LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Those that have converted from Air suspension to Coilovers, need advice! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 11:33 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Those that have converted from Air suspension to Coilovers, need advice! Thanks!

I am having an elusive problem with my air suspension system, which the RETARDED dealership (Longo Lexus) cannot identify. It is also very likely that they haven't done the installation correctly. Anyways,they are just blowing me off, when I bring up the problem. I'm sick and tired of this!! (I just spent over $2000 on 2 brand new front air shocks, and my vehicle rides VERY VERY VERY HARSH/STIFF at times (I get a HARD "JOLT" every time I hit a sharp bump or pothole)....sometimes erratically, the suspension gets very "absorbent" and "compliant", which lasts for a period of time and then gradually goes back to becoming EXTREMELY firm/harsh to the point where I can feel every GRAIN on the road surface through the seats. This unbelievably harsh ride also happens when I brake for a traffic light (I can feel every crack in the road through the seat) ........Longo Lexus says that's just the way an air suspension equipped LS is supposed to ride. What a bunch of *****ing BS .....anyways, I've just about had it with this car, and want to convert it to a stock coil spring setup!! (my previous silver '00 LS with the regular steel coil-spring suspension rode smooth as sailing on GLASS-SMOOTH-WATER, compared to this horrendous ride. MIND YOU, even before I changed the shocks the ride was not "all that smooth/compliant" compared to the coil spring suspension, but I assumed that it was because of worn out shocks. However after changing the shocks it has gotten absolutely unbearable

Strutmasters has a "coil spring conversion kit" and I'm wondering if I convert whether I will get the same OEM coil spring ultra-smooth ride like I had on my silver LS 400?? .....I would really really appreciate it if anyone who has converted can chime in. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money one more time, just to get right back to a "firm" ride again. Once again, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR HANDLING....just the super smooth extremely SOFT OEM/stock LS 400 ride, like a coil spring LS.

Thanks in advance for the input!!!

Last edited by vicpai; 04-09-06 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 01:47 PM
Bigkahuna
Rookie

The air struts may be dammaged. Or when this happend with bags, the air cylender is to full of air and is keeping the strut bag overly stiff not allowing play or travel. Check the solinoids that let the air out, they may be clogged
Old 04-14-06, 12:59 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up Bigkahuna, thanks for your input!!

I will be taking it in shortly and have them re-inspect the shocks. They've looked at them twice now and say that they're perfectly OK, but they only seem to be looking at this from a "are they LEAKING or not" point of view. I also hear a "knocking" noise when going over certain very UNEVEN type of bumps, which seems to be coming from the shocks. So they could very well be damaged. However, it seems odd to me that BOTH the new shocks would be damaged pieces.

What you say about the "vent solenoids" being clogged also makes very good sense.....Hopefully they can find whats wrong and fix it once and for all

Another weird thing the car does is, when it's fully loaded with passengers, after some time of driving it raises itself like 2 inches above stock height making it look like a sort of "off roader". Also at odd times, the front end (both sides) seems to be higher than it should be even though the height switch is in the "NORMAL" position. I'm wondering if there could be problem with the height sensors, but then again ALL FOUR height sensors?? ....seems odd!! (the manual says that in the HIGH setting the damping is set to FIRM, and that's why I'm wondering if this could be a possible cause)

Do you know if there is one common vent solenoid for all 4 wheels, or 2 (one for front and back) ...or one for each wheel??

Thanks again for your input!!

Last edited by vicpai; 04-14-06 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 07:56 PM
soldier
Driver School Candidate

Smile Ls 400 1990

Hey team, i am writing for some advice i own a 1990 celsior with air bag suspension. Question can you fit a controller/adjuster to make it lower then the normal settings? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-14-06, 10:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

go do a search, theres ton of threads on A/S controllers.

short answer-yes
Old 05-17-06, 07:45 PM
crazimofo
Driver

need some advice on this matter as well..
any info on the swap would be nice.
thanks

anybody done this first hand?
Old 05-20-06, 11:12 AM
Bob Baran
Driver School Candidate

Possible suspension issues aside, did you also consider optimal tire pressure? I noticed on my '94 LS400 which came with "Yuk"ihama yk420's. I found the optimal ride was was 30 1/2 to 31 psi...Huge difference at 30 or 32 psi. At 32 psi I'm feeling everything on the road and it's "bouncy" at 30 psi it's "cuffy" (my term) smooth ride but doesn't track well. I'll be upgrading to Touranza's soon but thought my tire pressure experience and huge difference in ride quality may some impact on your situation.

-Bob
Old 05-24-06, 12:44 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Arrow Bob, thanks for your resonse.....

Originally Posted by Bob Baran
Possible suspension issues aside, did you also consider optimal tire pressure? I noticed on my '94 LS400 which came with "Yuk"ihama yk420's. I found the optimal ride was was 30 1/2 to 31 psi...Huge difference at 30 or 32 psi. At 32 psi I'm feeling everything on the road and it's "bouncy" at 30 psi it's "cuffy" (my term) smooth ride but doesn't track well. I'll be upgrading to Touranza's soon but thought my tire pressure experience and huge difference in ride quality may some impact on your situation.

-Bob
......and do you have the air suspension as well??
Old 05-24-06, 01:07 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds very possible to be a problem with one of the ride height sensors, which will not allow the suspension to "know" or "think" it is at the right height or air pressure/volume.
Old 05-24-06, 08:26 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

updates on the problem?
Old 05-27-06, 09:55 AM
mikelexus1
Driver School Candidate

I have converted an air suspension car over to a coil suspension. It is pretty simple, but can be costly. Just get all the factory parts.(upper strut mounts, coils,insulators boots, and struts) assemble them and swap the new assemblies with the old. Then take the lights out of the dash cluster, so you don't have to see them anymore