because the face of the wheels got bigger with the 18's. It's more of an optical illusion but a hideous that I just can't live with. What people end up doing is dropping the car 2" + to compensate for the fender gap and I think It really cheapens the car and the ride.

It's suppose to be a luxury car and not meant to be a slammed wannabe race car, because it wil never be one. But in all fairness, there are aggressively lowered LS's out there that looks really really clean.

19's are a good compromise with a 1.5" drop. Eibach's are a good choice. Tanabe seems to be a little too low. And then there's H&R.

Just to give you an Idea, I tried >>> Ultra Wheels 20x8.5, Toyo Proxes 245/35/20, on my stock 97 shocks and springs. The result was a 3 finger gap in the front and 3.25 in the back. If I do decided to stay with that set-up, I will definitely lower the car with a 1" drop springs. Just with the upgraded wheels and tires, the car handled better already.

Good luck and try to learn from peoples mistakes. Unfortunately I did it the hard way. Personal trial and error.
Old 05-03-06, 03:49 PM
Luxury_LEX
Driver

Black window tint $500??? Thats way overpriced
Old 05-03-06, 05:01 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

$500 isn't the price its a budget.. I'm hoping it will be a lot less. On a side note, does anyone know of any good Tint shops in the Bay Area?
Old 05-03-06, 05:08 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rocky mountain window tint in livermore will do 5 windows for $250 and it comes with a lifetime warranty, ive had my tint for over a year now and its flawless

for styling ques, I recommend http://www.vipstylecars.com

the forums there are a great resource

Last edited by Brandicus; 05-03-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 06:28 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

$5000 is alot of loot to make a 1st gen LS look hot...but it depends on your style.

You are heading toward the "look another lexus with wheels" crowd.

Here are my suggestions:

1: JIC FLT VIP coilovers
2: Some used wheels from www.memoryfab.com, www.fetchvip.com, www.takumiproject.com

And now you have one bad *** LS.
Old 05-05-06, 01:20 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 95 LS and decided on H & R with a 1" drop. I will be replacing the struts with Bilstein next month. My 18's (8.5 on front and 9.5 on rear) roll smooth and there is less than a 1.5" fender gap .

The guys at MemoryFab are great. They helped me when I was trying to get the right wheel. I think Pagong has the right advice for you. I have some pics in my gallery if you want to see the gap, etc.

Please post your pics before and after.
Old 05-09-06, 07:12 PM
crazimofo
Driver

Default steveski

I want to see the gap..got any pics?
send them to me! or post it so everyone can see.
thanks
Old 05-10-06, 09:18 AM
biglexass
Lead Lap

iam also gonna put five grand in my ls and iam streatching it way fither then you.rims,bodykit,paint,tvs,horns,and leather seats......what now ooo yes and by horns i mean train
Old 05-10-06, 03:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by biglexass
iam also gonna put five grand in my ls and iam streatching it way fither then you.rims,bodykit,paint,tvs,horns,and leather seats......what now ooo yes and by horns i mean train
what kinda paint u gunna get with that?
Old 05-10-06, 11:21 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Take a look at some of these photoshops with some different wheels I've been considering after looking through MemoryFab and other places. I think the wheels will be the last thing I buy so I can save up more:

Wald Streifen 1PC:

Work Equpi's:

Work Euroline DH.. Very similar to Wald Duchatelet

Special thanks to Seize for those three photoshops, as well as absolut for doing some others!
Old 05-11-06, 11:21 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I'm looking at a set of Wald Duchatelet 5Hx114.3 19x8 +43 from MemoryFab for a great deal. Plus they're located right next to me in UnionCity. Will those fit my 94 LS? The boly pattern is right.. I'm not sure about the offset etc. This setup isn't staggered. Should I try and wait for one?
Old 05-11-06, 11:28 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

A lot of companies have wheels that are VERY similar to the Duchatelet. SSR has the "Vienna" dish that looks almost the same, and they are also a quality company. Who came out with the original on this design? If I buy a set of SSR's, am I buying "knockoffs" ?
Old 05-11-06, 12:30 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Suneet
A lot of companies have wheels that are VERY similar to the Duchatelet. SSR has the "Vienna" dish that looks almost the same, and they are also a quality company. Who came out with the original on this design? If I buy a set of SSR's, am I buying "knockoffs" ?
Funny you mentioned that...I think the HAMMERS back in the 80's started the the design...

The best one...my opinion though.

Last edited by Pagong; 05-11-06 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-11-06, 01:17 PM
absolut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Suneet
I'm looking at a set of Wald Duchatelet 5Hx114.3 19x8 +43 from MemoryFab for a great deal. Plus they're located right next to me in UnionCity. Will those fit my 94 LS? The boly pattern is right.. I'm not sure about the offset etc. This setup isn't staggered. Should I try and wait for one?
Yes, those would fit perfect. Although I think they would look alot better with an aggressive drop w/ coilovers rather than just lowering springs.

That's just my opinion though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Proposed Upgrades: Need Some Input!