LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Here ...Need some LS Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-01, 10:17 AM
MJC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been considering the purchase of an '02 LS430 for awhile ...compared the car against MB and Audi and, although they are fine cars, one can't help but note they cost considerably more and my objective is value for the money. Haven't looked at Infiniti yet, but would welcome constructive feedback on their new Q.

I'm currently a Bimmer guy ...currently own an '01 M5, X5, '00 540i and a 97 Porsche C4S. I'm getting rid of the M5 and possibly the C4S and replacing it with a more refined lux car that's also sporty. The 540 and X5 are the wife's and family cars.

I'm favoring the LS, One thing I dont see they have, and I'm hoping someone here can provide info on, is a handling package. With other german manufacturers, you can order a factory sport package, either gently modified (as in MB's Sport pkg) or from a factory aligned tuner (e.g., AMG for MB or Dinan for BMW). Yeah, they have this package with 17" wheels, but that's about it.

I'm looking for a little more HP (perhaps with chip/cold air/throttle upgrades), firmer and more responsive handling (I know I wont get Porsche-like handling).

My question - who are the Lexus tuners and what is Lexus' policy towards these type of modifications? I know with MB, anything from Hartge/Brabus voids warranty, but with BMW, any Dinan authorized dealer is OK to the warranty.

Thanks in advance. Cheers,

Marty
Old 09-14-01, 10:20 AM
MJC
Driver School Candidate

hmm.. I just saw the sticky that loule posted ...
Old 09-14-01, 11:24 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can increase handling performance by L-Tuned doe Lexus.Which is like the M for BMW.

Contact Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota for the best prices on L-Tuned products.

his e-mail is
gonzo4u@earthlink.com

http://www.carsontoyota.com

the phone number should be on the website
Steve Ganz is the parts and accessiories manager.

If you are going to buy a LS430 now I would just wait because there might be a V-12 LS430 on the horizon,although it is specalation,but I am pretty sure it will carry the V-12.

Last edited by LOTC; 09-14-01 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-14-01, 10:24 PM
MJC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Eric. I'll check it out. SOmone also suggested TRD .however, me-thinks TRD would be more oriented (no pun intended ) towards the GS/IS models. Your thoughts?

Thanks again
Old 09-15-01, 07:41 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Actually TRD does not have much for the Lexus models.L-Tuned is farily new,but is it is approved by Lexus and will not ruin the warranty,should ask about your Lexus dealer first though.
Old 09-15-01, 11:20 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

I'm probably going to get hammered for this comment but considering your past choice of vehicles my recommendation would be to seriously take a look at the GS. It may suit your needs for both refinement and luxury, as well as unparalleled reliability. The GS will ALWAYS have more of a following when it comes to aftermarket modifications. As far as voiding the warranty, L-tuned products won't void it if installed by the dealer. There have been some that say an ASE certified mechanic will suffice. There are also some differences from dealer to dealer. Some don't mind modifications as much as others. BTW, I own an LS so I'm not trying to convert you or anything, just trying to expand your options.

Josh
Old 09-15-01, 01:52 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh, what are you thinking?! J/K
I'm gonna have to agree with Zushwa on this one.
The LS is a more refine car then the GS thus the limited following on fixing it up, plus the LS430 is way to new to have any aftermarket right now.
MJC, if you are that true into performance and still have the luxury then I would recommend you taking a look at the GS or it's competition (5 series, E-class, or A6). Oh, I think I'm going to get ripped for that. :eek:

I might also be going out on a limp here but the Lex aftermarket will get stronger soon when more of us mod heads push them to do something to compete with the AMG, M-series, and S-series. I think Lexus won't hold out much longer and possibly have things planned already.
Haven't you notice that Toyota Japan is going a little more agressive in the youth market lately? This is a good sign for us mod heads and a bad sign for the Hondas out there.
Old 09-15-01, 03:10 PM
TMitchell
Driver

Question

What is your reason to get rid of your M5? Most people consider it the ultimate luxury sport sedan.
Old 09-15-01, 05:40 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Yeah that I wonder to why do you wanna get rid of a 01 M5?

I disagree on the LS/GS thing.Yes the GS had more mods,but I would wait until the new V-12 LS 430 to come out and then compare the two cars.
Old 09-15-01, 05:42 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, it is worth the wait. Its not like a tourture to wait for a new car in your '01 M5
Old 09-17-01, 10:37 AM
MJC
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, thanks again for your feedback and comments.

Regarding suggestions to consider the GS route ...I did consider it back in 2000 when I purchased the 540.

