LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Power Steering Leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-01, 12:36 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How many LS400 owners in this forum have had problem with steering leak?

What was the problem?
Was is the high pressure hose? or
Low pressur hose? or
the Pump itself?

At how many miles does it happen to your car?

How much did it cost to fix it?

Thanks in Advance

VQT 93 SC400
Old 08-24-01, 12:47 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my power steering does not work. it happened on about 170k miles and i dont know what the cause is.
Old 08-24-01, 12:50 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last month I just had the entire system changed.After two weeks all the fulid from the pump was gone.I had the mechanic check the entire system and he still found no leaks.

It is puzzling becuase there were no leaks,but my power sterring pump comsumes alot of oil.

The enitre system was checked and no oil from the undercarrage was found.

It puzzled me and the mechanic,but we still do not know why.
Old 08-24-01, 01:16 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

it happened to me.. i had it happen at around 130k. I used this no leak type fulid for about a month. It's power steering fluid but it suppose to condition and restore shrinking hoses. The tank would go down half way in a week, but after using the thing, it stoped. notice that is wouldn't go down as much after the first week, and after a month it stayed the same. So it cure it i guess, i guess the hose was just dry or something. i got the thing at wal-mart.
tony
Old 08-24-01, 01:18 PM
TonyN
Instructor

hey edogg,,
check your undercar. I tihnk your fulid is leaking into or onto other componets, like your alternator.
tony
Old 08-24-01, 08:14 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Tony,I did have the mechanic who replaced the entire power steering pump check entire under side of my car.Alternators and all the pipes were dry.He inspected everything undrneath the entire front side and still found no leaks,but it still puzzuled him that is was consuming that much fluid.

What was that brand of fluid that you bought at wal-mart called?Is it safe to use for the LS?

Old 08-24-01, 09:00 PM
fantomd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem with my ls , I never see any fuild nuder the car but the fuild is missing from the pump and I hear noise comming from the pump. I think the fuild is leaking onto the alternator and then must dry up from the heat before it can reach the ground? Has anyone got the problem fixed? If so how much and what did they replace?
Old 08-24-01, 09:14 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Yeah i hear that whining sound as well when the pump is low on fluid.It only goes away once I refill it.
Old 08-24-01, 09:35 PM
spykedawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if the leak can mess up your alternator? cause mine leaks occasionally (and i use the "gunk" power steering leak sealer thing), but when my music hits now, my lights really dim, even when the car is moving. can it be messing up my alternator? or is our stock alt too small to work with car audio?
Old 08-24-01, 09:38 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

The leak can short or damage the altenator.If your system hits that hard and it makes your lights dim.I would get a capcitor or a stronger charger just to be safe.
Old 08-25-01, 12:50 AM
TonyN
Instructor

the fluid was called "No leak"... it's a tirple protection, conditioning and such things.. it's works for me. took about a month and there was no more leaks. I don't think it will short your alternator, maybe build up inside when the liquid get inside and affect the performance. I dont' know if it will work for you, but it did for me. Good luck guys. The fuild is going somewhere, just hope it's to the ground. try this, it's should hurt, it's only a couple of bucks. give it a month.. if it still needs refilling then i don't know.. the entire thing was empty into the tank by the end of the month, so that is what is in my resavor at this moment.
tony
Old 08-25-01, 01:58 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can get a rebuilt power sreering pump off e-bay for $120. Make sure its yourpump that is messed up but not rack-on-pinion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...537047&r=0&t=0

good luck
Old 08-25-01, 06:30 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

This is a problem for the SC and LS cars becuase it is so near the engine,it gets so hot that the tubes get worn out when the temp rises to the extreme.
Old 08-27-01, 07:56 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by edogg
This is a problem for the SC and LS cars becuase it is so near the engine,it gets so hot that the tubes get worn out when the temp rises to the extreme.
How much have you spent so far on this steering leaks?

I heard that all Toyota have this problem not just LS400 or SC400
Toyota didn't even fix the problem when they design the Lexus...but we have to pay more to fix it

I just don't want to spend money on the wrong part...:eek:
Old 08-27-01, 08:00 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

I went to a Lexus Mechanic and it cost me about $300 for the whole system plus labor.

Quick Reply: LS400 Power Steering Leaks?