Two reasons why I didn't purchase the GS400 --
- the backseat was pretty tight at for my needs at the time, a trivial consideration, but when you have to drive and/or shuttle adults over kids, it makes a big difference
- some of you might agree/disagree on the next reason, but there were a few salespersons at the dealerships I visited who were pretty arrogant, suggesting that I'd be silly for looking at anything elsebut a GS, that I would regret whatever I purchase and come back to trade in for a GS. You see, I consider sales and service a factor when I shop around for cars. IMO, sales makes the first impression of how a dealership is managed, sometimes service rises above sales, but if one has a problem with service how does one get it resolved? In the past, the sales folks were my saviors.

Fortunately, the sales person at one Lexus dealership I recently visited for the LS is a 180-degree reversal of the former, but at another, the sales person was adament (SIC?), that Infiniti's Q45 should not be compared to the LS, when I mentioned my LS, Q45 and S-class considerations. In any case, all past judgement did not come into consideration this time (forgive and forget).

Regarding why I'm selling the M5 ...it was an impulse purchase. Last year, while shopping for a performance car, I was set on buying an M5, but didn't want to pay the ridiculous markups so instead purchased a Porsche 996. The 996 was a fun car to drive, albeit a bit noisy with the air cooled engine in the back, so earlier this year, when my BMW salesperson (bought 4 cars from him previously) called and said he has a cancelled M5 and he would let me have it for a very good price, so I traded my 996 for it.

A few months go by, and I miss the Porsche, so, I came upon a C4S and jumped on it. Ever since then, the M5 sits idle in the garage, it goes out once, maybe twice a month, but since March of this year, it's only been driven 1200 miles ...plus, my wife wants to park her car in the garage.

Some of you mentioned refined, it was one of the reasons why I chose the M5, thinking it would've served that purpose, but having two other cars in the 5-series class, it didn't turn out the way I had hoped it would. Now, if it was a 7-series body with an M-modified engine, then it would've been different. At this time, I rather have a larger car over the 'mid-size' sedans as in the 5-series or E-class. To me, they're all similarly sized.

So why am I also thinking about getting rid of the C4S? A couple of reasons,
- I have a broad shoulder and the seats are narrow so its a bit uncomfortable when I drive it for any period of time
- my wife wants her garage space back. She wants to be able to drive in/out of the garage before it begins to rain, esp. when she's driving the kids
- my neighbors have asked several times to buy it

When is the new v12 coming out? That would be an awesome car! Would the v12 be a decendant of the mid-atlantic racing or CART cars?

Regarding loule's comment about Toyota and becoming agressive - yes, I would have to agree with you. I think they would apply any technologies they're using in mid-Atlantic racing and CART to apply towards the consumer market. It's just a matter of time before its available to the consumers, but I also think it'll be awhilebefore there's a demand for luxury cars like the LS that will receive these treatments. I think the new v12 is a way of saying it'll compete with BMW (7 series), MB (s55) and Audi (S8), how they outfit the car will determine its exact placement.

btw, how does one post a picture? I tried the attach file, but when previewing my reply, it didn't show up. I wanted to give you a sense of what I have to work with.

Cheers,

Marty
Old 09-17-01, 10:50 AM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by MJC
Hey guys, thanks again for your feedback and comments.

Marty.....
MJC, do you mind if i ask what you do living???

i want to live like MJC.......
i want to have some choices between M5 and porsche(i will still pick lexus over them and mod them like crazy, like jap ppl in a VIP maz. ).

ps> if i have $$$ i will consider services. if i don't have $$$ i will consider the low prices, and forget services.
Old 09-17-01, 04:19 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sorry guys.....

Sorry......

I think you should look at the 2002 Q45....340hp! Maybe with a few suspension mods, it could handle the way you want it to. Sorry, not sure what mods would violate warranty tho. If not the new q, then maybe a new 7 series(sorry again). Not sure if its as quick as some others but probably will come avalable with a sport package. Sorry guys!

Old 09-17-01, 04:36 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is' of course, a matter of taste, but I would never consider a NEW BMW7 over an LS or even a GS. The new BMW is far too ugly outside and it looks more like a unfinished/badly designed concept vehicle. I can not tell you too much about Q45 since I never got to drive one (I sat in one while my friend was driving). All I can say is that none of the cars mention above will have the ride quality of an LS. You can always mod a Lexus suspension to hav more performance, but I doubt that you can turn a performance/luxury suspension to pure luxury.

Also since you are looking for the car that you do not want to mod, the new LS is the best choice in cars right now.
Old 09-17-01, 04:57 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Yea.....the new LS is sweet, but i don't think it could make up for the sportiness of an M5. For luxury it beats the M5 big time. An S-class would work, but if you don't mind that much about their stylying differences, i'd go with the LS.

Quick Reply: New Here ...Need some LS Info